2 BE teams want to break away from football schools | The Boneyard

2 BE teams want to break away from football schools

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
i don't get why everyone throws temple around in these talks. if its a fball talk then yes temple is a school to think about but if its a bball league why would you add them. yea they are good at bball but that mk is already spoken for, just doesn't make sense. what does?
shu-nj
prov-ri
nova-phili
gt-dc
sju-nyc
marq-wisc
dep-chi

go from there
-at this point nd sides with uconn/lville or goes to a conf
-grab markets with good or buildable programs
-boston = bu think about it, build that program and grab the market, you could even argue umass(spring/woc) as well and ruin HE(umass/bu/prov and take it from there but anyway)
-vt may be someone to look at
-siena(albany)
-a school from the buffalo/cuse area possibly
-xavier(cincy mk) maybe look at dayton also
-richmond?
-duq for the pitt market
-st louis is a def, makes dep/marq a better fit as well as a great mk add
-butler is recent news with a great mk, game on
-there are several others to add into the talks with...

i think these schools should do a 16 team conf with a 18 league sch. they could pride themselves on being the bball only conf that plays with the bcs confs etc. my example
shu/sju/gt/nova/prov/marq/dep + stl/xav/but/day/duq/char/bu/siena/rich

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
As long as it isn't Georgetown, Villanova, or in some years Marquette (or St. John's only because of ties to MSG) then I don't care. The rest just drag down conference RPI anyway.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
It's really at a point where the Big East should be gone - or probably change to BBall only and get the football schools into the ACC, B12, B10. It's going to happen at some point. The basketball only schools could really start a great bball conference with teams like Butler and Xavier and adding markets where BBall only schools could make a big jump up (UMass?) in a bigger better conference. They could have a really great bball product which would get a good contract from NBC or CBS or maybe Fox. It's just time to settle this mess and get the BCS conferences up to 16 football schools and the great east cost bball schools into a stable situation that they can build from.

Reaction Score
Only way a breakaway would happen is if Georgetown, Villanova and St. John's lead the charge. Nothing for UConn to worry about because, we'll be invited into the breakaway league for Basketball (+Olympic sports) and will just have to find a place to park football.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Now after they effed everything up, they want want to stick the shiv in deeper. Can't trust 'em, never could.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Georgetown President John J. DeGioia, who helped lead the conference’s recent expansion, said league members were in complete agreement with the changes.
“We certainly could have confronted in this moment an opportunity to break up the conference, and we emphatically made the decision to keep it together. We had a full consensus that the best thing for our basketball programs would be to remain in complete alignment with the football programs,” he said. “I would be surprised to hear that any of our non-football-playing members would report contemplating separation.”

Well, if history has taught us anything, Georgetown is one of the two. Everyone who has had a turn as head of the table has pleaded ignorance then bolted shortly thereafter.

John M. Marinatto, the Big East’s commissioner, said the league had long encouraged its basketball athletic directors to meet separately from the football AD’s and to discuss any concerns they may have with proposed changes. “Although they’ve had discussions, I’ve had no indication from any of them that they have serious desires to break away,” he said.
But he told me it’s hard to know who to trust anymore in the realignment shuffle. “People don’t always tell you the truth. It’s obviously hard to say that and hear that, but it’s something we’ve all learned as we go through this realignment.”

Well isn't that special. John was elevated to level of conference commissioner before he realized that some people in an organization are less than forthright and that duplicity isn't just a word in the dictionary.

Reaction Score
I have a great new name for this conference...the A-10! I don't know why these guys simply fail to understand that the Big East is and was the result of a very unique set of circumstances which simply won't be duplicated easily. Forming a league of "basketball powers" that will still be considered a major conference is not happening. Nobody but the Big East has been able to make it work. Gavitt and even Tranghese understood that the world was changing and that football needed to be part of the equation and major schools like Syracuse and Pitt needed to be part of the Big East. Both for tv and because frankly they had the kind of resources needed to carry the conference, which is what they and UCONN have done for the past decade or more.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Just another unsubstantiated article. More likely the unnamed schools are exploring their options should any of Louisville, UConn and Rutgers bolt to other places as opposed to a preemptive strike. But one never knows.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom