2 games + exhibition | The Boneyard

2 games + exhibition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
We have had the same massive lulls in shooting and we still win. I think it was more a phenomena of the guys playing together against others for the first couple of times--I don't see it as a standing trend. Were playing pretty good D rebounding--I think the shooting will be much more consistent as games go by.

Reaction Score
The simple answer is Bazz, Giffey, DD, Kromah and even Olander collectively was a big loss. Bazz was a first team AA and our leader. I look at this team and see 'strangers' out there, hell even Facey looks new. We even have new Captains. It may take weeks to learn to play together and get to know each others tendencies.

Nothing unusual here and no need to over analyze, we're just in transition for a while.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The simple answer is Bazz, Giffey, DD, Kromah and even Olander collectively was a big loss. Bazz was a first team AA and our leader. I look at this team and see 'strangers' out there, hell even Facey looks new. We even have new Captains. It may take weeks to learn to play together and get to know each others tendencies.

Nothing unusual here and no need to over analyze we're just in transition for a while.
Agree 100%. Hell, even last year's team had massive holes in their game through the Louisville game (was it early March?) and look what happened. This is such a young, inexperienced team that what we have seen is expected. In fact, they have exceeded my early expectations. The positives far outweigh the negatives. This team will be good. Guys like Boat and DHam will be great!

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
Agree 100%. Hell, even last year's team had massive holes in their game through the Louisville game (was it early March?) and look what happened. This is such a young, inexperienced team that what we have seen is expected. In fact, they have exceeded my early expectations. The positives far outweigh the negatives. This team will be good. Guys like Boat and DHam will be great!

Yep. I remember last Nov/Dec as we were scrambling to win games by 1 point or so with Bazz carrying the team (Indiana, struggle vs BC, etc ...)

Reaction Score
We're learning an entirely new offensive approach, and it shows. Last year, we used Daniels/Giffey a ton on the pick and pop with Napier and Boatright. This year, the screener has to roll to the basket, which creates tighter spacing and requires more precision to execute. I think Ollie would prefer to have a stretch 4 setting the screens, but he doesn't and is trying to do things that play to the strength of the guards. You saw us run a weave yesterday and set screens to free Brimah in the post. All of these are things we didn't do last year.

Reaction Score
I don'thold anything against DD for leaving, but my god he would be scary good on this team.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score

Nothing unusual here and no need to over analyze, we're just in transition for a while.
I actually felt the team played well together. There were very few half court sets in which I felt the team was stagnant. The problem was , as @scrappy2.0 alludes, there were periods in which a slew of open shots failed to go through the net.

The most important thing is to get points in each offensive set. With that obvious point being made, I judge teams early in the season with how they move the ball as much as the effectiveness of scoring. There was a lot of great ball movement during that long period of non scoring. It wasn't like Boat was on the perimeter pounding the ball and having to force a shot late in the clock.

Reaction Score
I actually felt the team played well together. There were very few half court sets in which I felt the team was stagnant. The problem was , as @scrappy2.0 alludes, there were periods in which a slew of open shots failed to go through the net.

The most important thing is to get points in each offensive set. With that obvious point being made, I judge teams early in the season with how they move the ball as much as the effectiveness of scoring. There was a lot of great ball movement during that long period of non scoring. It wasn't like Boat was on the perimeter pounding the ball and having to force a shot late in the clock.

I don't think they're stagnant. Ollie has done a good job coaching the offense. They just look a bit mechanical right now because they don't have a good feel for each other. I am still worried about a lack of perimeter shooters, though.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
FWIW I agree on the lack of perimeter shooting, but there are plenty of guys who can take the shot - hopefully several of them become more consistent. I really enjoy the more motion offense the team seems to be running since Ollie took the helm. Much more movement without the ball instead of standing around and waiting for the lead PG to do something. I think as time goes on they will do more of the pick and roll, setting screens, etc etc - it's a young team in the sense that there are a lot of newer faces that we are trying to have mesh together.

I agree with Waquoit on another thread - it's going to be a fun team to watch, even if we experience some painful losses we think shouldn't have happened. He's right - we are coming off the high of winning the NC and given what Ollie has accomplished in 2 years, our expectations are a tad inflated IMHO...

Reaction Score
I don't think they're stagnant. Ollie has done a good job coaching the offense. They just look a bit mechanical right now because they don't have a good feel for each other. I am still worried about a lack of perimeter shooters, though.
It's funny and I'm not really counting on it but if Omar can hit some shots and play decent D he could find himself with extended minutes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom