xclamations

Storrs north
Reaction Score
God I still get chills when Langdon falls and the team runs across the court

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I might be in the minority here, but I never did like Nantz' call,
"Sometimes when you think you can't, you can, and UCONN has won the national championship."

As CardChronical.com notes, "One of the all-time greats. Nantz decides he's going to tarnish what was one of the best games of the 90's by uttering this line that obviously took him no less than eight days to concoct."

Reaction Score
I might be in the minority here, but I never did like Nantz' call,
"Sometimes when you think you can't, you can, and UCONN has won the national championship."

As CardChronical.com notes, "One of the all-time greats. Nantz decides he's going to tarnish what was one of the best games of the 90's by uttering this line that obviously took him no less than eight days to concoct."
I couldnt care less. After Langdon hit the floor its all a blur. By the time i came to we had 3 more

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
i was there that night. Up in the nosebleeds. At the end of the game, all I could think of was all those games in the Field House. The dirt floor! The leaky roof! the total lack of respect! I had tears in my eyes when I said to myself and my wife, "We are National Champions!"
The Fieldhouse had a dirt floor? I don’t remember that.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
The Fieldhouse had a dirt floor? I don’t remember that.
When I dropped my pen used for keeping score, I went down under the bleachers at halftime to retrieve the pen.

Dirt floor.

I was kind of surprised not to see it in the Karaban video that was posted, until I thought it through more.

CL82

Reaction Score
When I dropped my pen used for keeping score, I went down under the bleachers at halftime to retrieve the pen.

Dirt floor.

I was kind of surprised not to see it in the Karaban video that was posted, until I thought it through more.
I have no recollection of that and I was in that building a lot. I’m not disagreeing with you, especially with that vivid a memory, but it surprises me that I never noticed it.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I have no recollection of that and I was in that building a lot. I’m not disagreeing with you, especially with that vivid a memory, but it surprises me that I never noticed it.
My first visit to the Field House was during the Kennedy Administration, and the last would have been in 1971. I imagine that helps in explaining the mismatched experiences, but I have no details.

Reaction Score
I think it was used for track and field so it was dirt under the basketball floor. Maybe........

Reaction Score
A 36hr bus trip with my 14 year old daughter, buying tickets from scalpers in an alley ( the 50 people at our house for the championship game unaware that I wasn’t in Connecticut ). Some civil disobedience ( stole a 5 ft final 4 banner hanging 25ft off the ground on a lamp post which is tucked away in my safe) and 22 years later after my marriage and the birth of my 6 kids this still comes in as my favorite memory of all time.
One of my favorite memories is listening to ESPN radio while my friend and I were driving from Jacksonville (best deal on flights) to St. Pete.

All the chatter was about Duke. Hardly mentioned UConn, and one guy even said Duke's second team would probably win.

Got us fired up and then the Duke students mocking the "UCONN" cheer with USUCK, you suck, you suck, you suck, just added to the win. I couldn't help asking one of them after the game "who sucks?"

CL82

Reaction Score
I think it was used for track and field so it was dirt under the basketball floor. Maybe........
Yeah there was definitely a track that surrounded at the basketball court. I’m pretty sure the bleachers pulled out over it, but not 100% sure. So there may have been that gravel surface, but that’s different than dirt. Hans may be right, maybe it was dirt sometime before 1978, which is possible but I wouldn’t think so give them the building construction.

Reaction Score
Can’t believe it’s been 22 years, there should be a documentary on this, you can get the stories from both sides on their pre game thoughts and their thoughts to this day.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom