2013 recruits staying with uconn: Samuel and facey | The Boneyard

2013 recruits staying with uconn: Samuel and facey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
How does Duffy not have Dom Amore's job already? Amore sucks, and I feel like Duffy is all over everything UConn BBall the past year plus
What makes you think that he wants Dom's job?

Reaction Score
How does Duffy not have Dom Amore's job already? Amore sucks, and I feel like Duffy is all over everything UConn BBall the past year plus
I agree. It's apparently a young man's game, and Duffy is absolutely killing it.

Reaction Score
Amore has made it clear from the beginning that he does not want this job. It actually amazes me that he's still there. He should have been fired or moved to another beat now (latter only if he has clout in some way). I'm a hiring manager myself and a performance such as his would have been corrected, one way or another, within 3 months max at my place of employ.

Other CT reporters from "lesser" papers have filled Anthony's void well... So we're fine... But the general CT resident has been sold short by the Courant.

Seriously, was he in Provence all summer? Least professional performance I've seen in a while in big time sports, especially with a program that is in such a difficult (and newsworthy) state

hungry husky

Currently Hungry
Reaction Score
These guys are showing the loyalty that our current roster shows. High character guys lead to good results.

Reaction Score
What did you expect these guys to do? Facey might have other options. Samuels not so much. His alternatives were lesser programs. these are barely top 100 guys, actually I've seen Samuels not rated. Facey is 98th on the ESPN Top 100, though I saw him 88th on some other rating system. Haven't seen Samuels ranked anywhere. I have no idea whether they are high character guys or not, but the fact that they stay with UConn has more to do with their other alternatives than it is a comment on their character I suspect. Beyond that, the guy who recruited them got the head coaching job. why wouldn't they stay?

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Beyond that, the guy who recruited them got the head coaching job. why wouldn't they stay?
I could be mistaken, but I believe that was the point.

Reaction Score
What did you expect these guys to do? Facey might have other options. Samuels not so much. His alternatives were lesser programs. these are barely top 100 guys, actually I've seen Samuels not rated. Facey is 98th on the ESPN Top 100, though I saw him 88th on some other rating system. Haven't seen Samuels ranked anywhere. I have no idea whether they are high character guys or not, but the fact that they stay with UConn has more to do with their other alternatives than it is a comment on their character I suspect. Beyond that, the guy who recruited them got the head coaching job. why wouldn't they stay?

It's great that you have a contrarian opinion on every single topic here. But don't talk about recruiting when it's pretty obvious that you don't know what you're talking about.

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/high..._picks_uconn_his_dream_dtDrVbHf19pbACgxw7vdgP

"Facey blew up in July, picking up a slew of high-major offers from programs like USC, UCLA, Louisville, Pittsburgh, Memphis, St. John's, Providence, and Rutgers."

And Terrence Samuel ultimately chose Uconn over URI, Tennessee and Pittsburgh. These guys easily could have opened their recruitments back up and had plenty of schools calling.

Reaction Score

Nothing worse than a negative and inaccurate post

caw

Reaction Score

Facey is #68 per Rivals, #13 C per Scout, #98 per ESPN. He had options.

Samuel was #112 per Rivals, NR per Scout, #31 PG per ESPN (#25 is ranked 95 overall). He probably had fewer high level options than Facey, but he also had options.

Reaction Score
Facey had offers from FL, LVille, Memphis, Pitt, SJU and about a dozen others.

Samuel had offers from: Cincy, Pitt, Dayton, TN, VCU, Nova...

Reaction Score
Nothing worse than a negative and inaccurate post
Which of course my post wasn't.
Facey's 98th on ESPN. Samuels is an NR recruit. These are ok gets, but let's not make them out to be Kentucky's class . In fact, I'd go so far as to say Facey in particular seems like the kind of a player that Calhoun might have made into a true force given enough time. Remains to be seen if Ollie can do the same. Not impressed with Samuels. He sounds to me like a backup in the traditon of Beverley. Not a bad thing to have. But not throwing a ticker tape parade because we landed him and he's staying either.

Reaction Score
Facey had offers from FL, LVille, Memphis, Pitt, SJU and about a dozen others.

Samuel had offers from: Cincy, Pitt, Dayton, TN, VCU, Nova...
don't think those are true. Interest maybe but I saw OFFERS for Samuels from URI, Iowa State and a couple of lesser schools and while Facey had Louisville and St Johns (frankly I consider that a lesser offer but that's just me I guess) and a couple of others, we and Louisville were clearly the top.

Reaction Score
don't think those are true. Interest maybe but I saw OFFERS for Samuels from URI, Iowa State and a couple of lesser schools and while Facey had Louisville and St Johns (frankly I consider that a lesser offer but that's just me I guess) and a couple of others, we and Louisville were clearly the top.

Why don't you think "those are true" Mr. Recruiting Expert? Please enlighten us. Because you checked out their "lists" on espn.com that get updated once every six months?

Reaction Score
You're an idiot if you base all of your recruiting info on ESPN without checking rivals. ESPN is the farthest thing from a basketball recruiting website.

caw

Reaction Score
You're an idiot if you base all of your recruiting info on ESPN without checking rivals. ESPN is the farthest thing from a basketball recruiting website.

They have gotten better.

Which of course my post wasn't.
Facey's 98th on ESPN. Samuels is an NR recruit. These are ok gets, but let's not make them out to be Kentucky's class . In fact, I'd go so far as to say Facey in particular seems like the kind of a player that Calhoun might have made into a true force given enough time. Remains to be seen if Ollie can do the same. Not impressed with Samuels. He sounds to me like a backup in the traditon of Beverley. Not a bad thing to have. But not throwing a ticker tape parade because we landed him and he's staying either.

I think you are underrating both players a lot. Besides Daniels was top 10-20 last year and Boatright was about 50-75. Rankings aren't perfect.

Samuels does seem to be more of a Beverly/Austrie type player, but that's not a bad thing at all. I personally think he has more potential than either of Bev/Austrie. He does need some work, but he is a solid recruit for any BCS school not named Kentucky/Duke/UNC. He was ranked higher and dropped a bit, but he has potential to move back up when the final rankings come out.

UConn has never had a "Kentucky" class.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I have no idea how good these kids are or what kind of potential they actually have. Regardless of whether they are Armstrong types or Beverly types, it's nice to read that a couple of kids not only verbaled to UCONN during a time of great instability and uncertainty, but have reaffirmed their desire to play at our school. Even if they are walk on types, I'd hope fans would react favorably to their comments and decisions regardless of what other options they may (or may not) have had....

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I have no idea how good these kids are or what kind of potential they actually have. Regardless of whether they are Armstrong types or Beverly types, it's nice to read that a couple of kids not only verbaled to UCONN during a time of great instability and uncertainty, but have reaffirmed their desire to play at our school. Even if they are walk on types, I'd hope fans would react favorably to their comments and decisions regardless of what other options they may (or may not) have had....

Two page thread and only this one post that really responds to the OP and isn't just Husky fans bitching at other Husky fans.

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
I long ago learned to ignore recruiting "rankings" as they are less accurate than weather forecasts. There's a better chance the guys who get paid to predict the weather have actually analyzed some data at some point.

Samuels looks very promising to me, I don't get the hate. In videos I've seen, I was pleasantly surprised at his level of athleticism compared to his ranking. He's very quick and strong for his size. He's also very unselfish and has a great motor. He gets criticism from gurus for not being a good perimeter shooter, but the games I've seen, he doesn't take that many, so your mileage may vary. In his interviews, he already sounds like a college graduate - articulate and thoughtful.

His game is remarkably similar to Kevin Ollie's at the same level. He's a good get.

YearoftheHusky

Name checks out.
Reaction Score

You mean the same Iowa State that knocked us out of the tournament?

babysheep

Rocky
Reaction Score
Louisville: guaranteed top 10 ranking, HoF coach still around, will be playing in the biggest basketball state in the country, no sign of program success fading
UConn: post season ban, probation, JC is gone and nobody really knows how KO will do, will probably be a weaker program for at least his college career.

You're right, why would he ever take an offer from a lesser program as Louisville?

babysheep

Rocky
Reaction Score
Louisville: guaranteed top 10 ranking, HoF coach still around, will be playing in the biggest basketball state in the country, no sign of program success fading
UConn: post season ban, JC is gone and nobody really knows how KO will do, will probably be a weaker program for at least his college career.

You're right, why would he ever take an offer from a lesser program as Louisville?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom