19-20 Transfer Thread | Page 2 | The Boneyard

19-20 Transfer Thread

Reaction Score
You forgot Jonika Garvin who left the team after a short stint on the bench and Ameysha Williams who randomly disappeared. It all just seem a little sketchy to me. In any case we’ll never know why she left so I guess we leave it at that.
J Garvin left to play more for a smaller school. It may have been either NAIA or DII. The reason for A Williams was referenced above. Obviously message boards are for speculation and to a certain degree fans of opposing schools to excuse their attribution while guessing on others. However, regardless of the school allegiance, sometimes it’s best to not pontificate. No program, player or coach is as clean or dirty as referenced by home fans or opposing fans respectively.

Reaction Score
Williams leaving really hurt that team because she was expected to contribute that year. There was a reason that wasn't shared publicly, but I don't even think she's playing basketball anymore. Nyah Tate is no longer playing either. Most people think she medically retired because she had injury issues dating back to high school.

Reaction Score
That would be pretty horrible if Vic forced her out to take another recruit. Very bad. Vic doesn't strike me as that kind of coach...

I can't see Vic doing that either. Honestly, it would be really stupid for any coach to do that because it would give you a bad name with recruits.

Reaction Score
Do you think she could end up at Arkansas? A whole new coaching staff since she committed to MS State.

Reaction Score
Do you think she could end up at Arkansas? A whole new coaching staff since she committed to MS State.
Or UALR since she’s from Little Rock, but Arkansas would be a good landing spot

Reaction Score
Or UALR since she’s from Little Rock, but Arkansas would be a good landing spot
I believe Arkansas has one available scholarship and it appears they are in good shape to land Elauna Eaton.

Vic found a diamond in the rough in Scott. Her other finalists were Southern Miss and Arkansas State.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
J Garvin left to play more for a smaller school. It may have been either NAIA or DII. The reason for A Williams was referenced above. Obviously message boards are for speculation and to a certain degree fans of opposing schools to excuse their attribution while guessing on others. However, regardless of the school allegiance, sometimes it’s best to not pontificate. No program, player or coach is as clean or dirty as referenced by home fans or opposing fans respectively.

I disagree. I aint naming that school though.
33.gif
Though it rhymes with Hapel Chill.

Reaction Score
People close to the program (and probably a lot of die-hard fans) know that NO ONE wanted A. Williams to leave Miss State. She was going to be a huge contributor. Most of those same people also know why she left. I'm not going to hang a kid out to dry on a message board, but she was disciplined for a pretty serious issue (stemming from a boyfriend's activity) and did not respond well. She left, and the coaches tried to convince her to return, but she didn't. If she had a baby, that happened afterwards, and that's not why she left. I don't think she's currently playing anywhere, which is a shame, because she's very talented. Daphane White had some pretty serious academic issues, which were known when she was recruited. I think the staff thought that if she could qualify and pass NCAA clearinghouse, that she'd be ok, but it's my understanding that she was not able to pass academically, which became evident in summer school, and they (and her parents) felt she needed to do some remediation at a junior college. Nyah Tate is no longer playing basketball. She is a precious young lady who has struggled injuries and depression. I think it was her decision to leave, although I don't know that for sure. I do know she was loved by everyone inside the program. I heard she is still enrolled at MSU. Iggy left because she wanted to play more than she was going to after her injury. I don't personally know the details behind Bre'Amber Scott leaving, but I do know for a fact that it wasn't the staff's choice for her to go.

Reaction Score
Isn't Scott a pretty good shooter? Baylor could use more guards next year.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
He didn't force her out. If there's a roster space problem, it wouldn't be Bre'Amber as the sacrificial lamb. Whoever loses the primary minutes between Jessika Carter and Promise Taylor is probably as good as gone next year. There is no space for the center position for 4 or 5 players.

Besides, Bre's twitter posted on Oct 2 sounds like there's a family issue aspect to this. And on Oct 3rd, she was seen back in practice doing swimming drills.

View attachment 47363

For once, me and you are on the same page.

“For once”? Really? You never have agreed with my fine colleague @Plebe on any other of numerous posts he makes? That’s worrisome that I have regularly agreed with your perspective :confused:
Perhaps you misspoke that phrase?
The big issue here is something we on the BY like to point out in others, but ignore here in our own house- large recruiting classes of 4 or more NEVER stay four years. I did a chart on this last year and the only Top school in the last 7 years who kept large classes together was Stanford. Our banner class of 2020 will most certainly have 1 if not 2 transfers out by the end of their Sophomore year.
It is the “new normal” now. How you want to spin it is just that-SPIN. UConn, SC, MD and MSU will have at least 1 player each transfer by the end of next year. You can count on it.

Reaction Score
“For once”? Really? You never have agreed with my fine colleague @Plebe on any other of numerous posts he makes? That’s worrisome that I have regularly agreed with your perspective :confused:
Perhaps you misspoke that phrase?
The big issue here is something we on the BY like to point out in others, but ignore here in our own house- large recruiting classes of 4 or more NEVER stay four years. I did a chart on this last year and the only Top school in the last 7 years who kept large classes together was Stanford. Our banner class of 2020 will most certainly have 1 if not 2 transfers out by the end of their Sophomore year.
It is the “new normal” now. How you want to spin it is just that-SPIN. UConn, SC, MD and MSU will have at least 1 player each transfer by the end of next year. You can count on it.
As far as other recent top-10 teams, Oregon State has also done pretty well. They'll graduate all four members of their original 2016 class this year. They've had very few players transfer out.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
As far as other recent top-10 teams, Oregon State has also done pretty well. They'll graduate all four members of their original 2016 class this year. They've had very few players transfer out.

Yep. Breanna Brown did a grad transfer to Georgia Tech that really was about her degree/career (you'll have to excuse me for being skeptical, but probably 99% of grad transfers are due to sports, not academics). Taylor Kalmer was buried in the depth chart and transferred to San Diego St. I can't think of any others during Rueck's tenure.

Reaction Score
Yep. Breanna Brown did a grad transfer to Georgia Tech that really was about her degree/career (you'll have to excuse me for being skeptical, but probably 99% of grad transfers are due to sports, not academics). Taylor Kalmer was buried in the depth chart and transferred to San Diego St. I can't think of any others during Rueck's tenure.
I think your percentage is a little low.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score

Why would you knowingly bring someone into your program for a year if they weren’t really there to play? I think it’s a great opportunity, but the players who are good enough for coaches to bring in for a year are going to be the ones who are focused primarily on athletics.

Are D2 or D3 grad transfers a thing?

Reaction Score
Why would you knowingly bring someone into your program for a year if they weren’t really there to play? I think it’s a great opportunity, but the players who are good enough for coaches to bring in for a year are going to be the ones who are focused primarily on athletics.

So . . . GT should have turned down a 6'4" forward who was a former 4-star recruit and a major contributor to a Pac12 championship team just because her MAIN motivation was to get a GT MBA? You got 15 schollies - there ain't many teams that can't spare one for a player like that. As it happens, Bre didn't do all that much for GT, but I'm sure she wasn't the 15th best on the team.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Are D2 or D3 grad transfers a thing?

Interesting question, no idea. They only get partial scholies at that level don't they? Just taking a guess, probably not on the grad transfer thing at that level.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score

That's fine, but I wish they would call it what it is and drop the pretense. It's all kind of a sham. I've seen a report at some point, a fairly low percentage of grad transfers actually finish their grad program. They just play for that last year and then they are done w/ academics.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
99.5%?
Higher.
In all seriousness there used to be a "restriction" on graduate transfers which is largely ignored now. The restriction used to be the receiving school had to offer a major or course of study that was not available at the prior school. Most colleges now a days are smart enough to bend the curriculum into a major or course of study that is close enough to something they might not explicitly offer.

Reaction Score
Higher.
In all seriousness there used to be a "restriction" on graduate transfers which is largely ignored now. The restriction used to be the receiving school had to offer a major or course of study that was not available at the prior school. Most colleges now a days are smart enough to bend the curriculum into a major or course of study that is close enough to something they might not explicitly offer.
I agree and don’t have any issue with a player that has graduated moving to another school to play immediately and get a graduate degree.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I agree and don’t have any issue with a player that has graduated moving to another school to play immediately and get a graduate degree.
But how many graduate transfers actually complete the degree? At least in terms of the high-profile ones, most of them seem to move on after playing a year. I doubt they completed their Master's degree in just one year.

Reaction Score
But how many graduate transfers actually complete the degree? At least in terms of the high-profile ones, most of them seem to move on after playing a year. I doubt they completed their Master's degree in just one year.
I’m not sure of the numbers. However realistically I agree most (if not all the high profile ones) are likely using it as a way to attend a new school. Regardless of whether they finish the graduate degree or not I’m in favor of it incentivizing a player to complete their undergraduate degree. I had a friend whose son was a decent recruit that attended a power 5 program. He had a decent career but it was obvious he had peaked early and not developed into a major contributor. He talked to the coaches and redshirted his junior year to preserve a year of eligibility. He graduated and had two years to play. He transferred to a lower level school and was a key player while finishing an MBA.
In contrast I was very happy for the player that graduated from Murray State then grad transferred to UConn. She developed into a very good player in college and now gets a chance to play for a national championship.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I’m not sure of the numbers. However realistically I agree most (if not all the high profile ones) are likely using it as a way to attend a new school. Regardless of whether they finish the graduate degree or not I’m in favor of it incentivizing a player to complete their undergraduate degree. I had a friend whose son was a decent recruit that attended a power 5 program. He had a decent career but it was obvious he had peaked early and not developed into a major contributor. He talked to the coaches and redshirted his junior year to preserve a year of eligibility. He graduated and had two years to play. He transferred to a lower level school and was a key player while finishing an MBA.
In contrast I was very happy for the player that graduated from Murray State then grad transferred to UConn. She developed into a very good player in college and now gets a chance to play for a national championship.
The NCAA already has a bunch of degree progress completion requirements, incentives & punishments . Personally I don't think these guidelines are strong enough. My model would be much simpler: Graduate a student athlete and you get to open up a scholarship next year for an incoming player.
Division I Progress-Toward-Degree Requirements

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom