2 scholarships open, anyone that we are looking at/or should be? | The Boneyard

2 scholarships open, anyone that we are looking at/or should be?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'm not a fan of banking scholarships, but obviously it's important to be mindful of team chemistry and not just add grad transfers or jucos for sake of adding.

I have not followed the grad transfer market much since we haven't had much interest and I don't watch much college basketball (other than every Husky game) since conference realignment sapped my interest for the most part.

1) Are there any players we should be looking at?
2) Are there any we are confirmed to be considering?

The Vital signing was so terrific because it added a secondary handler, which seemed like a necessity in case of injury to our two primary ballhandlers, and a combo guard who can score (obviously won't be primary or secondary option early in career). Killed two birds with one stone so to speak.

I still think we need a 4 that can bang and score a little bit in the post. I like Facey off the bench and think he's probably more comfortable in that role and I love Enoch but not sure he can play 4 alongside Brimah in a college game where many teams go small/quick. I feel Diarra is a project that can hopefully bring much needed energy and not sure how much we will get from Durham in year 1 but love his long term upside obviously.

Really don't see any other needs, the staff did such a great job with this class. But I think a grad transfer at the 4 starting or playing big minutes to come in and give some instant offense like Speights on Golden State would be a great thing.

Reaction Score
A grad transfer PF that can pass, shoot 15 footers, doesn't foul, isn't a liability on defense - basically the Tyler Olander role in 2011. I feel like we don't really have a player like that on the team. Durham could be that guy but he's coming off two acl tears, and I see Larrier/V Jackson more as wings.

Reaction Score
Still not too sure why we didn't at least reach out to LG Gill. Seemed like a nice fit. Martin twins from NC State are still available but I don't think we've been linked at all. I'm looking at Goodman's transfer list and there's not much on the market this year. Christian Jones is a grad transfer from St. Johns that averaged 8 and 5 last year. Looks like a bruiser, 6'7" and 235 but who knows, could be a reach. I haven't seen him play.

Damn, I wish we got Jackson haha.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Still not too sure why we didn't at least reach out to LG Gill. Seemed like a nice fit. Martin twins from NC State are still available but I don't think we've been linked at all. I'm looking at Goodman's transfer list and there's not much on the market this year. Christian Jones is a grad transfer from St. Johns that averaged 8 and 5 last year. Looks like a bruiser, 6'7" and 235 but who knows, could be a reach. I haven't seen him play.

Damn, I wish we got Jackson haha.

Martins are headed to Nevada.

KembaStepback

Rains Triples
Reaction Score
I think if you want guys who are going to be bangers...look for Enoch and Diarra. Not sure if either will be able to score. Hopefully they can. I think Durham is the guy who will get the most mins at the 4 if healthy. The kid lacks bulk, but he's more of a stretch 4 and has some nice post moves.

Reaction Score
I think if you want guys who are going to be bangers...look for Enoch and Diarra. Not sure if either will be able to score. Hopefully they can. I think Durham is the guy who will get the most mins at the 4 if healthy. The kid lacks bulk, but he's more of a stretch 4 and has some nice post moves.

Enoch showed some promise a few times last season with his soft touch around the rim. The question is whether or not he can defend enough in order to earn his playing time. And Diarra will be an instant beast. Guaranteed. Saw at least 10 Putnam games this season and the kid has a heart like we haven't seen in a while. Wouldn't be surprised one bit if he leads us in rebounding while coming off the bench.

Reaction Score
it would be nice to have a 4-man come in who can produce similar to Shonn Miller and get buckets down low but I think the necessity of it is a little exaggerated. I like the idea of starting a prototypical PF, (Diarra) but would almost prefer having more ball-handlers on the floor and a stretch-4 like Vance, a la Deandre Daniels, Giffey, or Olander

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
I dont like looking at guys just to fill scholarships. Traditionally they have been the transfers that sometimes end up being APR problems.. You think they fill a need, but they are at a talent level usually that never gets them on the court. They get recruited over and then when they see the playing time writing not on the wall transfer to a low D1 (hopefully in good standing). Unless a top 100 "fit" drops in our lap, I like eating them or spreading them to upper class good student walk-ons for a season.

Reaction Score
I'm wishing for something that is probably impossible to get but I would like a high quality center, one who rebounds, has post moves, and scores inside the foul line. Oh I forgot, shoots free throws well.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
We may have reach the river of no return. Anyone we bring in may not be any better than what we already have and we will just slow down the development of a player.

Reaction Score
Alec Peters.

Could start at the 4 and see minutes at the 5. He'd be a great grad transfer for us to add.

But, of course, he hasn't officially said he's transferring, only that he's withdrawn from the draft. If he does declare he's leaving, then literally every school in the country will be after him, and whoever lands a commitment will have won a major battle.

There's no one as good as Peters (potentially) left on the market. Even still, he's not a need and could potentially stunt growth of Enoch and Diarra. I do really like our current roster makeup, especially in the long term. But, if we want to fill the last scholly with someone who's not a reach, Peters could be a great option.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
Alec Peters.

Could start at the 4 and see minutes at the 5. He'd be a great grad transfer for us to add.

But, of course, he hasn't officially said he's transferring, only that he's withdrawn from the draft. If he does declare he's leaving, then literally every school in the country will be after him, and whoever lands a commitment will have won a major battle.

There's no one as good as Peters (potentially) left on the market. Even still, he's not a need and could potentially stunt growth of Enoch and Diarra. I do really like our current roster makeup, especially in the long term. But, if we want to fill the last scholly with someone who's not a reach, Peters could be a great option.
If we could get a shot at him, we have to take it. He could increase the "ceiling" of this team by a lot (just based on his stats). Nothing here but it's nice to think about the "missing piece" appear out of nowhere.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
Peters would be awesome. However, he has not declared that he wants to transfer and may not have graduated yet.
None of the bigs on the grad transfer list even reach the Olander level of talent. There are two players on the transfer list who are 6'10" & were 4 star players in high school but did not impress so far in college. There is a 6'2" guard who left UNLV who looks pretty good but he would also have to sit a year. Perhaps there is an International player who is a late bloomer?

Reaction Score
Peters would be a tremendous get, best ever but it seems doubtful at best. And as Nick said may be best to allow these kids to grow this year and see what happens rather than stunt their potential.

No need to panic, but they will be very young and I expect inconsistency especially early.

Reaction Score
For people unfamiliar with Peters, he's 6'9, holds the Horizon league career 3-point shooting % record, and put up 18 points on 12 shots a game last year. Decent rebounding numbers too (8 pg). He'd be unbelievably deadly in a pick and roll with Jalen.

Reaction Score
Alec Peters.

Peters would be the best grad transfer off the offseason in the whole nation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom