2011 or 2014 | The Boneyard

2011 or 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

babysheep

Rocky
Reaction Score
It's almost a shame we had to beat Butler in 2011. This year, we were picked against in every single game, and had to beat the greatest recruiting class of all time, against coaching god Jon Calipari.

But seriously I think the path was a fairly tougher than it was in 2011. And of course it feels amazing for Bazz to come full circle through the ban, and this is just KO's first NCAA tournament. We've seen the flashes this tournament from AB and TS that make the future look very bright.

Reaction Score
This game was more rewarding, but the seasons were equal. Big east tourney was special too. We are so G D F N lucky to be UConn fans. Cloud 9.

Reaction Score
I was a senior in 2011 and that run is special. Never thought I would see anything like it again. But, this. This was something even Alzheimer's won't ever take away from me.

Reaction Score
Which is better or feels better, I can't put one over the other, this one is a big to the NCAA and the haters.
And a big to Kentucky, CBS announcers, the refs and Big Blue welfare nation.

Reaction Score
i though it was going to be a while before Kemba's performance was out done... glad i was wrong. this feels more satisfying than 11,even though 11 big east tourney was something special.. this one is special cause of all of the stuff that has happened since 11

Reaction Score
This year is definitely the bigger surprise. I didn't see 2011 coming either, but that team beat some excellent teams in Maui and in the BET. Plus, they had a HOF coach on the sideline.

This season, we had some good posters who weren't sure UConn was a tournament lock even late in the regular season.

The great thing is that 2011 was a last hurrah, last great run for JC. 2014 is just the beginning of what KO will accomplish.

Reaction Score
This game had a lot of the joy sucked out of it for me by the refs. Never in my life have I seen such a "fix is in" ref job. I hate them for it.

But the circumstances of this win and what it means to this program after CR and the ban..this one wins, hands down.

BUHusky

The original. Accept no substitutes.
Reaction Score
2014 because it came after the trifecta of the APR ban, conference realignment BS, and the retirement of a HOF coaching legend.

I never thought the 2011 story could be topped, but then 2014 happened. What a ride.

Reaction Score
I don't want to take anything away from this championship. It means so much to our program after everything we've been through, and I couldn't be happier for the guys on the team. Truly a special team.

But I'm going to be the one to say 2011. Remember how disappointing 2010 was? Coming back with some key pieces of a Final Four team, all a year older and some nice recruits coming in. That to me was UConn's most disappointing year since I've been a fan, and we lost three of our four best players from that team, and we missed on nearly all of the big recruiting targets we had. Coming into the season, I was worried it was going to be close to the 2007 season. But we had Kemba Walker who took an incredible leap; and that unheralded recruiting class came up huge. And there were problems with the program at this point too. Coming off a disappointing year with Calhoun getting up there in age, people becoming discontented over the seemingly lackluster recruits after the talent flock in 2006. The Nate Miles stuff had just come out the season before, and we were beginning to hear the rumblings of the APR business. There was a major dark cloud over the program and after 2010, it seemed as though UConn's best days were behind them. And then Maui. And the Big East Tournament. My god, the Big East Tournament. 5 games in 5 days? Unheard of. I would have been ecstatic as a fan if we had bowed out in the tourny after that. That BET run was legendary and made the season. But the team wasn't done, and they marched on to win the freaking National Championship?! I never thought it would even be possible to pass that moment as a sports fan.

The fact that this title ranks right up there with 2011 says a lot. The program was once again in a seemingly tenuous position and we proved doubters wrong all along the way. People say this run was more surprising than 2011; and I'll agree if the view was from the start of the NCAA Tournament. But before the season, I knew this 2014 team had talent and could make a run. I would've never imagined beating UK's super-hyped 'best ever recruiting class' and winning another championship... but we had established talent. Before the season, 2011 was basically an inconsistent but promising Kemba Walker going into his junior season, a McDonald's AA Oriakhi going into his sophomore year after a solid but unspectacular freshman campaign, and then a lot of freshmen. Freshmen who were not the first choices in our recruiting efforts (boy, how well did that work out?!). They were unranked and not expected to do much during the season.

In their own way, both of those championships came out of absolutely nowhere. And that's what made the runs so incredibly special. In 2011, I thought that run was a once-in-a-lifetime moment; and here we are three years later, celebrating the same thing. UConn is just a truly special program. We've had the best run of any program in the modern era. All we do is win. Having to choose a favorite between 2011 and 2014 should make us feel lucky as fans. How great is it to be a UConn fan?!

Reaction Score
2011 was an epic run - 5for5 in the Garden, then the NCAA run. That was the most fun.

This 2014 run was the most important - at a time when our program needed something like this in the worst way.

Reaction Score
Hands down 2014. We were under dogs from start to finish as a team and conference . It made the rest of the nation take notice of the men's program again. We were left for dead during CR and now people are comparing us with Duke and Kansas as all time programs. Can't wait to get my championship gear!!

Reaction Score
Since we have choices; 1999 breaking virginity is always special. I can remember where I was, how I felt and how I woke up the next morning. Hell, I even remember what I posted on the Boneyard after the game.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Let me add a twist here. Had this actual convo with my wife before we went to bed after Monday's game. What was better? The 2011 BE Tourny run or the 2014 NC run? Put aside the fact that one was for a National Championship and one for a BE Championship. This is where it gets tough for me. I think my love for Kemba is what makes me pull more towards 2011. Shabazz has definitely pulled closer to Kemba, but the way Kemba carried a team of mostly frosh was just unbelievable. Just curious what you all think about that one? 2011 BE Tourny or 2014 NC run?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom