#20 UConn vs. #10 UMass (Friday 2/18/22 @ 7:05p @ XL Center on CollegeSportsLive & Saturday 2/19/22 @ 7:30p @ Mullins Center on NESN+). | Page 2 | The Boneyard

#20 UConn vs. #10 UMass (Friday 2/18/22 @ 7:05p @ XL Center on CollegeSportsLive & Saturday 2/19/22 @ 7:30p @ Mullins Center on NESN+).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
Just got home… very disappointed, but have a feeling we will beat them tomorrow. Sometimes these home and homes just work out that way.

Reaction Score
Just lacked the discipline necessary to beat a solid, well coached team tonight. Best about home and home though is that you can put it behind you quickly!

Reaction Score
Attendance 4,358. Disgraceful for the biggest game of the year.

Reaction Score
A few things..
UMass is a better team ok. I’ll be honest about that. They are the one team on any given night I’m not sure we can beat in this conference. All respect to that team.
That being said why are we Getting effed on our home ice by the refs. In 40 years of watching hockey there is a simple rule most hockey officials go by. They try to even out the calls during the course of the game and if they can add a PP to the home team they will. This is ingrained in hockey officials for as long as I’ve been watching.
A minute or two before the 3rd UMass PP that ultimately did us in (we had none at that point from what I remember) there was a chance to call a holding on UMass against one of our players in their end. Tbey decided to swallow the whistle. They made the decision they didn’t want to impact the game. And then a minute later they nailed us for a high stick.
Here’s the deal. Just be consistent and stop deciding the exact moments you decide to play God in the third period of a scoreless game.
Also the call on us when UMass failed on a breakway was a complete embarrassment. The player went in unencumbered and didnt score and they blew the whistle on us. Again WTF are the refs doing.
Alright getting off the refs for a second, our best play was the first period despite being outshot. Had some good possessions in their zone and hit the post twice. Against a team like UMass that game of inches is massive. You need to get a few breaks to beat them.
Anyway I’m exhausted. Tough third period. If we play like that in the northeastern and Vermont games we will be fine. Just have to get thru another tough one tomorrow

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
A few things..
UMass is a better team ok. I’ll be honest about that. They are the one team on any given night I’m not sure we can beat in this conference. All respect to that team.
That being said why are we Getting effed on our home ice by the refs. In 40 years of watching hockey there is a simple rule most hockey officials go by. They try to even out the calls during the course of the game and if they can add a PP to the home team they will. This is ingrained in hockey officials for as long as I’ve been watching.
A minute or two before the 3rd UMass PP that ultimately did us in (we had none at that point from what I remember) there was a chance to call a holding on UMass against one of our players in their end. Tbey decided to swallow the whistle. They made the decision they didn’t want to impact the game. And then a minute later they nailed us for a high stick.
Here’s the deal. Just be consistent and stop deciding the exact moments you decide to play God in the third period of a scoreless game.
Also the call on us when UMass failed on a breakway was a complete embarrassment. The player went in unencumbered and didnt score and they blew the whistle on us. Again are the refs doing.
Alright getting off the refs for a second, our best play was the first period despite being outshot. Had some good possessions in their zone and hit the post twice. Against a team like UMass that game of inches is massive. You need to get a few breaks to beat them.
Anyway I’m exhausted. Tough third period. If we play like that in the northeastern and Vermont games we will be fine. Just have to get thru another tough one tomorrow
Well said, Vet.

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
Attendance 4,358. Disgraceful for the biggest game of the year.
The administration has to do a better job letting people know what’s going on. Also, the team has to be consistently better in order to draw fans. But press helps. We got 8200 to a meaningless game a couple of years ago. It was mission 9K. They came close. They didn’t push this game nearly enough. Do better UCONN.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
The administration has to do a better job letting people know what’s going on. Also, the team has to be consistently better in order to draw fans. But press helps. We got 8200 to a meaningless game a couple of years ago. It was mission 9K. They came close. They didn’t push this game nearly enough. Do better UCONN.

They get tunnel visioned by having MBB and WBB being so good. They forget about hockey. And when you forget about it and the number is lower, it makes it easier to figure out how you take a fanbase of 5k and put it in a rink that sits 2500.

Reaction Score
Benneditto (sp?)was horrible
Little bene was crap
Murphy sucked
Who was the 4th?
Giving Benedetto the benefit of the doubt - he needs to be in touch with Fidelco.... But, honestly he just sucks and probably is an a-round opening too...

Reaction Score
They get tunnel visioned by having MBB and WBB being so good. They forget about hockey. And when you forget about it and the number is lower, it makes it easier to figure out how you take a fanbase of 5k and put it in a rink that sits 2500.
I definitely agree about the tunnel vision thing.
Back when we were getting 8k, I believe they were giving out free tix to hoops or football fans as well to see the hockey team which likely also had impact. Plus keep in mind some fans are clearly not vaxxed and are not showing up until the vax rule is lifted (speaking of which i wonder if it will be lifted by the Vermont series or is it here to stay?
By the way I love Jim Mora showing up for game. He’s all into UConn stuff and it’s such a great thing to see.
Another question. The dollar hot dog two dollar beer thing that is just for Wolfpack games. Why not for UConn games as well? Who makes that call the XL? I assume UConn doesn’t get revenue from concessions but maybe I’m wrong. That can help improving attendance clearly.
And work on getting more youth hockey tied in and involved in going to these games.

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
Also, we would be remiss in not recognizing Hanson - one of his best games. If he doesn't stand on his head a lot of other observations made here are moot...
Truth!

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
I definitely agree about the tunnel vision thing.
Back when we were getting 8k, I believe they were giving out free tix to hoops or football fans as well to see the hockey team which likely also had impact. Plus keep in mind some fans are clearly not vaxxed and are not showing up until the vax rule is lifted (speaking of which i wonder if it will be lifted by the Vermont series or is it here to stay?
By the way I love Jim Mora showing up for game. He’s all into UConn stuff and it’s such a great thing to see.
Another question. The dollar hot dog two dollar beer thing that is just for Wolfpack games. Why not for UConn games as well? Who makes that call the XL? I assume UConn doesn’t get revenue from concessions but maybe I’m wrong. That can help improving attendance clearly.
And work on getting more youth hockey tied in and involved in going to these games.

The fact that the WP and UConn have drastically different prices for concessions on Fridays when the SAME GROUP gets the revenue from the sales in both cases has never ceased to amaze me. Its so stupid.

Reaction Score
A few things..
Also the call on us when UMass failed on a breakway was a complete embarrassment. The player went in unencumbered and didnt score and they blew the whistle on us. Again are the refs doing.
How can You leave out the huge amount of lost faceoffs. There had to be at least 4 clean draws back to their point men that led to some really good scoring chances for Umass. Inexcusable to lose that many draws.

Reaction Score
How can You leave out the huge amount of lost faceoffs. There had to be at least 4 clean draws back to their point men that led to some really good scoring chances for Umass. Inexcusable to lose that many draws.
Good point. I was actually saying that during the game. And yet when I looked at the final stats faceoffs were almost even? How can that be. Especially in the third period this past game and the providence game we must have lost At least 75% of faceoffs

Reaction Score
UConn does not want to get into a shoot out with UMass. uConn will need to slows this game down into a grind if they want to have a. Chance to win.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom