175-0 The Rebuilding of the UConn Dynasty | The Boneyard

175-0 The Rebuilding of the UConn Dynasty

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
When will UConn loose????? Get through and win this tournament and we have a good chance of going undefeated the next 4 years if we stay healthy. We all know who we've got on our roster and whose comin in. For now we are the hottest team in WCBB. We have all the pieces to make it happen and we have a leader who makes everybody better, much like Diana did. However Paige has a better supporting cast then Diana did her last two seasons.

So here's what Im lookin at. We have really really good guards who are unselfish and more importantly they know how to play the game. They get everybody involved. We have ball handlers. We have great passing at every position. Our defense is suffocating. We are a really unbelievable team and we're getting better. So how many of the top teams dont have great guards? How many top teams have shot blockers? Our team chemistry has arrived along with continuity and cohesiveness. I dont agree with all the talk about this player has to do this and that player has to do that because not everybody is going to play at their top level all they time UConns ability to pass and keep every body involved is what makes them so special and theyve been doin that for the past 20+yrs. One thing we have that no other team has is Paige She is just too special. Diana imo is the greatest. Paige is right there with her and shes only a freshman.

I love to read articles and posts on why UConn wont win it all. Please theyve only lost one game and yeah this season there is no invincible team but UConn is headed that way. It was almost unbelievable how UConn held some pretty good teams under 40 pts. Hey this UConn team isnt the team that it was in January or even early February. This team in hungry and on a mission. They have come together and play as a unit. Geno has created a winning environment. He's got these kids believing in themselves and in the team If UConn doesnt loose this season it may be 4-5years. Right now though we are the team to beat. The swag that we had a few years ago is comin back. I have a feelin after a couple of NCAA tournament wins teams will begin to realize that this young UConn team is a well oiled wreaking machine. Our weaknesses are early foul trouble, injuries to key players and inexperienced youth Our positives are Geno has taught us to stay out of foul trouble, and with the depth on the bench we have fresh bodies to come in and give us a rest. Its hard to commit fouls when your resting on the bench. Yeah we're really really good and we've shown that over the last few games. Yeah we're gonna play alot of pressure games in a short period of time and we've got a really good bench and that will help. The only way I see UConn loosing is beating ourselves. I dont think if we play our game we can get beat by any team but we can play sloppy and revert back to bad habits and loose. We are witnessing one of Geno's greatest accomplishments in team building with this team. There have been many great UConn teams but this one is special because they are so young. The UConn Dynasty is on its way Back.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
I would agree with Tonyc that this permutation of the Huskies along with future classes has a great opportunity to put together some undefeated seasons and future National Championships. With Geno's retirement being the elephant in the room. We all know nothing last forever...and we have had a sustained good fortune coupled with some great fun times. A true blessing that Chris Daly has stood by Geno's side from day one. We have had the best Head Coach and Associate Head Coach in women's college basketball for a long time.

Now 175 and 0 is lofty, no doubt and it invites the basketball gods intervention but legends are created by going against all odds. UConn has set the bar for women's college basketball and if their winning ways were to end right now they would forever be enshrined in the record books...let's be real here...11 national championships, all those final games, final fours tournament appearances, all those conference and regular season championships...rafters full of banners and battalions of WNBA players who graduated from UConn are already enough to earn UConn a place in the discussion of all time best women's basketball program.

The irony however, and the fascinating truth behind Tonyc's post above is that UConn is not done yet...in fact, they are far from done. Geno and Chris are on tract to retire with at least 15 national championships and we know how hard it is to win a national championship. I believe that there will be some more undefeated seasons coming up... Whether or not UConn can string together 3 or 4 of them is up to powers beyond me and it is not lost on me of how hard it is on a team emotionally to go undefeated in the regular season and to carry it through the tournament season as well...but, like Tonyc I don't think it is out of the realm of possibility.

Of course, we have the difficult task of trying to win the next 6 games in a row with 8 freshmen on this year's team. If we are successful we return a team with 8 freshmen turned sophomores, led by arguably the best player in the country in Paige Bueckers, all of which have the possibility of experiencing the "sophomore jump". We will have three seniors in Christyn Williams, Evina Westbrook and Olivia Nelson-Odota who will provide experienced leadership. We will have a dynamic duo in Juniors Aubrey Griffin and Anne Mukurat who will be important contributors to the success of the team. And, we will have four freshmen (Amari DeBerry, Azzi Fudd, Saylor Poffenbarger and Caroline Ducharme) who are uniquely equipped to fit in with this current team. I think of our incoming freshmen in the following manner: A quality big who can play both face-up to the basket and with their back to the basket, one absolute sharp-shooting assassin and two combo guards who have size, accuracy range and can play multiple positions. And, it can be also noted that it is true that the rich get richer as UConn is expecting #3, 6'3" Isuneh Brady in 2022.

Technically at least for a time UConn will be the deepest it has ever been with:

Bigs: Olivia Nelson-Odota - 6'5"; Piath Gabriel - 6'5"; Amari DeBerry - 6'5"; Aaliyah Edwards - 6'3"; Isuneh Brady - 6'3"

Combo G/F - Mir MacLean - 5'11"; Evina Westbrook 6'0"; Aubrey Griffin - 6'1"; Anne Mukurat - 6'2"; Saylor Poffenbarger - 6'2"; Caroline Ducharme - 6'2"

Guards - Christyn Williams, Paige Bueckers, Nika Muhl, Azzi Fudd, Autumn Chaisson.

I concur with Tonyc that we are on the cusp of writing yet another chapter of the UConn Huskies Dynastic history. It is a great time to be a Husky fan as I don't think this type of dominance will ever again be experienced in Women's Basketball history. I think we are living with and participating in what may go down as women's college basketball's all time greatest coaching duo in Geno Auriemma and Chris Daly. We are truly blessed as fans...the basketball gods have been more than kind with us.

Last edited:

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
I would focus on just winning the next game.
I agree CTBballfan....however, there are plenty of other threads dedicated to that...this is simply an off-topic thread that allows for a little distraction while we wait for the brackets and the next game.

Reaction Score
When will UConn loose????? Get through and win this tournament and we have a good chance of going undefeated the next 4 years if we stay healthy. We all know who we've got on our roster and whose comin in. For now we are the hottest team in WCBB. We have all the pieces to make it happen and we have a leader who makes everybody better, much like Diana did. However Paige has a better supporting cast then Diana did her last two seasons.

So here's what Im lookin at. We have really really good guards who are unselfish and more importantly they know how to play the game. They get everybody involved. We have ball handlers. We have great passing at every position. Our defense is suffocating. We are a really unbelievable team and we're getting better. So how many of the top teams dont have great guards? How many top teams have shot blockers? Our team chemistry has arrived along with continuity and cohesiveness. I dont agree with all the talk about this player has to do this and that player has to do that because not everybody is going to play at their top level all they time UConns ability to pass and keep every body involved is what makes them so special and theyve been doin that for the past 20+yrs. One thing we have that no other team has is Paige She is just too special. Diana imo is the greatest. Paige is right there with her and shes only a freshman.

I love to read articles and posts on why UConn wont win it all. Please theyve only lost one game and yeah this season there is no invincible team but UConn is headed that way. It was almost unbelievable how UConn held some pretty good teams under 40 pts. Hey this UConn team isnt the team that it was in January or even early February. This team in hungry and on a mission. They have come together and play as a unit. Geno has created a winning environment. He's got these kids believing in themselves and in the team If UConn doesnt loose this season it may be 4-5years. Right now though we are the team to beat. The swag that we had a few years ago is comin back. I have a feelin after a couple of NCAA tournament wins teams will begin to realize that this young UConn team is a well oiled wreaking machine. Our weaknesses are early foul trouble, injuries to key players and inexperienced youth Our positives are Geno has taught us to stay out of foul trouble, and with the depth on the bench we have fresh bodies to come in and give us a rest. Its hard to commit fouls when your resting on the bench. Yeah we're really really good and we've shown that over the last few games. Yeah we're gonna play alot of pressure games in a short period of time and we've got a really good bench and that will help. The only way I see UConn loosing is beating ourselves. I dont think if we play our game we can get beat by any team but we can play sloppy and revert back to bad habits and loose. We are witnessing one of Geno's greatest accomplishments in team building with this team. There have been many great UConn teams but this one is special because they are so young. The UConn Dynasty is on its way Back.
The swag that we had a few years ago is comin back. I have a feelin after a couple of NCAA tournament wins teams will begin to realize that this young UConn team is a well oiled wreaking machine.
Bingo, Tony. That's exactly the difference between this group and the last couple of years. It hurt me to watch how apathetic we were recently, and it pleasures me no end to see the spirit and determination of this year's team. Before she arrived at Storrs, Paige's teams had won 60 straight games; she was not accustomed to losing. Undoubtedly, Slim is determined that losing won't happen again this year. I think that feeling has permeated this group; they're on a mission: Don't disappoint Tony! Let's freakin "wreak" 'em.

Reaction Score
we are on the cusp of writing yet another chapter of the UConn Huskies Dynastic history. It is a great time to be a Husky fan as I don't think this type of dominance will ever again be experienced in Women's Basketball history. I think we are living with and participating in what may go down as women's college basketball's all time greatest coaching duo in Geno Auriemma and Chris Daly. We are truly blessed as fans...the basketball gods have been more than kind with us.
+1
Winning titles aside, we may be about to become witnesses to an historic few years, and I say maybe only because I am superstitious.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I find it brazenly premature to start calling for undefeated seasons, not to mention how it only sets us up for disappointment if god forbid we lose a game or two here and there.

I guess this is what happens when a program experiences unthinkable astronomical success; the astronomical becomes the expected standard.

Right now I'm enjoying this team and its growth game to game, week to week, month to month. I dare say that's also what Geno and his staff are doing.

Reaction Score

I love this UCONN team, but hanged if I'm going gush like a teenage girl in the front row of a 1960s Beetle's concert---not until they are in the quarterfinals anyways, and then maybe I'll go out in the street and bark like a fox or something

Reaction Score
I like your thinking, Tony. However, a lot of things have to come together and work. It will depend upon the aggressiveness of the young folks, willingness to learn and execute, and how the maestro can orchestrate the components of his orchestra.

Reaction Score
I love this UCONN team, but hanged if I'm going gush like a teenage girl in the front row of a 1960s Beetle's concert---not until they are in the quarterfinals anyways, and then maybe I'll go out in the street and bark like a fox or something
The Beetles? Ouch, that made me feel old. That's like calling him Gino.

Reaction Score
Seriously, I thought that last year's coaching job with what we had, and didn't have in terms of depth, leading to our late season turnaround was stellar. The turnaround this year is extraordinary. The consecutive FF streak is to me the most " dynastic" trait to me and it is still alive. We have to remember that there is so much talent out there now in the women's game and it is not just concentrated in 2 or 3 teams. One game at a time. We just need to win six games in a row and all optimism aside, it is a tough road ahead that will take grit, desire, effort, staying in a groove and everyone playing with sharpened focus and a sense of urgency..

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom