2/9/2019 - The Geno Auriemma Show | The Boneyard

2/9/2019 - The Geno Auriemma Show

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
One of the best episodes for multiple reasons. :)

Some nice Pheesa, Maya, Sveta praise, :D:D

Reaction Score
Yeah but some not so nice moments about CW. Geno was being mean to her like that time he was to Lou!

wbball novice

That bandwagon guy
Reaction Score
CW was getting reamed. She comes across as rather -- I'm not sure of the right word here -- mild-mannered -- the opposite of Taurasi or Bird (who walked out on one practice) back in the day. I could easily imagine seeing Sveta walking out in the middle of a game) after a Geno tirade. I hope CW doesn't get too anxious about doing the right thing; in my experience, this sometimes happens in the workplace..

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I thought that one of the most newsworthy quotes in the show was Geno's statement that he doesn't think that this year's team is well suited to press aggressively on defense, but they want to do it so he is accommodating rhem.

I think both parts of this statement are significant:

I'm not sure why he thinks that this team is not suited to press effectively. It has speed and ballhawking from Crystal and Christyn, and mobility behind them from Pheesa, Megan, and Lou. Why should he expect them not to press effectively? (I do notice that they haven't pressed a lot against the three Top 10 teams that they have played, all of whom had quick guards with good handles.)

But the other part of Geno's statement is even more interesting, and unexpected. Even though he doesn't think they are suited to press, he has done it in response to their expressed desire to do it. It shows that Geno does accept input from his team on issues of coaching strategy, even when they go against his better judgment. That is not most people's image of Geno, and it certainly surprised me. My guess is that Lou or Crystal, or maybe both of them, had a sitdown with him and told him that. And, to his great credit, he listened.

Reaction Score
My sense of Geno's reply was that he wasn't so much "giving in" to his players desire
to press, but that he let them press because it got them cranked up and playing agressively
and with energy all over the court.

Reaction Score
CW was getting reamed. She comes across as rather -- I'm not sure of the right word here -- mild-mannered -- the opposite of Taurasi or Bird (who walked out on one practice) back in the day. I could easily imagine seeing Sveta walking out in the middle of a game) after a Geno tirade. I hope CW doesn't get too anxious about doing the right thing; in my experience, this sometimes happens in the workplace..
She will be fine you can see she wants to get better at some point it’s just going to click and she will take off

wbball novice

That bandwagon guy
Reaction Score
It was the most unsanitized look at a women's bball coach in action I've ever seen. TV frequently wires up the coaches but I doubt whether they would have put it out there in the course of a game, and there wasn't anything this frank in the HBO series or SNY's Geno shows. It made me pretty uncomfortable. I don't attend games, so I'm wondering if it was typical of what you hear if you sit close to the bench.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
When you only have five reliable players, full court pressure as a steady diet against elite teams is going to wear out your starters. It also exposes you to the potential for early foul trouble.

Against AAC teams that doesn't really matter nearly as much, but why consistently full court press teams you're gonna smoke by 40 points without it? You'll just be running up the score. So you win by 60 instead of 40. Who cares?

Reaction Score
I'm going to check out Geno's podcasts. I like this Justine Ward who interviews Geno. I know you UCONN folk know Justine, but what is her history with UCONN WCBB Program?

Reaction Score
I'm going to check out Geno's podcasts. I like this Justine Ward who interviews Geno. I know you UCONN folk know Justine, but what is her history with UCONN WCBB Program?
She's a spy from ND. She gets to watch practices as a member of the media and then sends all the top secret UConn info back to Muffet.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Shocker. Coach yells at player during game! News at 11.
6662DBC1-0BBB-4E0B-A20B-60AF5EEE1EDD.jpeg

wbball novice

That bandwagon guy
Reaction Score
Pictures alone miss the point; it has to be heard.; he was going off. Could have been YouTube material. And Maya and DT were tough players from the get go. If this is his regular practice when calling out his players in public, then it would explain why other fans seem to have taken this in stride. Doing this in the workplace would have earned me a quick trip to HR -- and the game is their public workplace. I was under the impression his main negative motivational tool was sarcasm, not going full Bobby Knight.

Reaction Score
Pictures alone miss the point; it has to be heard.; he was going off. Could have been YouTube material. And Maya and DT were tough players from the get go. If this is his regular practice when calling out his players in public, then it would explain why other fans seem to have taken this in stride. Doing this in the workplace would have earned me a quick trip to HR -- and the game is their public workplace. I was under the impression his main negative motivational tool was sarcasm, not going full Bobby Knight.
You didnt play sports when you were younger? Go see some high school girls games. Coaches yell all the time.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
You don’t see him for all of the other times he’s with the players. They love him.

And, Christyn responded in a big way last night. Guess Geno knows his players better than the fans.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom