2013 recruiting tease | The Boneyard

2013 recruiting tease

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
John Altavilla@jaltavilla
Geno Auriemma says he expects to fill out his Class of 2013 soon with names no one expects

====================

Either there's some high-level players that have not publicly announced their interest in UConn, or there are a bunch of less-prominent players ready to commit.

I'd lean towards the latter.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
oh boy - let the speculation begin! names no one expects means it won't be Chong, McCall, Tucker or Harper. Too bad, but if Geno can't get those kids, then i guess he will need to look at the recruits he can actually get, and ones he actually wants...

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
Geno Auriemma says he expects to fill out his Class of 2013 soon with names no one expects

====================

Either there's some high-level players that have not publicly announced their interest in UConn, or there are a bunch of less-prominent players ready to commit.

I'd lean towards the latter.
Either way, it's good news. Because if Geno wants them, I want them.

Reaction Score
I'm not even close to worried/disappointed, and really, no one should be.

UConn doesn't need high-end talent until 2014. Would it would be nice if one of the four major 2013 recruits they're still after committed? Of course, but it's far from a necessity.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Kaela Davis? Would be worth it just to see the reaction on The Summitt.

Geno is obviously a terrific evaluator of talent, especially talent that fits into his system, but he certainly has made mistakes on the recruiting trail as well. Og course, I'll cheer for whomever comes aboard.

A couple possibilities:

• He wants a big class, so the 2013 class will be a hybrid of names we know about (and are highly recruited) and a couple lower-profile names.
  • He's just yanking our chains.

Reaction Score
I love it!! Geno is the master at getting into player's minds...as well as the fans

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
This earns my vote. Geno is fully aware of fans' obsession with recruits.
I think this may be the most likely interpretation. Unless he's had CD in Eastern Europe selling the program for the past 2 months.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
You see - all the other 2013 recruits were a little POed about the hoopla that went with the UNC haul of recruits a few weeks back so ...
Russell, Davis, Harper, and Greenwell started emailing among themselves trying to figure out a proper response - and this little plan started percolating, a few phone calls were made, and ... on May 31 (my birthday, by the way) they are all going to commit to Uconn.
Not only will they upstage that school down South, but they are thumbing their noses at Uconn's own stellar 2012 class!!!
(I think I need to stay off the whiskey late at night! :confused: )

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
The good news is there are kids coming. Better news is there are some big names.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
The good news is there are kids coming. Better news is there are some big names.
I read John's wording carefully.

"Players" suggests 2 or more.

Not sure about big names, but some surprises. Would McCall be a surprise? How about Harper? Chong? The Swedish Bikini Team? :D

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Maybe Geno meant names that weren't originally associated with UConn as compared to DeShields, Reymer and Sammuelson?

That certainly can be Chong, McCall and Harper.

My dream player would be Davis, on several fronts...!!!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Maybe Geno meant names that weren't originally associated with UConn as compared to DeShields, Reymer and Sammuelson?

That certainly can be Chong, McCall and Harper.

My dream player would be Davis, on several fronts...!!!
I think that is a totally valid interpretation--no DeShields, Reimer, Mavunga, or Samuelson. Instead, we have the "next wave" of Chong, McCall, and Harper. I'm not sure where Jannah Tucker fits. Kaela Davis? Kendall Cooper? Some foreigner? If it's an unexpected group, that will be interesting--and will show us how little we actually know about recruiting. As long as it is a good group, I'm happy.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I think that is a totally valid interpretation--no DeShields, Reimer, Mavunga, or Samuelson. Instead, we have the "next wave" of Chong, McCall, and Harper. I'm not sure where Jannah Tucker fits. Kaela Davis? Kendall Cooper? Some foreigner? If it's an unexpected group, that will be interesting--and will show us how little we actually know about recruiting. As long as it is a good group, I'm happy.

That is why I rarely post in recruiting threads.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score

====================

Or, perhaps, he is referring to a transfer student (or more than one) and/or international player(s).

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Or, perhaps, he is referring to a transfer student (or more than one) and/or international player(s).

I was wondering about transfers also. Please tell me that BG is not transferring so that she can play her senior year for Geno. She does seem to like him a lot.

Reaction Score
I was wondering about transfers also. Please tell me that BG is not transferring so that she can play her senior year for Geno. She does seem to like him a lot.

To bad she didn't like him that much four years ago. Can you imagin how many consecutive NC'S UCONN would have?

U

UCONNfan1

i doubt that would be the case since I believe technically, a HC (Geno) can not talk to another player who is currenltly playing for another program. the only time he can talk to them is once their announcement to transfer has been officially made.

i guess there's nothing preventing a player from calling Geno saying "i'd love to come play for you as i'm unhappy where i am", but i still think that's an unlikely scenario since Geno would want them to visit campus, meet the players, meet their family, etc., and that can't happen until they announce (and are released) from their scholarship.

then again maybe i'm wrong. and as for Griner, i assume you said that tongue-in-cheek. it appears she does like and respect Geno a lot, but it appears to me she loves Baylor, her coach, and teammates. But i'm intrigued about the prospect of a foreign player.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score

Nah, Griner has only 1 year left. She'll stay.

But word on the street is that Odyssey is looking for a rural campus in the North. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ranon

Top Bottom