Men - #20 UConn v. #14 Boston College @ Elliot Ballpark (Tuesday 3/28/23 @ 3:05p). Game on UConn+ & Mixlr/97.9 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Men #20 UConn v. #14 Boston College @ Elliot Ballpark (Tuesday 3/28/23 @ 3:05p). Game on UConn+ & Mixlr/97.9

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Top 4th, another 2 out rbi single, runners at the corners, 5-0 BC. S. Quigley coming out of the game, Tom Ellisen coming in to pitch.

Reaction Score
Ugly outing for Quigs. Three hit batters in 4 innings is little league. Offense gonna need to really attack bullpen to have a chance

Reaction Score
Top 4th, Ellisen walks the first batter he faces, loading the bases. A fly out finally ends the inning. 5-0 BC.

I thought Ellisen would start tomorrow, but with him coming into this game, looks like that won't be the case now.

Reaction Score
Bottom 4th, with 2 outs, UConn offense gets 2 runners on base. Padilla follows with an RBI single, 5-1 BC. Tammaro comes up with an RBI single putting runners on the corners, 5-2 BC. Garbowski walks to load the bases, but that is it for this 2 out rally.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Bottom 5th, UConn offense with a scoreless inning after a runner is eliminated on a double play. 5-2 BC.

Reaction Score
Bottom 6th, with 2 out UConn gets runners on the corners. Maddix Dalena pinch hits for Garbowski. Pitching change, bringing in a lefty to face Dalena, who strikes out to end the inning. 5-2 BC.

As you would expect, Ryan Hyde takes over at catcher.

Reaction Score
Top 8th, Ellisen leaves 2 runners on base. 5-2 BC.

UConn pitchers have hit 5 batters so far in the game today.

Reaction Score
Bottom 8th, with 1 out, singles by Studley and Broadhurst put runners on the corners. Padilla with a 1 out rbi single, 5-3 BC. Tammaro with a 1 out walk to load the bases. A double play hit off the pitcher ends the inning. 5-3 BC.

Jude Abbadessa comes in to start the top of the 9th on the mound for UConn.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Bottom 8th, with 1 out, singles by Studley and Broadhurst put runners on the corners. Padilla with a 1 out rbi single, 5-3 BC. Tammaro with a 1 out walk to load the bases. A double play hit off the pitcher ends the inning. 5-3 BC.

Reaction Score
Ellisen made case for being a weekend starter. Great job. Tammaro has to be smarter running bases. Got to stop and make fielder make a decision.

Chris Jones was talking about Tammaro base running on this play, basically saying what you said, He also said it's possible Tammaro did not see the ball deflect off the pitcher to to the fielder who tagged him out.

Ellisen certainly will continue to see mound time, no question about that.

Reaction Score
Top 9th, Abbadessa gives up a run with 1 out to make it 6-3 BC. Fogell coming in to pitch for UConn with a runner at 1B.

Fogell gives up a 2 out single that puts runners on the corners, but gets out of the inning with no more runs coming in. Fogell picks up 2 strikeouts in this stint. 6-3 BC.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Bottom 9th, UConn offense goes down in order, BC gets the 6-3 win.

Reaction Score
HBP were uncharacteristic and killers. Bragging rights take a whack for now but L won’t kill the RPI like a loss the rest of the week would.

Reaction Score
Timely hitting- a couple strikeouts and double play in key situations prevented UConn from making this a lot more interesting.

Huge performance for Ellison. Was unbelievably solid.

Back tomorrow hoping that is a game where we beat them so bad we see the whole team in the game.

Reaction Score
BC Trip Report
  • Sparse crowd as expected on a cold day. Sun did peek out a couple of times. Ball wasn't traveling.
  • Props to HP Umpire who didn't squeeze and called strikes. Good job.
  • Sears, Quigley and Sullivan all appear to have good stuff but quality starts are lacking. Quiggy can't hit 3 guys. Today it also seemed like BC found holes and Uconn hit into shifts and didn't find holes. It happens sometimes.
  • As others mentioned Ellisen gave them a chance to win. Did a nice job.
  • I'll mention this as I thought about it before the AB so not MM QBing but I would have pinch hit for Hyde in the 8th. That was the chance to tie/win the game. I know he doesn't want to catch Freeberger and I get that but can't you put in McAllister to catch in the 9th? Right now they are getting nothing offensively from the catching spot (I know Hyde's limited #'s are ok but still) and I would have pinch-hit.
  • The other one was Dalena pinch-hitting for Garbo they got outfoxed there when BC brought in the lefty on lefty. What I'm getting at is they didn't optimize 2 key AB opportunities.
  • Daniels pinch-hitting for Morton was interesting. Despite the GS on Friday Korey doesn't look comfortable at the plate to the point of almost being lost. I mentioned back in the fall I thought Morton would have a monster year so this slow start is surprising. Still, a lot of time to turn it around. He can still play a massive role for them this year. Know he was forced into the role but I also think Morton is not a CF and is a much better LF. He doesn't have those natural instincts in CF. Last Friday a pop-up I believe Padilla? had to go back and catch and that was a CFs ball all the way. Maybe a lot on his plate who knows.
  • Honeyman didn't blow me away although I did like the play he made in RF cutting the ball off and hitting the cut-off forcing the runner back to first base. Surprised he's in RF as I think he's a LF at the next level due to average-ish arm based on a 1 game sample (haha).
-Overall just didn't do enough today in any phase to win. Still had a chance. A learning experience and they can definitely compete with the top teams if they get the starting pitching firmed up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom