#19 Indiana @ #12 Maryland - 1/04/21 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

#19 Indiana @ #12 Maryland - 1/04/21

Who will win this game?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reaction Score
When was the last time Maryland got to the final four, let alone the championship game.
2015, so four tournaments ago. Not that long. Had the fifth happened, I think Maryland had a decent shot last year based on their projection as a #1 seed in the Fort Worth region.

Say what you will, but Maryland is 2-1 against Top 25 opponents. Not many teams in the country can say that at the moment. I don’t have Maryland in my current top five, but this year is wide open with UConn so young and SC looking for leadership.

Reaction Score
2014 and 2015. They won it all in 2006. No way to predict what would've happened, but they were going to be a #1 seed last year too had the tournament happened.
Thank you—my point exactly.

Reaction Score
Question is will they stay....this team would be a legitimate title contender if Mikesell/Austin stayed and Reese was healthy.
That may be true, but I’d argue Benzan is everything Mikesell was. Austin has great potential but didn’t fully realize it at Maryland and she has been rumored to have attitude issues as well. Best of luck to her at Ole Miss, where she has been solid if not impressive.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
That may be true, but I’d argue Benzan is everything Mikesell was. Austin has great potential but didn’t fully realize it at Maryland and she has been rumored to have attitude issues as well. Best of luck to her at Ole Miss, where she has been solid if not impressive.
I think Mikesell is better suited to perform against good teams because of her size, but we'll see. Benzan has been an excellent pickup for Maryland so far.

Austin was a stud and improved big time as a sophomore IMO. Her loss at first glance was huge just due to her position and what she brought to the table. If she had attitude issues then her leaving may be for Maryland's benefit. Although choosing Ole Miss is definitely a head scratcher....she would've improved a lot under Brenda if she bought into being a post player.

Reaction Score
I think Mikesell is better suited to perform against good teams because of her size, but we'll see. Benzan has been an excellent pickup for Maryland so far.

Austin was a stud and improved big time as a sophomore IMO. Her loss at first glance was huge just due to her position and what she brought to the table. If she had attitude issues then her leaving may be for Maryland's benefit. Although choosing Ole Miss is definitely a head scratcher....she would've improved a lot under Brenda if she bought into being a post player.
You’re definitely correct that Austin’s size, position, and defensive prowess are serious losses for Maryland. I wonder how she’ll develop at Ole Miss. I saw she hit a three today. I’m looking forward to seeing Austin go up against Boston or Howard.

Reaction Score
I think Reese minimizes the need for Austin in Maryland.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I guess you didn't see yesterday's LSU-Ole Miss game where Shakira single-handedly lost the game for Ole Miss. She has not continued to develop since her lofty HS rankings...such a shame as her physical tools are pretty impressive.

Reese is a wing if I recall so not sure she offsets a 6'5" post player. And no, I also don't think Benzen replaces Mikesell but she doesn't have to, Bibby is shooting the 3's and Diamond Miller is developing an inside game that Austin never wanted to develop. Faith M is also thriving nicely. We just have to see if anyone transfers after the season....:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
I guess you didn't see yesterday's LSU-Ole Miss game where Shakira single-handedly lost the game for Ole Miss. She has not continued to develop since her lofty HS rankings...such a shame as her physical tools are pretty impressive.

Reese is a wing if I recall so not sure she offsets a 6'5" post player. And no, I also don't think Benzen replaces Mikesell but she doesn't have to, Bibby is shooting the 3's and Diamond Miller is developing an inside game that Austin never wanted to develop. Faith M is also thriving nicely. We just have to see if anyone transfers after the season....:rolleyes:
I believe Austin wants to be a Wing but Freese had her at the 5. The 1 game ive seen of Angel Reese she replicated Austins skill set wanting to bring the ball up court , but Freese had her at the 5. Their size is uncanny but Brenda doesn't believe players with size should be initiating the offense i guess LOL

Reaction Score
Austin was developing nicely as a sophomore, especially her defense. However, she never wanted to play in the post, it appeared she did not like the banging and she wanted to be able to take the ball down court on a fast break. I remember her father saying that she was not a center. However, you can’t blame her for wanting to expand her game, but her talent seems to be in the post. I believe she chose Ole Miss because she probably felt she could do more of what she wanted there.

Benzan definitely replaces Mikesell. Their records so far for 3 pointers this year are Benzan: 29 for 54 (54%), Mikesell: 25 for 53 (47%). Plus, Benzan is a much better lateral defender And ball handler.

I think too much is made of MD transfers. Austin wanted to expand her game, which was not going to happen at MD. Mikesell must have saw the writing on the wall after Benzan and Bibby transferred in, Mikesell put her name in the portal the next day. Owens transferred for PT, which she is slowly getting at KY.

Reaction Score
I think Austin wants to be a Kevin Durant/Giannis type of player. A player with size who can step out to the perimeter. I thought she had a nice mid range game but she was prone to turnovers. In the 4 losses Maryland had last season, I don't think Austin was responsible for any of them.

As far as Mikesell/Benzan, the only thing they have in common is the three point shooting. Benzan is far superior in her ball handling and passing. Also Benzan hasn't showed the shooting slumps that Mikesell was prone to last season.

Reaction Score
I think Austin wants to be a Kevin Durant/Giannis type of player. A player with size who can step out to the perimeter. I thought she had a nice mid range game but she was prone to turnovers. In the 4 losses Maryland had last season, I don't think Austin was responsible for any of them.

As far as Mikesell/Benzan, the only thing they have in common is the three point shooting. Benzan is far superior in her ball handling and passing. Also Benzan hasn't showed the shooting slumps that Mikesell was prone to last season.
Yeah, I agree. I don’t think Benzan is a downgrade from Mikesell. I lean towards the opposite view, actually.

My comments here have sparked some debate, so I want to clarify that I’m not suggesting Maryland is yet a top five team. I do think the Terps are playing better than many expected and I’m curious to see how they fare in the Big Ten. Michigan in particularly looks vastly underranked to me. Wolverines have played very well.

Reaction Score
Yeah, I agree. I don’t think Benzan is a downgrade from Mikesell. I lean towards the opposite view, actually.

My comments here have sparked some debate, so I want to clarify that I’m not suggesting Maryland is yet a top five team . I do think the Terps are playing better than many expected and I’m curious to see how they fare in the Big Ten. Michigan in particularly looks vastly underranked to me. Wolverines have played very well.
Maryland I feel is barely a top 10 team. Angel Reese being out doesn't help. But Ashley Owusu is playing at an All American level right now. But I an expecting some bumps in the road against teams like Michigan and Naz Hillmon.

Reaction Score
I think too much is made of MD transfers. Austin wanted to expand her game, which was not going to happen at MD. Mikesell must have saw the writing on the wall after Benzan and Bibby transferred in, Mikesell put her name in the portal the next day. Owens transferred for PT, which she is slowly getting at KY.
Each individual transfer has it own good story. But, when you add them all up, Maryland has a way disproportionate number of transfers by starters and stars - not just bench players who want more minutes or thought they would be starters. This isn't normal. At this point is is impossible to conclude that it's anywhere close to random.

(My guess - and it's only a guess - is that there is frequently a discrepancy between what Brenda tells a recruit and what the player learns to be the truth after they get there. Maybe this isn't the reason. Maybe it's the rumored borderline abusive behavior. In any case there IS a reason. This pattern is too prevalent to be random.)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Maryland I feel is barely a top 10 team. Angel Reese being out doesn't help. But Ashley Owusu is playing at an All American level right now. But I an expecting some bumps in the road against teams like Michigan and Naz Hillmon.
I like Michigan, but I doubt that they can take Maryland unless Frese screws up the game plan.

Reaction Score
I believe Austin wants to be a Wing but Freese had her at the 5. The 1 game ive seen of Angel Reese she replicated Austins skill set wanting to bring the ball up court , but Freese had her at the 5. Their size is uncanny but Brenda doesn't believe players with size should be initiating the offense i guess LOL
I think Brenda's comfortable if they're a good enough ball-handler. Shakira was at no point capable of doing this.

(Note: Bueckers is clearly a stud, so ignore the wording and focus on the highlight).

Reaction Score
Angel Reese played PG for her AAU team. She is an excellent ball handler and passer. Shakira Austin need a lot of work to even reach Reese level as a ball handler.

Reaction Score
Each individual transfer has it own good story. But, when you add them all up, Maryland has a way disproportionate number of transfers by starters and stars - not just bench players who want more minutes or thought they would be starters. This isn't normal. At this point is is impossible to conclude that it's anywhere close to random.

(My guess - and it's only a guess - is that there is frequently a discrepancy between what Brenda tells a recruit and what the player learns to be the truth after they get there. Maybe this isn't the reason. Maybe it's the rumored borderline abusive behavior. In any case there IS a reason. This pattern is too prevalent to be random.)
My problem with the Maryland transfers were who were transferring and the fact that no one were available to replace them. At least Brenda have corrected the 2nd problem. Benzan, Collins, Bibby and Styles are a pretty good haul in the transfer market. Brenda should get a lot of credit for this even though she don't.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
All I know is that whatever issues arise at Maryland, Brenda keeps putting out pretty good teams that contend for Conference Titles and strong records so while we might not like how it looks, the results are there and yes, much to the consternation of the BYers...Last I checked, recruiting was the most crucial ingredient to college coaching and Brenda does that extremely well. :cool:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom