2004 UConn vs. Gonzaga | The Boneyard

2004 UConn vs. Gonzaga

Reaction Score
This came up in the game thread. How do you see the teams matching up and who wins?

Reaction Score
This is probably the best point and maybe the only thing that matters. Bad match up for Timme and Zags struggle significantly if Timme doesn't play well.
Very true. Plus he was great at defending the pick and roll, too. That team was able to defend the 5 out teams as well (I.e Vandy in Sweet 16). Gordon could break anyone down off the dribble and they shot 40% from 3 To complement their inside out offense and their outside in offense.

I really like this Gonzaga team though and tonight is their moment.

Reaction Score
99 was our best team.
Hard to say, both UConn teams were great and had great seasons to be proud of. That 1999 team had really good talent (3 NBA players and high level college players), but the sum was greater than their individual parts as their skill sets complemented each other so well. Hamilton, Mouring, and El-Amin running off those bruising screens set by Voshkul, Freeman, and Wane wore down other teams guards and left them with less energy for their own offense. And boy could both those teams run their opponents out of the gym in fast paced track meet game (1999 BET final is a good example).

Reaction Score
Please, 2004 UConn no doubt. Ben Gordon, Emeka Okafor, Charlie Villanueva, Rashad Anderson, Taliek, Denham Brown, Boone, Armstrong... While I also agree 99’ was our best team, our 2004 team is way better than this Gonzaga team.

College basketball in general doesn’t have near the talent it did then. The first three guys above wouldn’t even have been in school anymore if that team were assembled today.

Reaction Score
Guys, we are UConn fans

Of course 2004 UConn wins.
just like 1999, 2011, 2014, and even 2006.
And 2009, which would beat the brakes off this Zags team. This isn’t even the best Zags team they’ve had, I don’t understand how people think that this team is considered the best all time.

Reaction Score
It would be a good game. I'm a UConn fan so I think UConn wins, but that team wasn't unbeatable. We can talk all we want about how that team wouldn't lose to another team, but they lost to a 19-13 Notre Dame that lost in the Quarters of the NIT.

The talent level is certainly lower in general, but this Zags team has multiple pros. Each team had an equal amount of Top 100 talent, too.

Reaction Score
The 2004 team went through a few rough patches but the talent level just isn’t the same now.

JakeTheDog

Makin’ bacon pancakes
Reaction Score
There was a play towards the end of regulation where Suggs drove and the UCLA big had a monster block. 2004 UConn would be doing that all game. Our frontline was brutal and would never let Gonzaga score close to 50 or even 40 points in the paint. As others have noted the game has changed so it’s to tough to compare. Zags has a lot of great offensive players who are active and they all seem like +passers. They would definitely get their share somehow. That being said: It’s the yard- UConn in a blowout.

Reaction Score
UConn in 2004 wins easily. If UConn in 2004 had Gonzags schedule of Pacific, UC Irvine, St Marys and whoever else they play UConn would also be undefeated.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
I asked Jim Calhoun in a charity thing once at Foxwoods who wins...99 vs 04.

He actually gave a real answer with some analysis behind it...

Bottom line he said in 1 game....99
In a 7 game series...04
Makes sense. 99 mentally tougher. 04 more overall talent.

Reaction Score
I know its a long time ago, but the Big East Champion 89-90 roster would compete as well. Smitty and Tate (6'5" PG) along with Nadav and Toraino along with the Microwave would have wrecked havoc. Hell Lyman and Scotty would have shut down duty. Cyrulik, Sellers and even Murray would bring some value to the court.

Their defense was the best ever at UConn. The team could also score a bunch, especially with Smitty. They averaged almost 80 points a game, and held opponents to 66.

I just wanted to remind the young'uns of this often overlooked juggernaut.

Reaction Score
The 2004 UConn team at its best probably beats Gonzaga 6 or 7 times out of 10, but I think it would be a fun matchup.

Okafor would make life miserable for Timme. He may still get his 20, but he’d probably be a lot less efficient than he normally is. I also think UConn’s length would give Gonzaga problems and hurt their ball movement quite a bit.

The closest thing the 2004 team had to a weakness - aside from losing focus at times - was its lack of backcourt depth. If the Gonzaga guards go off, then they’d have a chance to beat that UConn squad.

Reaction Score
The 2004 UConn team at its best probably beats Gonzaga 6 or 7 times out of 10, but I think it would be a fun matchup.

Okafor would make life miserable for Timme. He may still get his 20, but he’d probably be a lot less efficient than he normally is. I also think UConn’s length would give Gonzaga problems and hurt their ball movement quite a bit.

The closest thing the 2004 team had to a weakness - aside from losing focus at times - was its lack of backcourt depth. If the Gonzaga guards go off, then they’d have a chance to beat that UConn squad.
Timme would foul out for sure. No way he could defend Okafor and Boone without fouling and still have energy on the offensive end.

Reaction Score
The level of talent across college basketball was so much better 16 years ago that you have to assume UConn wins.
Gonzaga stands out now because of the weak state of the game.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom