1st college player reportedly dies from covid complications. | The Boneyard

1st college player reportedly dies from covid complications.

Status
Not open for further replies.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Totally misleading headline. California University of Pennsylvania on their website says they are operating remotely this semester and all dorms are closed. California University of Pennsylvania | Cal U
It's the media - let's bend, omit and massage the story so it fits what we want it to say
My sincere condolences to his family and friends - RIP JAMAIN

Reaction Score
Confused. I don’t think it’s misleading at all. People say “These are athletes. They won’t die. They’re young and fit.” It doesn’t matter how he contracted it. He is an athlete. He is young. He is a football player. He died from Covid complications. Sounds like a legit headline to me. Covid can kill young Men who play football. Period. Maybe not at the rate of nursing homes, but it can, and apparently does, happen.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Confused. I don’t think it’s misleading at all. People say “These are athletes. They won’t die. They’re young and fit.” It doesn’t matter how he contracted it. He is an athlete. He is young. He is a football player. He died from Covid complications. Sounds like a legit headline to me. Covid can kill young Men who play football. Period. Maybe not at the rate of nursing homes, but it can, and apparently does, happen.

It's definitely misleading.

A more accurate headline would be "College student taking classes remotely dies of Corona".......

Part of the reason reasonable people have suggested you can play safely is the ability to control and monitor player activity more aggressively when they are confined on campus. I don't think athletes are special on that regard. If you wanted to isolate and test the band or the physics department I think they would be equally as safe as football players.

This kid's death is lining up with much data suggesting home environments are much more dangerous than originally thought. I would be interested if they can trace back where he contacted the virus.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
It's definitely misleading.

A more accurate headline would be "College student taking classes remotely dies of Corona".......

Part of the reason reasonable people have suggested you can play safely is the ability to control and monitor player activity more aggressively when they are confined on campus. I don't think athletes are special on that regard. If you wanted to isolate and test the band or the physics department I think they would be equally as safe as football players.

This kid's death is lining up with much data suggesting home environments are much more dangerous than originally thought. I would be interested if they can trace back where he contacted the virus.

You want misleading? The bolded is misleading. Textbook misleading.
Staying home is safe. Staying home after something riskier probably isn't, when compared to being outside. But, that doesn't mean "home environments are much more dangerous than originally thought"
Jeez.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Not to sound cold, but this sort of puts a dent in the Athletes (particularly football players) are in great shape and should play defense. Unless a kid is 8 feet tall, a 300lber is going to be at risk.

The Rock is in tremendous shape and he said COVID put him out for a month.

Last edited:

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
He was a football player. He died of Covid related complications.
And we've been told that this is unpossible. Only the old and fat die. The one's the big FB fans have deemed expendable because if you're fat they think you have it coming.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
This is still about individual choices - and has been since we had collected the first 90-120 days of data.

For balance we should read up on the bios of all those that have been lost to this terrible pandemic under age 65. I am sure we will something in common with most actually involved in a job or activity that was non essential prior to contracting the illness. And so how will we view their story? Will we clamor to shut down whatever it was they did prior to becoming ill? Yes/no/maybe - statistical relevance matters.

Prayers to the family. Sounds like a wonderful young man with so much to offer the world.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Very sad. There are 70,000+ NCAA college football players. If he is the first fatality as the tweet says than the odds of death from Covid for a college football player is less than .0014285%

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Very sad. There are 70,000+ NCAA college football players. If he is the first fatality as the tweet says than the odds of death from Covid for a college football player is less than .0014285%

So he will be the only one?

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
A lot of people with egg on their faces ITT. Now I know to trust your COVID takes even less than I did before.

HuskyV

Connecticut UConn Husky
Reaction Score
Very sad to lose a young person for any reason.

One trait the young man had was "college football player". I have not read that the CDC indicated "college football players" were a risk group.

We do not know anything about what risk group he may have had: High weight, Asthmatic, kidney,, diabetes.....who knows. But if any issues exist that would be the public health concern that should be spread. Not his cancelled hobbies.

We do thst remote schooling & shutting down football were did not help. If football activity was in motion, perhaps early detection by daily tempature or c19 test could have gotten treatment started earlier.

Many, many what if's & unknowns. If you first thought is this adds to your political argument to cancel football your are misguided.

Hoping the medical community and political authorities have more collective data and share it more effectively.

It may be a case that certian health riskngoups should be treated and watched more carefully. Even if they are just taking remote classes. They need to stay away from parties and people that have attended parties.

Reaction Score
He was a football player. He died of Covid related complications. That headline is as straightforward as it gets. People on either side of the argument can add their expectations and feel some way about it. But it isn't misleading.

Have to disagree. This headline implies his status as a football player lead to his death.

The story does not, but today's media too often editorializes in crafty ways, as in this headline.

It's a sad day for this young man's family, but he did not contract the virus from practicing or playing or from attending meetings or anything else related to football, so adding that he is a football player is misleading.

It'd be like saying "football coach" dies from virus if Lou Holtz contracted it and died today. No offense Lou. :(

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
Have to disagree. This headline implies his status as a football player lead to his death.

The story does not, but today's media too often editorializes in crafty ways, as in this headline.

It's a sad day for this young man's family, but he did not contract the virus from practicing or playing or from attending meetings or anything else related to football, so adding that he is a football player is misleading.

It'd be like saying "football coach" dies from virus if Lou Holtz contracted it and died today. No offense Lou. :(

It absolutely does not. You have a clear bias when it comes to assessing the media.

People like you have been bellowing for months that college football players face no health or safety risks from this. I'm sorry you've been proven wrong - it must be a tough pill to swallow.

Reaction Score
He did not contract this from playing football so its not football related.

If the "shut down" crowd wants to use this to support their POV then they must also support the shutdown of the basketball season. Call Hurley and let him know. Be consistent in your argument and BTW say a prayer for the workers at the supermarket when you go and pick up your food. And say a prayer for all the people who went to work today or to school today.
There is no need to just single out football. This is a human story not a football story.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99