1st college player reportedly dies from covid complications. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

1st college player reportedly dies from covid complications.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
300lb.ers tend to be either Type 2 diabetic or pre-diabetic, morbidly obese, and have hypertension.

Mentioning that the 20 year old is an athlete provides some context that being young, in physical shape (photo appears to indicate otherwise), or having a high functioning respiratory system does not fend off COVID 100% if other comorbidity factors are present.

It's all academic. Whether one views the headline as misleading or accurate does not change the fact that a 20 year old passed on due to complications stemming from COVID-19. I'm inclined to keep my eye on the ball here.

Reaction Score
The risk is non-zero for athletes. It is also non-zero for athletes that stay home and don't participate in athletics.

The only way you have zero risk is if you isolate yourself from ALL people and never leave the house. At this point, everyone knows that. People have to be allowed to assess risk and "make reasonable choices" (maybe I should get this tattooed my neck in Sanskrit).

mikedog10

Tailgating Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Very sad. There are 70,000+ NCAA college football players. If he is the first fatality as the tweet says than the odds of death from Covid for a college football player is less than .0014285%
If we are calculating the odds of death for college football players, those players who's seasons are cancelled should be removed from both the numerator and the denominator.

Reaction Score
This really goes to the core of what your personal philosophy is on the current state of affairs. I choose to live my life as normal as possible while taking reasonable precautions and following all rules. I can get hit by a bus tomorrow under any circumstances, but if I take reasonable precautions and follow the rules I mitigate that risk to a level I can accept.

I think the powers that be in charge of organized sports (at all levels) can get to an acceptable level of risk. Therefore I think we should play. If any stakeholder (players/parents etc) do not want to participate it becomes a personal decision. I think for some people we will never get back to some sort of normalcy until it’s eradicated.

All this said, I don’t close myself off to someone else’s point of view.

Reaction Score
It absolutely does not. You have a clear bias when it comes to assessing the media.

People like you have been bellowing for months that college football players face no health or safety risks from this. I'm sorry you've been proven wrong - it must be a tough pill to swallow.

You want the narrative to be that football caused this young man to die of covid? I’m trying to figure out what you’re saying.

Are you saying that football players, particularly those playing the offensive and defensive line, are typically overweight and therefore more susceptible to dying if they get Covid? And that practicing and playing college football games will make them more susceptible to contracting Covid and therefore cause deaths that would not have happened otherwise?

Reaction Score

>>The university did not list a cause of death in its official release. His high school, Central Catholic in Pittsburgh, issued a statement Wednesday in which it had to walk back a Facebook post that attributed his cause of death to coronavirus complications. Nobody in the Stephens family has confirmed his cause of death, nor has the family issued a statement at this time.

The school has updated its original Facebook post, deleting any mention of his cause of death.

"When we heard the news of Jamain Stephens' death, we as a community were devastated," said Brother Tony Baginski, FSC, Principal of Central Catholic.

"He was well loved by everyone in our community, and in an effort to get the news out about his death in a timely manner, we mistakenly attributed his death without official confirmation on cause of death. We had obtained the information about his passing from close friends of Jamain, who reached out to us with the news. We apologize for this error, and this information has since been removed from our Facebook announcement dated 9/8/2020. At this time, we do not have official confirmation on his cause of death.<<

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
People like you have been bellowing for months that college football players face no health or safety risks from this. I'm sorry you've been proven wrong - it must be a tough pill to swallow.

Are there people here saying no risk - none at all? Really? If so that is obviously absurd, there certainly is risk.

The issue really is what is a reasonable risk and I think based on the current outcomes for people under 65 or so that is something that should be up to individuals to decide as the negative data is not overwhelmingly bad.

Reaction Score
I read that obesity is the #1 risk factor of all of the risk factors. It worsens the breathing difficulties caused by Covid-19.

C

Chief00

2382A9BB-9599-4D83-AB10-72B515FEB782.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members