2014 Men's Frozen Four | The Boneyard

2014 Men's Frozen Four

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Nice to see BC be taken out by Union. People should have known better after Union whooped BC last season in the Providence regional.

How about the GWG by Minnesota in the other game?? .6 seconds left, short-handed?!!?! (I was hoping for a North Dakota vs Union final.)

Reaction Score
Nice to see BC be taken out by Union. People should have known better after Union whooped BC last season in the Providence regional.

How about the GWG by Minnesota in the other game?? .6 seconds left, short-handed?!!?! (I was hoping for a North Dakota vs Union final.)

Man, to give you a sense how big hockey is in this state (Minnesota) - I could hear neighbors throughout the block celebrating after that goal & I'm 5 miles and a lot of taller buildings away from campus. I think we're on a mission - last year's Yale upset stung this squad. We gave them that game, and they took advantage - happy to see them win it all.

On the other hand, NY has a good omen going for them right now. Clarkson beat us for the lady's national championship. And damn if Union isn't another NY school. We could have pulled a UConn this year, hockey side of things. I'm happy for Clarkson - we won the past two NCs and have 4 at this point. Time for the East to win one or the sport won't grow enough.

Btw, Butch, never root for UND :mad:. That's our arch-rival, though not in the same conference anymore. They always come into Minnesota and grab blue chip talent, they also have more NCs than us, though we own them, head-to-head, and by a large margin ;)

Reaction Score
lol...sorry man, I have to cheer for UND against UMN! I know they are your arch-rival but we need to catch up to you! Union is going to be a game. I am sure you know that. ;)

The women's final was a great game.

I seriously want to go to Engelstad for a trip. And then maybe hit Anchorage.

Reaction Score
I missed the UND/UM game (pretty bummed I chose to watch the Rangers over this game now that I have seen the finish)....the ending to the Union/BC game was almost the same...Gaudreau came close to tying the game for BC as the clock expired (and blowing Barry Melrose's theory about there not being enough time to draw up a play that would score a goal out of the water). I am looking forward to watching Union/UM in the championship game.

Reaction Score
I'll always pull for the Whioux over the Goofers, that was a brutal way to lose a game last night. Still is a travesty that they're no longer in the same conference. I can't imagine what it would be like if BU and BC split up and didn't play.

And Butch, yes, go to a game at the Ralph. It's unreal.

Reaction Score
I'll always pull for the Whioux over the Goofers, that was a brutal way to lose a game last night. Still is a travesty that they're no longer in the same conference. I can't imagine what it would be like if BU and BC split up and didn't play.

And Butch, yes, go to a game at the Ralph. It's unreal.

Alright you two, I'm pimping you guys to the BIG, big time, and you want lay the UND loyalty in my face :mad:.

We may have the head-to-head wins, and even a NC at UND's expense (79 and Herb Brook's last collegiate season), but you got us on NCs, and by two.

It's a pride thing, more so based on nationality. UND often comes into Minnesota and plucks great players, Zach Parise immediately comes to mind, but man those Canadians also have a lot to do with their success. Don't they have CIV up their :p & the ever so awesome Junior leagues.

To be frank, UND played the better game yesterday, by slight margins.

And you are right, the WCHA was a the best college sports conference, any sport, until the BIG & NCHC split. WCHA history still can boast having more NCAA champions than any other conference, particular sport. But the mark won't last for long. I think BIG wrestling is getting really close to meeting the mark of 36 NCAA titles. The new WCHA is quite watered down. It also didn't help that Duluth, Denver, CC and UND left for the new NCHC, but I can't blame them.

I will always have tremendous respect for WCHA history, even when Michigan and Michigan State were members ;)

Thank God we play UND every year, even if only one regular season series.

Reaction Score
Alright you two, I'm pimping you guys to the BIG, big time, and you want lay the UND loyalty in my face :mad:.

We may have the head-to-head wins, and even a NC at UND's expense (79 and Herb Brook's last collegiate season), but you got us on NCs, and by two.

It's a pride thing, more so based on nationality. UND often comes into Minnesota and plucks great players, Zach Parise immediately comes to mind, but man those Canadians also have a lot to do with their success. Don't they have CIV up their :p & the ever so awesome Junior leagues.

To be frank, UND played the better game yesterday, by slight margins.

And you are right, the WCHA was a the best college sports conference, any sport, until the BIG & NCHC split. WCHA history still can boast having more NCAA champions than any other conference, particular sport. But the mark won't last for long. I think BIG wrestling is getting really close to meeting the mark of 36 NCAA titles. The new WCHA is quite watered down. It also didn't help that Duluth, Denver, CC and UND left for the new NCHC, but I can't blame them.

I will always have tremendous respect for WCHA history, even when Michigan and Michigan State were members ;)

Thank God we play UND every year, even if only one regular season series.
I'm a BU guy, no UND loyalty, just like them better than your guys if I have to choose. Maybe it's the [old] logo, or that maroon and gold teams don't exactly instill positive thoughts in me. Can't say I agree with the WCHA being the best league ever. :p

Reaction Score
I'm a BU guy, no UND loyalty, just like them better than your guys if I have to choose. Maybe it's the [old] logo, or that maroon and gold teams don't exactly instill positive thoughts in me. Can't say I agree with the WCHA being the best league ever. :p

Historical facts my friend, historical facts. But I do appreciate the Big East's surge the past 15 years - still Minny x2, Wisky x1, Duluth x1, Denver x2, all = WCHA teams to win it all in this time frame. Hockey East has a BC dominance tint to it, but I was happy to see BU win it all in their lone FF appearance., this time frame. Or do you have a FF I'm not aware of.

You guys beat us for it all back in the 70s. I know my history & now I get your dislike for all things Maroon and Gold :D. You are also the only blue blood to have a winning record against us - by one lousy game.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I have been a Minnesota Vikings fan all my life, so I know horror.

I cannot imagine being a North Dakota hockey fan, though - that was a gruesome ending.

Reaction Score
lol...you have no choice now. :D No UND loyalty here, either. Cheering on the "little guys" even though UND is not really a little guy. Still been a while since they won it all.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I have been a Minnesota Vikings fan all my life, so I know horror.

I cannot imagine being a North Dakota hockey fan, though - that was a gruesome ending.

duck _ _! Dearest Fishy, UND has 7NCs - the Queens have 4 SB losses and outside of the Giants, 2001, 3 of 4 NFC title games have been last minute defeats. You know what I'm talking about. Big difference.

You want a "gruesome" ending: my junior year of high school, 1989, Gophers against Harvard in the NCG in St. Paul, MN - I'm at the game. We go to OT, we hit the post & a few min later Harvard wins the NC right in front of a predominantly Minnesota crowd.

We may have 5 NCs, but we've lost "gruesome" games in the tourney - last year to Yale in OT, a game we dominated. I'll never forget losing to Michigan on a goal for the ages - Mi player did a lacrosse swoop with the puck, behind the net, and slapped it top shelf. Of course they went on to win the NC. We also own the distinction of being the first number one overall seed to lose in the first round to BLANK - you can finish here, I refuse to say.

Minnesota under Lucia has been so hit or miss. Yes he's won 2 NCs and this is now his 5th Frozen Four, but no other college program has produced as much NHL talent as Minnesota under Lucia. Yet, it's BC who has won 4 NCs during Lucia's tenure at Minnesota.

Reaction Score
Gfunk...I'm watching this game...I thought UM had started to put it out of reach with that goal Warning scored from the goal line...then the flood gates just opened...WTF? The first period play looks like it will be the only period of play in this game. Definitely one of the better periods of hockey goal scoring wise I have seen in a while.

Reaction Score
Absolutely tremendous first period of the national championship. Shane Gostisbehere is an absolute beast tonight. I saw Union at Yale and at Bridgeport. Tremendously talented team. It is unbelievable considering Union has 1 NHL draft pick and does not offer any athletic scholarships. Would be great to see a team with no scholarships win a national title.

Reaction Score
1st period stats: 70 shots attempted, 35 shots on goal, 6 goals scored.

Union went from 2-1 down to winning 4-2 in 1 minute 54 seconds.

Reaction Score
Absolutely tremendous first period of the national championship. Shane Gostisbehere is an absolute beast tonight. I saw Union at Yale and at Bridgeport. Tremendously talented team. It is unbelievable considering Union has 1 NHL draft pick and does not offer any athletic scholarships. Would be great to see a team with no scholarships win a national title.
Technically, Yale did it last year without scholarships, but it's known that Ivies "find" scholarships for recruits they want that aren't athletic.

Reaction Score
2nd period hasn't disappointed one bit...this is a very good game!

Reaction Score
Union kept their foot on the gas...had an answer every time UM tried to mount a comeback. The last goal scored was an unbelieveable play! I'm looking forward to watching UCONN's Holiday tournament next season...setting up to have 2 of the top teams in college hockey in it.

Reaction Score
89 shots on goal! Fantastic game. Gostisbehere was tremendous. A team with 0 scholarships and 1 NHL draft pick beat the two powerhouses of college hockey, Boston College and Minnesota with a combined 36 scholarships and 24 NHL draft picks, to win the title. Tremendous effort.

All three Frozen Four games were great.

Now begins UConn's climb up the Hockey East ladder.

Reaction Score
Well that sucked, but Union is absolutely a deserving champion. No excuses on my end. When we scored on the penalty, late game, to get to 4-5, I knew the risky surge was coming. Gostisbehere (best player on the ice) made an amazing stick stop on I believe Cammarata, who had nothing but daylight if not for the stop, and we were under two minutes. Boom, 3 seconds later Union counterattacked, that's all she wrote. We pushed too far. Then of course came the expected ENG.

A few thoughts:

Our teams is young, and to be honest with you, not as good as last year's team. But last year's team handed the game to Yale, esp in OT, I will never forgive that team. It just never ceases with Lucia coached teams these days - always periods of complacency in big games & this has been a pattern since his back-to-back NCs. That first period Union blitz was really the difference in the game - thank God they didn't exploit our stupid penalties. But being 1 down killed any momentum for us.

Our last two tourneys have ended at the hands of the eventual National Champs. I know Yale wasn't the better team. Union was definitely the better team.

Little NY colleges have our number this year. That's two runners up in our pride and joy sports teams. Clarkson beat our women's team for the NC.

We also blew it against Syracuse in our bowl game, and gift wrapped the wrestling NC to PSU.

Very, very happy for Union and Union fans - fantastic team, truly entertaining to watch - beat us at our very own game: speed, skill, and relentless attack. Their chemistry and veteran leadership was a huge edge as well.

I'm out.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Yale's goalie became super hot at the very right moment. Been an Achilles' heel but ended up with a stellar performance in last year's tournament. Didn't see that coming. I was talking crap about Yale's goalie with some Yalie freshman (Orzetti; several players were at the game) who scored a goal in the championship game at a QU ECAC quarterfinal against Cornell last year. Iles is insanely good.

Dual championship for the "EZAC". At the expense of Minnesota. You know the "Goofers" are going to be fine, long-term. Or one could hope. ;)

Missed the game. Took my girl out. Anyone know where it can be replayed?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak