2014 PG Devonte Graham | Page 2 | The Boneyard

2014 PG Devonte Graham

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
why is Graham's situation different than Isiaac Hamilton or Joseph Young? They didn't get their releaase either but they were eligible the following year. Since Graham was supposed to be a freshman this year why wouldn't he be eligible in 14-15?

arch

Reaction Score
why is Graham's situation different than Isiaac Hamilton or Joseph Young? They didn't get their releaase either but they were eligible the following year. Since Graham was supposed to be a freshman this year why wouldn't he be eligible in 14-15?
Two year ban for backing out of LOI per Zags article.

Reaction Score
Two year ban for backing out of LOI per Zags article.

Yea but I'm not understanding why its a 2 year ban, Isaac Hamilton wanted out of his LOI, his appeal was denied, and he will play for UCLA in 14-15. Same thing happened with Joseph Young and Providence a few years ago.

Reaction Score
Yea but I'm not understanding why its a 2 year ban, Isaac Hamilton wanted out of his LOI, his appeal was denied, and he will play for UCLA in 14-15. Same thing happened with Joseph Young and Providence a few years ago.

I think you have to sit for 1 year after you enroll at your new institution - so it makes it 2 for Graham since he hasn't enrolled anywhere else yet.

Reaction Score
I think you have to sit for 1 year after you enroll at your new institution - so it makes it 2 for Graham since he hasn't enrolled anywhere else yet.

got it, thx

Reaction Score
In a shocking twist, Jeff Goodman (I know) is claiming on twitter that the school that tampered with Graham is NC State.

Reaction Score
Graham's plight is starting to go national. I wonder if that puts pressure on Appalachian State to release him from his LOI.

Yahoo Sports: http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaab...e-appalachian-state-not-223251994--ncaab.html

CBSSports.com: http://www.cbssports.com/collegebas...release-coveted-recruit-from-letter-of-intent

I think it's a matter of time that App State releases him. Unfortunately, when it happens it will likely be too little too late. The fact that this is becoming a national story, it's already painting their program in a bad light. If I'm a recruit that is anywhere borderline high-major or any recruit to that matter who might think "If for some unforeseen reason something happens where I might need to reconsider my decision", is not going to even give App State a sniff.

The longer this takes, the less options Graham is going to have. Teams like UConn are likely going to fill their PG needs with some other player. I guess there's always going to be a team that has an open ship and will take a talented player like Graham even if they have another PG in the fold. It's not uncommon for a team to take a player for depths may it be a back-up or upgrade to who they already have, especially when it comes to the PG position.

IMO, there are two areas that can make a great team good and a good team bad. One is not having enough size to defend the paint and get some easy points in there. I always say, "You can never have too many bigs!" The other is is not having good PG play, which usually means having a solid starting lead guard and at least one who can fill in while he's on the bench. I recall one of the talented MSU Sparty teams that had a ton of talent at the 2-5, but no PG. It killed any chances they had for a deep March Run. I'm sure we can all point to this talented team or that one that just couldn't get things done due to poor PG play.

As a hoops junkie, this would make an interesting thread about what areas of weakness can really bit a team in the ass. I think I'm going to start a new thread on this topic for those interested in chiming in. For example I can remember one or more of our talented UConn teams getting exploited due to poor perimeter D, particularly at the 1 & 2 due to guards that were simply not quick enough to stay in front of the opposing guards. Even the best Team-D scheme can get blown up if the guards can't prevent the opposing guards from blowing right by them and forcing the bigs to have to step up and close off shooting and passing lanes. It's one way that you can get your bigs who might be the strength of you team in early foul trouble and let the game get out of hand real quickly.

Reaction Score
Appalachian State is getting chewed out by Bilas on twitter.

They're duck*ed.

Reaction Score
Tim Floyd and UTEP took a beating, they didn't release I. Hamilton.

Reaction Score
Not releasing a kid is so petty, it says so much about the character of the coach and reflects really poorly on the whole University.

Reaction Score
Not releasing a kid is so petty, it says so much about the character of the coach and reflects really poorly on the whole University.

I disagree.

Kid gives his word, puts his name on it, and effects how a multi-million dollar business conducts its operations. I'm sure App State stopped recruiting PGs after signing this kid, just like UTEP likely stopped recruiting wing scorers after signing Hamilton. Holding the kids - most of them 18-year-olds who have reached the age of majority - to their word is not the problem.

The problem is that coaches are not held to the same standard. Steve Alford wants to leave UNM for UCLA? Fine - sit out two years, and the job's yours, Stevie.

Reaction Score
I guess i must be missing something but the kid did sign a LOI. That is essentially a contract. He should be bound to live up to his word. If you break the contract then you should have to pay some kind of a penalty.

If we dont make people honor a contract then whats the point of making them sign it to begin with. Seems to be sending the wrong message. People think that they can always get out of of whatever they have previously committed themselves to. JMO

Reaction Score
Coaches don't honor any contracts, they can leave whenever they feel like it without sitting out a year. Why on earth should players be held to a higher standard than coaches.

Reaction Score
I guess i must be missing something but the kid did sign a LOI. That is essentially a contract. He should be bound to live up to his word. If you break the contract then you should have to pay some kind of a penalty.

If we dont make people honor a contract then whats the point of making them sign it to begin with. Seems to be sending the wrong message. People think that they can always get out of of whatever they have previously committed themselves to. JMO
No it's not a contract it's restrictions just like bilas said. unpaid employee at that. I find it mind bending a uni would want a disgruntled athlete on their hands anyway smh

Reaction Score

Not really a contract when the school doesn't have to honor a LOI, which in some cases they have done for their own selfish reasons.

Reaction Score
I disagree.

Kid gives his word, puts his name on it, and effects how a multi-million dollar business conducts its operations. I'm sure App State stopped recruiting PGs after signing this kid, just like UTEP likely stopped recruiting wing scorers after signing Hamilton. Holding the kids - most of them 18-year-olds who have reached the age of majority - to their word is not the problem.

The problem is that coaches are not held to the same standard. Steve Alford wants to leave UNM for UCLA? Fine - sit out two years, and the job's yours, Stevie.

There are good arguments to be made on both sides of this issue. In this case though I think not releasing him is pretty harsh given that (1) he first asked for the release in February, so they would have had the Spring period to recruit (it's not a situation like Isaac Hamilton where the team only found out over the summer) and (2) the reason the kid wants out of the LOI is because he 'blew up' and it became apparent that he has the opportunity to play at a much higher level of competition (I'm pretty sure if Jason Capel had signed an LOI with Hampton instead of UNC, and during his senior year got high major buzz that suggested he could probably go to UNC, he'd have wanted out of his LOI too).

In any event, I think schools can grant a release as to recruiting without granting a full release. I don't see any excuse for App State not to do that here. You have to at least let the kid talk to people and figure out his options, even if you're bound and determined to make him sit out a year.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
There are good arguments to be made on both sides of this issue. In this case though I think not releasing him is pretty harsh given that (1) he first asked for the release in February, so they would have had the Spring period to recruit (it's not a situation like Isaac Hamilton where the team only found out over the summer) and (2) the reason the kid wants out of the LOI is because he 'blew up' and it became apparent that he has the opportunity to play at a much higher level of competition (I'm pretty sure if Jason Capel had signed an LOI with Hampton instead of UNC, and during his senior year got high major buzz that suggested he could probably go to UNC, he'd have wanted out of his LOI too).

In any event, I think schools can grant a release as to recruiting without granting a full release. I don't see any excuse for App State not to do that here. You have to at least let the kid talk to people and figure out his options, even if you're bound and determined to make him sit out a year.

He's already sitting out a year, isn't he? It seems to me that he universities do not have to renew scholarships from year to year, so why does the LOI carry over for 2 years? It is excessively harsh.

Reaction Score
@Mengus22: Oh boy. RT @akulawolf: Wait, the mystery tamperer could actually be UConn? Oh my god that's perfect. http://post original url/tNl5b9YosF

Reaction Score
Capel needs to man up and realize the kid has a dream, is better than his schools level and let him go. This is ridiculous.....

If he said yes to Western Kentucky then I would understand them taking a stand, not App St!!

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Kid has a handle, ups, superb form on the jumper, great court vision and passing skills. Why would we not want him?

caw

Reaction Score
@Mengus22: Oh boy. RT @akulawolf: Wait, the mystery tamperer could actually be UConn? Oh my god that's perfect. http://post original url/tNl5b9YosF

Lol UConn didn't tamper with him though they might have been the first to ask about him when he went to Brewster. NCST fans trying to deflect when they went after the kid as soon as it was clear Purvis was leaving.

Reaction Score
He went to HS about a 5 minute walk from NCST campus. Same HS as pistol Pete.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom