$17m early buyout agreement per Blauds | Page 4 | The Boneyard

$17m early buyout agreement per Blauds

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Maybe it is the teams that went 2-10 or 3-9 that should be granted extra practice time....
Well right now that sounds like a good idea.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Dave Benedict fielding emails from SEC and ACC ADs looking for home and homes like:

Reaction Score
$17 million seems about right. Rutgers paid $12.5 million to leave the AAC and that was 5 or so years ago. Filling out the 2020 schedule is going to be tough. Good luck to you guys. Hopefully we can get some BB games scheduled in the near future.

Reaction Score
Except us perhaps. That would be ideal. It's 15 minutes from my house and Gillette is closer to Storrs than Amherst. Maybe turn it into a Florida-Georgia style annual game?
From our perspective, that'd be fine. For UMass, I'm not sure how much of a net positive it is to continue outsourcing games to Gillette. But if they want to do a home/home every year at Rent/Gillette, I'd think UConn would sign up in a heartbeat.

Reaction Score
Maybe you haven’t toured our Football Complex; I have toured yours East of Broad Street. No I have not and I am sure it is very nice. But is it nice enough to convince a recruit to choose UConn over Temple, UB, BC, Cuse, Rutgers, Pitt, ECU? Those are the schools you need to recruit against and win to get your program back to respectability? Temple's facilities for football are nice and they just built a brand new indoor facility too. Are they on the level of UConn's new facility? Probably not, but Temple can sell a winning program, conference membership, espn games, bowls, NFL draft picks...Since we are making this about Temple for some reason... UConn was successful previously because they could sell BE football and recruit PA, NJ, VA etc and win those battles against schools that didn't have a leg up against them. Rutgers, BC, Pitt, UVA, Cuse were all peers. Now with this move, what level are they at in football in the pecking order?

You’re kidding yourself. You’re a long way from the next tier of CFB elite. And the gap is widening with that strange 13 year stretch of Flat revenue. OK, so if that is the case why is UConn still funding a FB team at the FBS Independence level? If Temple is not close, UConn now is twice as far away with the same expenses for football it had before...

We don’t know about Rod Carey. I bet he fails. Jetting Ed Foley is a sign. But we would love to continue playing Temple. Philadelphia or Connecticut. I don't know if Rod will succeed or not but Temple is bound to lose a step at some point after losing successful coaches recently. However, Rod did when 2 MAC titles and 4 Mac West titles is 6 years. He made a MAC title game with 5 new starters on the Oline one year and made another Mac title game with a 6th string QB. Is he a fit for Temple, IDK but Temple has had a history of success with hirings so we shall see...again, why are we talking about Temple, we have our own challenges...

But again this is about UConn. Is Randy the answer, it certainly doesn't seem like it? Now you have to go out a hire a new HC with a tough situation and probably a more limited salary pool for assistants...which delays the progress again. So what if you have p5s coming to the Rent. You have to win to attract fans and get money. Army is a great example of scheduling to win. Is UConn getting to try and get as many P5s on the schedule as they can and hope people show up to see blowouts???

We care about Hoop. I thought Temple did as well; and that’s a faint heart from Liacouras. We get MSG. Semi & Final of BET; that’s our Rose Bowl. If we get to 6-6 etc ... I think we will be fine. I get that you care about hoop and this move was made for that, but then why waste the money for a very very unsure situation with football at FBS? This move makes a ton of sense if you just kill the program now or after this season. Keeping football sounds like a bailout for the moment for the current AD and board. Once new president and AD come on board they can say 'well we didn't make the decision that put us in this bad situation, but it just doesn't make sense to continue".

Have fun in Tulsa. Well we used to only have to play them in football at Tulsa I think once every 6 years but you guys ruined that for us...thanksssss

As far as basketball goes, Tulsa has finished above UConn in conference every year except 1 since they have been in the league sooooo?

The fact of the matter is, if UConn basketball had been successful in the AAC I am not so sure the Big East move happens. I get why it did as the American is getting blamed for the failure of the basketball program instead of where the blame should have been.

Sorry to see you go and hope it works out for the fans, one way or another...Temple is now the Northeastern outpost of the conference...ughhhh

C

Chief00

You keep saying this Chief. My understanding from the contract that UConn signed with the Big East is that they will get the full distribution as a member once they join the conference. They won't get the tournament shares that the Big East will be receiving from when UConn was in the American, which makes sense.
Don’t disagree - I was including tournament revenues as part of conference distributions - I also mentioned that I wouldn’t extrapolate recent Big East tournament distributions into the future due to Villanova winning twice during these years.

Last edited by a moderator:

UC1995

Back to Basics!
Reaction Score
It may have taken a team like UCOnn to break the mold of all middling football teams. There is a desire for P5 teams to play as close to home as possible. Especially the middle of the pack and lower. If we can succeed we might actually see more teams do freelance as an independent. They see it as winnable and their fans can travel to it.

If you have 2 or 3 in each geographical region who are bigger “names” not tied to a conference but can be used for scheduling purposes in football you could do just fine.

I still say it would be easier as independent who can succeed to move to a P5 before someone tied to a conference. No one would need to worry about negotiations.

Reaction Score
I really don’t understand how you go $20.5 Million in the hole and come out ahead with less conf. revenue. Saving $2 Million a year in travel is a 10 year payback. $4 Million a year in NBE conference share versus $5 Million Net AAC before bowl shares (assuming very generously $2 Million in production costs with downsized ESPN talent all over the place) and we are still -$1Million, meaning another $10 Million in lost revenue over 10 years. So, the bet is we will cover $30 Million to get even by joining the NBE. I really don’t understand how this is financially prudent unless the math is to drop football down to FCS and count reduced schollies as expense savings. By 2020, I suspect we move down unless we get a very nice FB media deal. Nobody will admit it but that’s what the math says.

C

Chief00

Understood, but since we weren't a member when that money was earned, I'm not troubled by not getting a share of it.

You make a good point though, that we weren't really get a distribution of NCAA credit money until after we've been in the conference a year. I hadn't really thought about that timing.
And we don’t play a basketball season until 2020/2021 - so the tournament distribution starts sometime after that season ends.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I really don’t understand how you go $20.5 Million in the hole and come out ahead with less conf. revenue. Saving $2 Million a year in travel is a 10 year payback. $4 Million a year in NBE conference share versus $5 Million Net AAC before bowl shares (assuming very generously $2 Million in production costs with downsized ESPN talent all over the place) and we are still -$1Million, meaning another $10 Million in lost revenue over 10 years. So, the bet is we will cover $30 Million to get even by joining the NBE. I really don’t understand how this is financially prudent unless the math is to drop football down to FCS and count reduced schollies as expense savings. By 2020, I suspect we move down unless we get a very nice FB media deal. Nobody will admit it but that’s what the math says.

It will take time. But throwing out some unsubstantiated hypothetical numbers:

Ticket revenue increases from $9.1M per year closer to our norm, call it $12M a year
Licensing has been down, let's be conservative and say this boosts it $1M a year from 2018's $14M
Travel costs +$1M a year saved
Cost of production of WBB, football, soccer, baseball and other sports for ESPN+ $1.5M a year saved.

So, that's an extra $6.5M a year you haven't factored in. On top of that I think it's likely we get an SNY deal covering football, coaches shows, some WBB content that we can sell, at around $1.5M a year. That's now $8M. I think the lost shared Bowl money probably washes with the increase in NCAA credits in the Big East. Since the AAC media money is about $2M more, we are still at a net gain of $6M a year.

That doesn't count additional football buy games.

Reaction Score
Dude, in the scheme of all things, UConn > Temple. And that's with Temple having a larger population to work with. Your competition is Penn State, Rutgers and Pitt. Good luck. We have a state to ourselves. And reach into major markets east AND west of the school.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Oh, its so not happening...I was just saying

Reaction Score

I already did the math. It looks promising for UConn, I have continued to update this as we get more information

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I know the departure fee is big, but if Mike Anthony is right about what he heard, this is the best news UConn Football has had since maybe even 2011! I'm psyched up, and I smell many undefeated seasons to come!

B12

Reaction Score
Maybe it is the teams that went 2-10 or 3-9 that should be granted extra practice time....

The teams with better records also further developing their talent does no favors for those who are lower on the totem pole.
Or all teams regardless of record should be allowed to play one post season game including all necessary practice. Makes no sense as you mentioned to let the best teams practice more than the worst.

This would actually be fun as schools would be able to come up with creative ways to play the extra game. I suspect many FCS programs would be willing (for $) to come to a p-5 home stadium for a post season exhibition game.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I already did the math. It looks promising for UConn, I have continued to update this as we get more information

Better than my sloppy version. I think you are low on ticket revenue. And you are almost certainly low on NCAA credits.

For 2017 This is with UConn in the AAC
Big East$22,253,192.00
American$5,135,352.00

We won't get the 2017 money obviously, but that's over $2M per team with 10 teams (and even with 11).

Reaction Score
Better than my sloppy version. I think you are low on ticket revenue. And you are almost certainly low on NCAA credits.

For 2017 This is with UConn in the AAC
Big East$22,253,192.00

American$5,135,352.00

We won't get the 2017 money obviously, but that's over $2M per team with 10 teams (and even with 11).

I am going with the $2 million cited by the AD in Jeff Jacob's article for now. For the credits, I am trying to give an unbiased view of things. Picking out 2017 is selecting to give results favorable to our outcome so I looked at multiple years where data was available.

However, in general when you cited examples such as the above plus other factors we can't quantify at this point in time I feel optimistic about the financial situation in the AD and now see a fuller picture why they made the move.

Reaction Score
After reading this thread, I am more at ease about UConn's football future if the media speculation comes to pass.
I want to see WHICH P5s are interested in Home & Homes vs. the Huskies & how future late October & November scheduling plays out. Is it possible that an SEC team schedules UConn in mid-November the week before its rivalry week as Alabama does yearly?
Will the level of competition necessitate putting in temporary bleachers as in the Michigan game to accommodate visiting fans?
There are a ton of cart before the horse questions to contemplate, but we need to wait & see what results Benedict & company can achieve.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom