Men - #20 UConn v. Bryant University Bulldogs (Tuesday 4/11/23 @Elliot Ballpark @ 3:05p). UConn+ plus audio on Mixlr/ESPN97.9FM & ESPN1300AM | The Boneyard

Men #20 UConn v. Bryant University Bulldogs (Tuesday 4/11/23 @Elliot Ballpark @ 3:05p). UConn+ plus audio on Mixlr/ESPN97.9FM & ESPN1300AM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Guessing that Garrett Coe will get the start tomorrow against Bryant. Likely to be something of a staff day tomorrow, with Ellisen and Mike Quigley also likely to get some mound time among others. We'll see what happens.

Reaction Score
Guessing that Garrett Coe will get the start tomorrow against Bryant. Likely to be something of a staff day tomorrow, with Ellisen and Mike Quigley also likely to get some mound time among others. We'll see what happens.
Agreed on the pitching those are very reasonable assumptions. One additional observation from yesterday's game:
  • It occurred to me while watching yesterday's game that Daniels has really cut the swag and flash out of his game compared to when I saw him at St. Paul and in the fall at Scout Day and URI. My opinion is that he played that way since he really has a passion for the game so it wasn't a negative. But perhaps he realized Uconn/Penders is more of a lunch pale team where you come to the ballpark and do your job as opposed to say, Tennessee which almost encourages the swag. Again just an observation it's not meant to be positive or negative. Once he gets fully comfortable with D1 pitching I think you'll see an uptick in output. Very impressed with him being a raw rookie (freshman) out there. They haven't missed a beat defensively at 2B. Had a nice two-out RBI yesterday.
  • Smitty (who is not really hitting) is still 22nd in the country in runs scored and 16th in stolen bases. So upside if he gets hot. Huber is 6th in the country in doubles.

Reaction Score
Agreed on the pitching those are very reasonable assumptions. One additional observation from yesterday's game:
  • It occurred to me while watching yesterday's game that Daniels has really cut the swag and flash out of his game compared to when I saw him at St. Paul and in the fall at Scout Day and URI. My opinion is that he played that way since he really has a passion for the game so it wasn't a negative. But perhaps he realized Uconn/Penders is more of a lunch pale team where you come to the ballpark and do your job as opposed to say, Tennessee which almost encourages the swag. Again just an observation it's not meant to be positive or negative. Once he gets fully comfortable with D1 pitching I think you'll see an uptick in output. Very impressed with him being a raw rookie (freshman) out there. They haven't missed a beat defensively at 2B. Had a nice two-out RBI yesterday.
  • Smitty (who is not really hitting) is still 22nd in the country in runs scored and 16th in stolen bases. So upside if he gets hot. Huber is 6th in the country in doubles.

To me the most important offensive skill in baseball is getting on base. It's a bit hard to score runs if a team is not getting batters on base. David Smith isn't hitting for a high average so far this season (he has been in the .250 neighborhood in batting average for a while now), but for most of the season, even when he was slumping, he has had a very good on base percentage. His on base percentage is currently .386, which certainly helps account for his runs scored and stolen base totals. As for his runs scored totals, certainly helps to be hitting in front of Freeberger, Huber, Studley, and Broadhurst. Normally .386 would put you near the team leaders, but this season he is well behind other regular players such as Freeberger, Studley, Broadhurst, and Huber.

Reaction Score

Amazing, I was right about Coe starting this game. Still, I'm sure the coaching staff wants to get Coe going as they have seen what he has done in the past, and they want to get him going. Midweek pitching assignments are made for this sort of thing.

Also Ryan Hyde gets a midweek start at catcher.

Reaction Score
Coe was sitting in the dugout the whole game yesterday, so I kind of assumed he was being held back for today. It also looked like Garbo took a bad foul tip in a sensitive area late in yesterday's game so a well deserved rest day for him today.

Reaction Score
Coe was sitting in the dugout the whole game yesterday, so I kind of assumed he was being held back for today. It also looked like Garbo took a bad foul tip in a sensitive area late in yesterday's game so a well deserved rest day for him today.

Garbowski did stay in at catcher after that bad foul tip in the sensitive area, I do remember that. We'll see if he comes in later in the game. However, I do suspect that when UConn has 2 midweek games that Hyde will catch one of them, it seems to be how UConn baseball is operating this season.

Reaction Score
Chris Jones says that Ian Cooke will miss his start this weekend due to injury, he will be back the following weekend.

Reaction Score
Top 2nd, Coe with another 1-2-3 inning with 2 strikeouts, 3 on the game. 1-0 UConn. Coe has thrown 17 pitches, pretty efficient so far.

Reaction Score
Bottom 2nd, UConn offense with a scoreless inning after a 2 out walk for Hyde, 1-0 UConn.

Reaction Score
Top 3rd, a leadoff walk and a 2 out double brings in a run for Bryant. Game tied at 1 going to the bottom of the inning.

Reaction Score
Bottom 3rd, Huber with a 1 out RBI ground out, which brings in Smith who had reached base on a leadoff single. 2-1 UConn.

Reaction Score
Top 4th, Coe gives up 2 walks after getting the first out of the inning. Coe comes out of the game, Ellisen comes in to pitch. Ellisen gives up a single to load the bases, and then gives up a walk to tie the game at 2 with 1 out. A double play then ends the inning with the game tied at 2.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Bottom 4th, with no outs UConn offense puts 2 runners on base with a walk and hit by pitch. After a sac bunt, Hyde with an RBI ground out, 3-2 UConn. After a Padilla walk, Smith reaches 2B base on an infield error which brings in a run, 4-2 UConn.

Reaction Score
Top 5th, Ellisen leaves 2 runners on base for a scoreless inning. 4-2 UConn.

Reaction Score
Bottom 5th, another successful 2 out rally for UConn. Broadhurst with a 2 out single, then a 2 out RBI Morton double, 5-2 UConn. Tammaro singles, and then both runners steal a base. Hyde drives in 2 runs with a single, 7-2 UConn. UConn starting to get some good offensive production from their catchers.

Top 6th, M. Quigley coming in to pitch.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member