2014 Composite Rankings for HS players | Page 3 | The Boneyard

2014 Composite Rankings for HS players

Status
Not open for further replies.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
UCLA, USC, CAL, Washington and Colorado all "could" finish ahead of Stanford. All of these teams have question marks, as do Stanford, but none of these teams are heavily reliant on one player, like Stanford is.
Whether they do we shall see.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
UCLA, USC, CAL, Washington and Colorado all "could" finish ahead of Stanford. All of these teams have question marks, as do Stanford, but none of these teams are heavily reliant on one player, like Stanford is.
Yes, if Chiney goes down Stanford becomes a very ordinary Top 25 team.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score

When you said 6th, I nearly swallowed my lunch!

Then I started to think and I can see where you are coming from. 6th, maybe not but the PAC12/16 (whatever its called) could be quite competitive this year. I dont think Cal was a fluke and they bring back a strong nucleus. UCLA made it to the championship game and nearly dethroned Stanford. Washington has a good recruiting class and they get the All American post player back. Cant think of her name but she was good in the McDonalds game 2 years ago. Colorado surprised quite a few people last year.

again,

cant wait for the season to start.

Reaction Score
Stanford was 17-1 last year.
Cal and UCLA lost a lot more to graduation than Stanford did.

Explain to me who these teams are that are going to beat the Cardinal.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Stanford was 17-1 last year.
Cal and UCLA lost a lot more to graduation than Stanford did.

Explain to me who these teams are that are going to beat the Cardinal.

I listed the teams. Teams that are highly reliant on one player, as Stanford is,(the new freshman faces are unknowns at this level) , are beatable. Orrange can be very good at times and average at other times.
Suppose Chiney gets two quick fouls in the first 6 minutes of the half and takes a seat for most of the half, whats the line up for Stanford that should be feared? Who steps up and plays a ton of minutes?
I think the other teams are more well rounded, the coaches will have seen how to frustrate Chiney(as Cal did during the regular season and UCLA was all over Chiney in the Pac12 championship game)remember Chiney going 1/9 shooting.

I did say I wouldn't be "shocked" if they finish 6th, I didn't say it would happen.

Reaction Score
Stanford will be OK as long as they have Tara in charge (which was just re-upped) and they offer scholarships..... how can a decent player turn down a Stanford schollie?

They are just going to have a bad year due to injury and retirement..... but they will be fine in the long run

Reaction Score
I listed the teams. Teams that are highly reliant on one player, as Stanford is,(the new freshman faces are unknowns at this level) , are beatable.

Are they any more reliant on Chiney this year than last year, when they went 17-1?

Cal lost its best player and another key starter.
UCLA lost 3 starters.

Stanford lost Tinkle and Kokenis, who they alraedy didnt have for 1/2 of last season.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I would have put the over/under on Cardfan's reply at 1 hour but she seems to have taken a summer holiday from the boneyard. Finishing 6th in the PAC-12 would mean finishing out of the top 25. I don't see it. I'm not impressed with the other teams except for Cal which I don't think will be as good as last year. I think Stanford will finish no lower than 2nd in the conference and more likely 1st.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Are they any more reliant on Chiney this year than last year, when they went 17-1?

UCLA lost 3 starters.

Stanford lost Tinkle and Kokenis, who they alraedy didnt have for 1/2 of last season.

Yes, I think they are.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score

UCLA lost 3 starters.

Stanford lost Tinkle and Kokenis, who they already didnt have for 1/2 of last season.

But they had Tinkle and Kokenis, were blown out by UConn at home, lost to Cal at home, and almost lost to UCLA. The UCLA team that almost beat Stanford was a team of walking wounded. Walker and Dixon had problems moving on the court. I thought Brewer injured her ankle during the Pac 12 tournament, and Lemberger wasnt near 100%. Ruef had to play 21mpg last season after never having played more than 10mpg. I dont know if she can give you more than that on her feet. Freshman bigs McCall and Johnson are question marks until proven. I think the most important new player to Stanford is Karlie Samuelson, Hi IQ, great outside shooter, and can take the ball to the hoop. She is way underrated. Her speed for the college game is the only question. If she and her sister Bonnie play a lot it could help with having to defend their outside shooting.
Cal did lose some valuable players but still has a strong core in Brandon, Boyd, Gray, Jemeriigbe, and two transfers who have NCAA experience. They are also bringing in a Euro outside shooter who is very good. UCLA has a quick team but their inside game will have to improve but I think it can. Washington has two very good players in Davis and Walton and have added some new faces that will make them stronger. Not sure on McGuffs departure and the team coaching. Last year UW basically played 6 players for 30+ mpg, they wont have to do that this year.
Finally USC is my sleeper team. They only lost one player, a wing, get high ranked Jordan Adams healthy(she played 8 games last year), they have solid players at every position and a new coach that has to improve their game. USC took Cal to OT last year, at CAL, and USC was only 11-20. Plus, there might be some news coming out of USC in the next few weeks regarding an addition to their team. I will leave it at that for now.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Thanks for that synopsis.

Makes sense and you know your conference better than I do.

Reaction Score
But they had Tinkle and Kokenis, were blown out by UConn at home, lost to Cal at home, and almost lost to UCLA.

Unless UConn joins the PAC (anything would be better than the AAC!), not sure how that's relevant here.

Yes, the UCLA game in the PAC tourney was close. But was that not without Kokenis?

Reaction Score
But they had Tinkle and Kokenis, were blown out by UConn at home, lost to Cal at home, and almost lost to UCLA. The UCLA team that almost beat Stanford was a team of walking wounded. Walker and Dixon had problems moving on the court. I thought Brewer injured her ankle during the Pac 12 tournament, and Lemberger wasnt near 100%. Ruef had to play 21mpg last season after never having played more than 10mpg. I dont know if she can give you more than that on her feet. Freshman bigs McCall and Johnson are question marks until proven. I think the most important new player to Stanford is Karlie Samuelson, Hi IQ, great outside shooter, and can take the ball to the hoop. She is way underrated. Her speed for the college game is the only question. If she and her sister Bonnie play a lot it could help with having to defend their outside shooting.
Cal did lose some valuable players but still has a strong core in Brandon, Boyd, Gray, Jemeriigbe, and two transfers who have NCAA experience. They are also bringing in a Euro outside shooter who is very good. UCLA has a quick team but their inside game will have to improve but I think it can. Washington has two very good players in Davis and Walton and have added some new faces that will make them stronger. Not sure on McGuffs departure and the team coaching. Last year UW basically played 6 players for 30+ mpg, they wont have to do that this year.
Finally USC is my sleeper team. They only lost one player, a wing, get high ranked Jordan Adams healthy(she played 8 games last year), they have solid players at every position and a new coach that has to improve their game. USC took Cal to OT last year, at CAL, and USC was only 11-20. Plus, there might be some news coming out of USC in the next few weeks regarding an addition to their team. I will leave it at that for now.

Thank you for your insights, by the way! The depth and breadth of knowledge across WCBB here is one reason the BY is such a great forum.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Same here, interesting and insightful discussion.

Reaction Score
Unless UConn joins the PAC (anything would be better than the AAC!), not sure how that's relevant here.

Yes, the UCLA game in the PAC tourney was close. But was that not without Kokenis?

Yes, they were without Kokenis for the Pac-12 tournament. I don't see how UCLA will be better this year barring an injury from Chiney. They still beat UCLA with Chiney playing bad (and without Kokenis). They lose Tinkle, but UCLA loses Brewer/Dixon/Walker. Now, in 2 years, that may be a different story.

USC will be interesting, they always have talent, hopefully Cooper (Cynthia) can maximize it. Michael Cooper was horrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom