2014 Recruiting | The Boneyard

2014 Recruiting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Bret McCormick@ASGR1995

Jordin Canada 5-7 PG 2014 from Windward HS CA was offered by the Tennessee this past weekend according to AAU coach Elbert Kinnebrew.

=================================

Canada is #4 according to Hoopgurlz in the 2014 class

JS

Reaction Score
Bret McCormick@ASGR1995

Jordin Canada 5-7 PG 2014 from Windward HS CA was offered by Tennessee this past weekend according to AAU coach Elbert Kinnebrew.
Huh. Never too early, eh?

Wonder if this is the start of a trend on their part.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
Interesting. Warlick, as a former guard, may actually bring some improvement to the LV guard situation, which I always felt was a relative weakness for Pat.. The other implication here is that Warlick may be looking to 2014 to make her real recruiting impact. This would be wise of her IMO, because the die is already cast for 2013.

Reaction Score
Huh. Never too early, eh?

Wonder if this is the start of a trend on their part.

It's not THAT early. Early sure, but she is through two years of HS.

Tactically it makes sense -- good way for the new coach to get rolling is by landing a top recruit. The goal, I'm sure, is to show that the ship has been stabilized.

JS

Reaction Score
It's not THAT early.
Was just thinking, when was the last time UConn offered a sophomore? Gemelos?

Agree that it's a good idea for Warlick to get proactive as she can and not just sit around wondering who's gonna walk in the door from 2013.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Interesting. Warlick, as a former guard, may actually bring some improvement to the LV guard situation, which I always felt was a relative weakness for Pat.. The other implication here is that Warlick may be looking to 2014 to make her real recruiting impact. This would be wise of her IMO, because the die is already cast for 2013.
how so? ask Tennessee fans and they expect to land at least 3 and possibly 4 or 5 out of the top 10...

Reaction Score
Was just thinking, when was the last time UConn offered a sophomore? Gemelos?

I was comparing to WCBB in general, not UConn, which typically extends offers later than other schools.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score

One of Warlick's responsibilities as an asst was to coach the LV guards. The guards better be strong next year because the post will be a major weakness.

Reaction Score
TN is actually in the mix for a few good players in the 2013 class..... I think it is this year 2012 that they are in some trouble, with no middle post player coming in, etc.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
UConn doesn't formally offer necessarily, but Diamond DeShields was almost certainly made aware that she would be offerred early in the process.

I am assuming Sierra Calhoun will be offerred, as will Brianna Turner. Haven't heard of anyone else yet.

Reaction Score
I continue to be concerned that we haven't heard anything about whether or not Saniya has been offered.

And to be honest, until one or two of the 2013 class commits, I will continue to be just a little concerned.

Peace,

John Fryer

HGN

Reaction Score
Not a bad move on Warlick's part to offer a top-10 member of the 2014 Class.......Summitt had been the big draw for 2012 and 2013 Class.. 2014 class offers Warlick a real opportunity to start putting her stamp on the Lady Vols as both coach and recruiting drawing card.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Assuming the accuracy of this report, I see it as a positive and vigorous action by (presumably) Holly. She appears to be letting it be known that Tennessee wcbb is not only stabilized but shifting into high gear.

Good for her! I wish her well in what has been a most trying situation.

Reaction Score
It's not THAT early. Early sure, but she is through two years of HS.

Actually since the LV's can't get any 2013 commitments (D-1 or JUCO's) they are encouraging her to accelerate her high school studies so she can graduate early and become their first and only recruit of the 2013 class! Desperate times call for desperate measures. Maybe they should consider posting fliers around campus and conduct an open tryout.

Reaction Score
Assuming the accuracy of this report, I see it as a positive and vigorous action by (presumably) Holly. She appears to be letting it be known that Tennessee wcbb is not only stabilized but shifting into high gear.

Good for her! I wish her well in what has been a most trying situation.
I'll be the first to admit that I'm no expert on the tactics used by coaches in their recruiting moves. Whatever the techniques were in the past, I think the mindset is now different.

Certainly there will be some recruits that want only one school and no other. Those players will accept quickly if offered. But the bulk of the elite players will wait as long as possible to commit for fear that if they commit early, something might happen to make them regret it. That’s the Summitt effect.
Because of this, it may be a mistake for a coach to offer early, because the wait for a response could be embarrassingly long.

I’m not sure an early offer by a coach is a sign of stability or shifting into high gear. It could just as easily be a sign of desperation, that the program doesn’t feel confident that players will wait for their school.

For players that are not in the elite category, an early offer by a coach might be a good strategy, as those players would be more inclined to snap up an offer from a desirable school. But is that good for the school?

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Interesting note from her USA Basketball bio

"Most interesting place you’ve visited: Durham, N.C., where Duke University is, because the school is so overwhelming, and I was in awe."

Ive been to both... and Durham > Knoxville ... of course I might be a taaaaaaaaaaad bit biased :p

Reaction Score
Good for Holly. I hope she gets off to a good start.
What do you mean, "Good for Holly" - she offered the kid. That's a long way from getting a verbal, let alone signing a LOI.

Reaction Score
... Canada is #4 according to Hoopgurlz in the 2014 class
ASGR also has Jordin Canada at #4, but as the #2 point guard in the class, just behind #3 Kelsey Mitchell. HoopGurlz has Kelsey Mitchell at #1 in the 2014 class.

So the real question, it seems to me, is - what's up with Kelsey Mitchell? Anyone following her story?

Reaction Score
Wonkster - Just wishing Holly well. That is all. I am UC fan, but don't wish Holly or UT ill will.

Reaction Score
Wonkster - Just wishing Holly well. That is all. I am UC fan, but don't wish Holly or UT ill will.
Me too! I put the wrong slant on what you posted but didn't realize it until it was too late to edit.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Interesting note from her USA Basketball bio

"Most interesting place you’ve visited: Durham, N.C., where Duke University is, because the school is so overwhelming, and I was in awe."

Ive been to both... and Durham > Knoxville ... of course I might be a taaaaaaaaaaad bit biased :p
I understand that the campus is gorgeous, but Durham overall, not so much.

Reaction Score
ASGR also has Jordin Canada at #4, but as the #2 point guard in the class, just behind #3 Kelsey Mitchell. HoopGurlz has Kelsey Mitchell at #1 in the 2014 class.

So the real question, it seems to me, is - what's up with Kelsey Mitchell? Anyone following her story?
Kelsey Mitchell is from Cincinnati... i hope she ends up going to Cincy she could be a program changer for JJ

Reaction Score
Bret McCormick@ASGR1995

Jordin Canada 5-7 PG 2014 from Windward HS CA was offered by the Tennessee this past weekend according to AAU coach Elbert Kinnebrew.

=================================

Canada is #4 according to Hoopgurlz in the 2014 class
You would think that recruits would wait and see what kind of head coach Warlick is before wanting to go play for her. For her part, you offer a top player you want who shows interest in playing for you before they even know what you can do (nonbinding as a verbal is) . I think it is wise for TN to offer now because if they don't have a typical TN year and I suspect they are not a top 5-10 team people might begin to think she is not a great coach. I don't know how good she will be as a coach because I think it's a lack of talent that will be hard for them to live up to TN of the past.

Reaction Score
You would think that recruits would wait and see what kind of head coach Warlick is before wanting to go play for her.

If that were the case, no new coach would ever get a recruit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom