#20 UConn vs. #10 UMass (Friday 2/18/22 @ 7:05p @ XL Center on CollegeSportsLive & Saturday 2/19/22 @ 7:30p @ Mullins Center on NESN+). | Page 5 | The Boneyard

#20 UConn vs. #10 UMass (Friday 2/18/22 @ 7:05p @ XL Center on CollegeSportsLive & Saturday 2/19/22 @ 7:30p @ Mullins Center on NESN+).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
What can you say. A split was the best outcome IMO against probably the best team in the league and to do it on the road after a tough loss yesterday AND to do it where you took care of business in the 3rd period was huge.
Having Vermont at home twice to close the year is a nice safety blanket. To me if you split vs Northeastern next weekend you are in great shape to finish top 4. Hell, get four points next weekend and first place may even be in play as hard as it is to believe.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
They only played one good period all weekend, but it was a big one. Great to see Tverberg being aggressive again, hopefully he keeps driving to the net. Good things will happen.

Reaction Score
Being 15th for pairwise purposes puts us in the realm where Bracketology matters.

A straight bracketing (1v16, 2v15, etc) has us in the Allentown regional with Minnesota State as our first rounder and St Cloud-Quinnipiac the other pairing. We will be in the fourth seed “band” with BU, Ohio State and the AH winner.

Attendance focused matching might not change anything for us, based on what I can see (probably the only swap they’d make is BU to Worcester and Ohio State to Loveland). With only five “Eastern” teams projected to make the field at current, there isn’t really much they can do to tweak attendance.

For those not in the know, there’s very little “smoke-filled room” behavior in the hockey bracketology, and virtually none in setting who goes to the tournament. Barring conference tournament upsets, anyone 15 or above in the Pairwise rankings makes the field.

The only settings the committee can monkey with are who gets sent to what regional. You can nominally get a “higher” seed via swapping within your seed band but can’t swap what band you end up in.

Reaction Score
^^^^ vs copy and paste staff report from the courant

Reaction Score
Good news:
March 12th for HE home Playoff day is free of Wolfpack, Disney, Monster Trucks, Frozen, WWE, etc
Bad news:
Possible Big East Basketball Championship Game @ 6:30pm

Hockey for me ALL the way, but will cut down on casuals if they make it

Last edited:

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Good news:
March 12th for HE home Playoff day is free of Wolfpack, Disney, Monster Trucks, Frozen, WWE, etc
Bad news:
Big East Basketball Weekend

Hockey for me ALL the way, but will cut down on casuals.

This is what it is with the way the schedule is gonna shake out every year. The NCAA tournament weekend overlaps with the basketball second weekend, so while I hope there's a crossover :) its less likely.

Reaction Score
Good news:
Bad news:
Possible Big East Basketball Championship Game @ 6:30pm

Hockey for me ALL the way, but will cut down on casuals if they make it
Same for me. Hockey #1. Maybe the hockey could be at 3 and we can still watch bball.

Reaction Score
Same for me. Hockey #1. Maybe the hockey could be at 3 and we can still watch bball.
We got 2x SAT 3:05 games coming up.

Maybe having it @ 3:05 again will help with muscle memory and help
plan and maintain the
game then dinner
or
lunch then game plans

Reaction Score
We got 2x SAT 3:05 games coming up.

Maybe having it @ 3:05 again will help with muscle memory and help
plan and maintain the
game then dinner
or
lunch then game plans
Love the 3:05 games on the weekend. Always at Vaughn's for tailgating pre game.

Reaction Score
What's the over/under going to be on student attendance? Low, lower or pitiful?

Reaction Score
Don't assume the hoops team will be playing Saturday night. Whoever they play Friday night - if they get to Friday night - will make things difficult.

Reaction Score
For those not in the know, there’s very little “smoke-filled room” behavior in the hockey bracketology, and virtually none in setting who goes to the tournament. Barring conference tournament upsets, anyone 15 or above in the Pairwise rankings makes the field.

The only settings the committee can monkey with are who gets sent to what regional. You can nominally get a “higher” seed via swapping within your seed band but can’t swap what band you end up in.
I'd go a step further - there's absolutely zero determination from the committee of who gets in. Everyone will know the 16 teams once the conference tournaments are over.

Unfortunately, while the at-large cut line is technically 15, it's more likely than not going to be 13 or 14. Most years someone from the non-AHA conferences makes a run and steals an autobid.

Teams 1-13 are pretty mathematically set. The last 1 or 2 at-large spots are up for grabs between BU, UConn, Clarkson, Lowell, NU.

Reaction Score
I'd go a step further - there's absolutely zero determination from the committee of who gets in. Everyone will know the 16 teams once the conference tournaments are over.

Unfortunately, while the at-large cut line is technically 15, it's more likely than not going to be 13 or 14. Most years someone from the non-AHA conferences makes a run and steals an autobid.

Teams 1-13 are pretty mathematically set. The last 1 or 2 at-large spots are up for grabs between BU, UConn, Clarkson, Lowell, NU.
Check out this website for probability analysis: playoffstatus.com/hockeyeast/connecticutwhatif.html.

Reaction Score

I simply hesitate to say “zero” because there do exist opaque and unknown elements to the formula that COULD create different selections from the “expected” pairwise as reverse engineered by public rankings.

But that’s on a minuscule scale.

Reaction Score
Attendance 4,358. Disgraceful for the biggest game of the year.
Actually, that’s not a bad crowd for college hockey. The crowd at Amherst was about 1,500 more than Hartford. That’s why I can’t wait until UConn moves on campus. The new rink will be packed with mostly students and loud.

Reaction Score
Actually, that’s not a bad crowd for college hockey. The crowd at Amherst was about 1,500 more than Hartford. That’s why I can’t wait until UConn moves on campus. The new rink will be packed with mostly students and loud.
The crowd last night at Amherst was just over 4,900. The best we can do in the new "mini-rink" at Storrs will be 2,700 (maybe 3,000 SRO). It will be loud, but way undersized. I spent time at an Amherst pub before the game talking with a guy from Suffield who is a union carpenter working on our new arena. His take...............it's going to be beautiful, but..............instead of making it "gorgeous", for the cost it could have been "nice with 1,000 more seats".

Amen.

Reaction Score
The crowd last night at Amherst was just over 4,900. The best we can do in the new "mini-rink" at Storrs will be 2,700 (maybe 3,000 SRO). It will be loud, but way undersized. I spent time at an Amherst pub before the game talking with a guy from Suffield who is a union carpenter working on our new arena. His take...............it's going to be beautiful, but..............instead of making it "gorgeous", for the cost it could have been "nice with 1,000 more seats".

Amen.
The marquee games that will require more than 3,000 seats. benches or standing room will be held in Hartford so in the grand scheme of things it won't matter. Unfortunately the politicians believe it is UConn's duty to keep Hartford and the XL center afloat and restricted the size of the on campus facility.

Reaction Score
So is the new arena going to hold mainly students and season tix holders with a small number of tix available for the general public? Is this possible to expand at all?

Reaction Score
So is the new arena going to hold mainly students and season tix holders with a small number of tix available for the general public? Is this possible to expand at all?
Let's see how many tickets get reserved for our taxpayer-funded pols; Lamont, Murphy, "Da Nang Dickie" (Blumenthal for those who didn't serve "in" Vietnam), Larson, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom