20 wins with 10 days to go in February | Page 2 | The Boneyard

20 wins with 10 days to go in February

Reaction Score
There's a likely middle ground where we shoot closer to our average. We won the one game by 15, lost the other by 6. 21 point differential, 18 explained by the 3's. We make 8 at our average, we win a single possession close one, especially at MSG.
As a fan base in a year we’ve literally gone from complaining we can’t make a 3 to we make too many. Can’t make it up.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Marquette turned us over 16 times in the first game and 17 in the second.

In the game we won, we made 12-23 threes. In the game we lost, we made 6-22.

If we play them again, and they turn us over 16-17 as per usual, how confident are you that we’re gonna overcome it by shooting 55% from three?

We probably won't shoot that well again, true but we lead pretty much the whole game by 20. If we only shot 30% from 3 I'm confident we still would've won.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
We probably won't shoot that well again, true but we lead pretty much the whole game by 20. If we only shot 30% from 3 I'm confident we still would've won.

Maybe.

But missed threes tend to turn into transition opportunities for the defense.

In the first game, we made three of our first four threes and went up by 11. We missed 15 of the next 18 and were outscore by 17 or 18 the rest of the way.

Long story made short - turnovers are very expensive and are very hard to overcome without something extraordinary like shooting 55+ from three.

In our losses, our turnover rate is over 20%. Between one in four and one in five of our possessions end in us giving the ball away. I think that is a problem. Some of these other folks are mad at me for it.

Reaction Score
Cannot argue that turnovers are a problem for this team. And they seem to come in a variety of ways: the ill advised pass, the moving screen, loose handles.

I always thought under 10 turn overs meant team played well, 15 or more was usually a loss.

Today we had 18 turnovers but overcame it by crushing them on the boards. So it’s hard to say turnovers will always determine the outcome.

To me, the most important number on the stat sheet is field goal attempts. Today, SH had 53 FGAs to UConns 52. Basically a wash.

UConn won today because they made two more threes, five more free throws and had 5 more blocks. None bigger than sanogos at the end of the game! Games are usually decided by a handful of plays. Today we made enough to win.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Depends on your expectations. I think we should have at least 3 more wins.

If your expectations were a NCAA bid, you are probably really happy.

If you think we have 2 NBA players and watched us abuse several Top 10 teams you are probably disappointed we are on the bubble for a Top 4 seed and in a fight for 5th place in the BE.
Excellent demonstration of foot-speed defense, but with what possible positive purpose in mind? Or isn't cheering hard in favor of this team even on the menu?

3 additional wins doesn't sound wrong, but your opposing, "If..." scenarios are stacked in favor of bad energy building around the team you favor.

Every single game is a must win, for either favorable seeding and a tournament championship. The time to stop scoring points against this team has past, unless you're clearly claiming, "I'm out" for 2022-23.

If that's the case for you (or anyone else), then my not just say so?

Last edited:

caw

Reaction Score
Marquette turned us over 16 times in the first game and 17 in the second.

In the game we won, we made 12-23 threes. In the game we lost, we made 6-22.

If we play them again, and they turn us over 16-17 as per usual, how confident are you that we’re gonna overcome it by shooting 55% from three?

Not saying it’s not a problem but doesn’t Marquette average about 16 forced TOs a game for the season? I recall them being in the top ten in the country for that at one point. Point being they are more the exception than the rule in the country in being able to force TOs.

UConn on the other hand has a lot of unforced TOs. I think UConn had three on dump off passes today at least.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
In our losses, our turnover rate is over 20%. Between one in four and one in five of our possessions end in us giving the ball away. I think that is a problem. Some of these other folks are mad at me for it.

I get your concern, but taking stats from losses is a little too cherry-picky for me. You don't say we played badly in our losses?

At times it's been an issue, but the way I look at it every team in the top 15 of the sport has flaws. 16 turnovers against a good pressure defense isn't ideal but it isn't awful.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
If you are an opposing coach with a pinch of talent and a half a brain and you look down the court and see DH in March, you are NOT nervous. That’s what I have learned.
Now look what you’re doing. You just sent Hurleyman into a tantrum.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom