2 + 2 on Warde Manual & TJ Weist | The Boneyard

2 + 2 on Warde Manual & TJ Weist

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
From 1990 to 1993, Weist was a Grad Assistant and then the WR position coach at Michigan. (approximately age 22-25). Manual was coordinator of Michigan's Incentive Scholars program (immediately after his Michigan graduation and playing career) (approximately age 22-25).

Safe to say these two know each other reasonably well. It's not a leap to say that Warde Manual may have seen this as the Likely steps when he gave Paul Pasqualoni the next year.

Reaction Score
Yep. . . Turns out he really was the Coach In Waiting.

Reaction Score
Let's hope not because that raises additional questions such as did Weist actively undercut the head coach, his boss, in order to get this shot? did manuel lack the guts to make the change he knew had to be made last December? Was the athletic director actively working to undercut his head coach? these are interesting coincidences, and I suspect that the Michigan connection helped Weist land the OC job for which he is at best just qualified for, but if you are correct, Pudge, one has to question the integrity of Manuel and Weist. I'm not prepared to do that. my guess is that this is a temporary solution to what had become an untenable situation. Barring some incredible turnaround, I seriously doubt that Weist is any more than a stopgap. I hope the situation turns around and we go 8-0 the rest of the way, but if we go 3-5 or 4-4 and he gets annointed, Warde had better know that unless we challenge for a conference crown in 2014, both he and Wesit will be looking for jobs.

Reaction Score
I said this in another post. Wiest was no accident. He has to win some games now.

Reaction Score
Pasqualoni had his chance.

Now someone else will. I suspect that Weist is NOT the odds on favorite for the Head Job right now. He really has to do wonders over these next 10 weeks.

Reaction Score
Let's hope not because that raises additional questions such as did Weist actively undercut the head coach, his boss, in order to get this shot? did manuel lack the guts to make the change he knew had to be made last December?

Based on the playcalling in the first four games -- especially at Buffalo -- if there was any undercutting going on, it was P/GDL "filtering" TJ's playcalls. Yes I know he took one for the team three weeks ago but there were a lot of holes in that "Yes I am calling the plays" statement.

Looking forward to seeing an unfiltered TJ call the plays

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Lets see if he runs the Foxx jet sweep three times in the first 15 plays.

Reaction Score
WM: TJ...how would you like to be a head coach?
TJ: Where?
WM: At UConn of course.
TJ: But you already have a head coach.
WM: Yes we do at the present moment, but things may be changing soon. So let me rephrase that? What do you think it takes to be a head coach or to replace one?
TJ: To be a head coach, you have to be able to relate positively with everyone...from the President of the school on down of course, but even more importantly to the student-athletes themselves. They have to know you are on their side, and that you will do whatever it takes to make them successful on and off the field. They have to believe what I believe, that we are all born winners and that's how I expect them to play and achieve in the classroom.

As for what it takes to replace a head coach. It depends more than faulting a head coach just for having a losing season. Heck, even Joe Pa had some less than stellar seasons at Penn State. No, I'd say it begins when those players you expected to believe in you suffer a loss of confidence and start to doubt themselves and whether they can ever win again. At those times, a head coach in concert with his assistant coaches must use every ounce of their energy to overcome the setback of a loss by making sure the players know and understand that, yes - they will face adversity on the gridiron and even in life, as many of them have already have. However, it is more important how they respond to make certain that they know and understand that they mustn't let those setbacks define them. In addition, a head coach must continue to make certain the student-athletes continue to trust in themselves, their teammates, and their coaches and remain positive that not only are they capable of winning, they will win. Because if they stop believing in themselves, so too will their level of confidence that makes you ineffective as a head coach. At that point, you must be replaced.
WM: Could you wait outside for just a minute. I need to make a phone call.
TJ: Sure Mr. Manuel.
WM: [Distant phone ringing.] Ms. Herbst. This is Warde.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I got the sense from the introduction Warde gave TJ at the presser that they were not previously familiar with each other.

I also get the sense that TJ does not really have a big shot at the job - at least right now.

Reaction Score
I bet Warde calls her Susan.

TJ Weist, IMO, is not a great bet for the full time gig. But he has a shot. That's for sure.

Reaction Score

TJ Weist, IMO, is not a great bet for the full time gig. But he has a shot. That's for sure.
Worst case scenario is that Weist is HC at the end of the season. There needs to be better option. He can win 9 in a row and there will be better options. The current situation is the result of every single person involved with the program. Every coach, every player. Need a clean slate on the coaching side. The player side will be a clean slate in 2 recruiting cycles. I believe that the recruiting since the Fiesta Bowl has been subpar. Not everyone, but as far as depth and talent beyond most starters, there is a huge talent drop off. Retaining Weist based on a limited sample size is no better than UWV hiring Stewart after 1 upset in a bowl game or BC hiring Spaziani because he understands the school/can keep recruits and was a loyal guy.

I hope he and the team find some success in the balance of the season and that Uconn FB becomes bearable to watch. But this has to be an outside the system hire.

Reaction Score

this is my sense also. He's a temporary solution to the problem. If he really exceeds expectations maybe he gets consideration. if he finishes 1-7 or something he won't be back as head coach. If he finishes 8-0 he likely will. Anything in between and he improves his chances marginally with each win, reduces them with each loss. My hunch is that this is exactly what it is listed as, an interim deal to get us through the regular season, maybe bring a little life to the program and try to resurrect a team which seems to have quit on the season.

FWIW, I expect them to come out fired up for South Florida, at least in the early goings. It will be interesting to see 2 things. What happens when something goes wrong, and what the offense looks like.

Reaction Score
He can win 9 in a row and there will be better options.

Please..If he goes 9-0 he gets whatever he wants...If he wants a statue of himself placed outside of the football complex he will get it after they make the Disney movie.

6 wins and he is a lock for the job, there is no way Warde can replace him after he makes us bowl eligible, Warde would look like a fool if the guy he replaced him with fails.

5 wins and he will be the leading candidate and hard to beat.

4 will make him a strong contender as long as the players lobby on his behalf.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
this is my sense also. He's a temporary solution to the problem. If he really exceeds expectations maybe he gets consideration. if he finishes 1-7 or something he won't be back as head coach. If he finishes 8-0 he likely will. Anything in between and he improves his chances marginally with each win, reduces them with each loss. My hunch is that this is exactly what it is listed as, an interim deal to get us through the regular season, maybe bring a little life to the program and try to resurrect a team which seems to have quit on the season.

FWIW, I expect them to come out fired up for South Florida, at least in the early goings. It will be interesting to see 2 things. What happens when something goes wrong, and what the offense looks like.
You did this with KO. And it was ridiculous then as now! I'm looking for a team with passion. A team that doesn't quit. A team that can generate excitement with the play on the field. I'm looking for player development. I'm looking for progress the team makes from now till the end of the season. And I'm looking at the players endorsement of their coach!

Wins or losses are predicated on a coach who had a stamp on a team from the very beginning. Not a coach who has to undo years of bad coaching! And for clarification KO did not have a problem with bad coaching to deal with. He had essentially a team with no experience!

Reaction Score
I get Ollie was a fan favorite, a UConn guy. I don't get Weist except that his name isn't Paul Pasqualoni. I expect to see more passion on October 12. Can't be worse. I even expect a win, though with these two offenses it might be 4-2 in triple OT. I also can't believe people are ready to give this guy the permanent head coaching job based on what our offense has done to date.

Reaction Score
I get Ollie was a fan favorite, a UConn guy. I don't get Weist except that his name isn't Paul Pasqualoni. I expect to see more passion on October 12. Can't be worse. I even expect a win, though with these two offenses it might be 4-2 in triple OT. I also can't believe people are ready to give this guy the permanent head coaching job based on what our offense has done to date.

Show me one poster who wants to give him the full time job right now captain strawman. You are going to lose your marbles again with this coaching change aren't you? Just like last year.

Reaction Score
Let's hope not because that raises additional questions such as did Weist actively undercut the head coach, his boss, in order to get this shot? did manuel lack the guts to make the change he knew had to be made last December? Was the athletic director actively working to undercut his head coach? these are interesting coincidences, and I suspect that the Michigan connection helped Weist land the OC job for which he is at best just qualified for, but if you are correct, Pudge, one has to question the integrity of Manuel and Weist. I'm not prepared to do that. my guess is that this is a temporary solution to what had become an untenable situation. Barring some incredible turnaround, I seriously doubt that Weist is any more than a stopgap. I hope the situation turns around and we go 8-0 the rest of the way, but if we go 3-5 or 4-4 and he gets annointed, Warde had better know that unless we challenge for a conference crown in 2014, both he and Wesit will be looking for jobs.

scooter - After seeing the product on the field vs Towson & at Buffalo ... you wouldn't consider 4-4 an incredible turnaround??? Did you see 4 wins this season before the coaching change?

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
Oh please... :rolleyes:

If Weist goes 9-0 and wins a BCS bowl game no one in his right mind would do anything but ask Weist how much... our bigger problem might be who else tries to hire him away... but that being said it's insane to even think about this kind of thing right now. Just beat USF.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom