OT: 17 ways to tell someone is from connecticut | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: 17 ways to tell someone is from connecticut

Status
Not open for further replies.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
Missed a few.
You either love the Yankees or hate the Sox.
You bought beer from bum on the green.
Oh yeah, I could have gone to Yale if I only studied or if my Dad had the money.
The girls in the next town were always hotter.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
#1 should be "they don't have an accent."

As for #16, I am firmly in the camp that believes that "real" beaches begin in Rhode Island. I go to the beach in CT because I live in a shore town and our kids love the beach, but I don't go swimming unless there are waves, which means not in CT.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Growing up in rural Southbury, we had about 8-10 spots in the woods that were rotated. We were basically like party at the moon tower in Dazed and Confused. I remember carrying a keg 1/2 a mile into the woods. Few people were dumb enough to have house parties because the house would get wrecked and have their stuff stolen.
I was in high school in CT from 75-79, every big keg party was just like the movie. Same music playing from Jensen speakers in the rear deck of cars. You could pull off smaller parties at home, but big ones had to be out in the woods.

Reaction Score
The part about Dunkin is true but no mention of the java. Most people I know go there for the coffee not the average tasting doughnuts.

And yes, Faifield county is a suburb of NYC. ;)

I have an old friend down in Atlanta who's husband drive 25 miles to get her dunkin for her bday.
Connecticut made a trade with NY: Fischer's Island for that little annex called Fairfield County. Before that Connecticut was almost square. Some say that it still is.

Reaction Score
That got me laughing because we did that. A lot.
Likewise. One time the cops busted us up, we fled into the woods and they took our booze.

Reaction Score
I never thought Connecticut people had accents. A friend from Jersey told me to say these 2 words:
Mary and Merry.
Most Connecticut people pronounce them the same similar to Southerners with "all" and "oil".

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
I never thought Connecticut people had accents. A friend from Jersey told me to say these 2 words:
Mary and Merry.
Most Connecticut people pronounce them the same similar to Southerners with "all" and "oil".
i've been to several other states but i went to washington state and north carolina, and was told i have a strong accent... really surprised me

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
Living on the Cape after living in CT for 21 years this list is missing one attribute of a Nutmegger/Husky they drive in the fast lane at 50 mph and regularly use the far right lane to pass.
What about people who 'merge' onto the highway by just coming into your lane so you need to slam on the breaks to avoid running into them? That's a Connecticut thing.

Reaction Score
I guess the best explanation I can muster is that the location of the party on any given night was almost always the last thing to be worked out, and oftentimes it didn't work out at all. So...the woods were often the default, and we knew the woods in most areas better than anyone who might want to find us. And we had forts in many of them too, some of which were pretty elaborate.

One of the more brazen examples that comes to mind was the day of the CROP hunger walk. We had the day off from school if we were participating in the hunger walk, so of course we all signed up. And we walked until we were far enough from others not to be seen. And then we disappeared into the woods, through backyards, etc. until we could get to a car we had stashed nearby. And then we drove to where the rest of us had left our cars, including one with a quarter keg we had obtained for the occasion. We then drove to a predetermined state forest where we knew we could enter without detection, hiked a mile or so into the woods and had an epic session from which many legendary stories were born.

Or this could happen (ignore the crappy visual and just listen, it's probably better that way).

Reaction Score
Or this could happen (ignore the crappy visual and just listen, it's probably better that way).

I'll go the other way and not listen, but play Danganronpa.

Reaction Score
Another way would be that you talk about how beautiful your city/town was back in the day. "I can't believe what's happened over the years"

Reaction Score
The historical field trip part is so true (#13) and I think I went to them all, at least twice.

As for driving (#4), I have lived in Mass, NJ, and CT. Connecticut is known for speed traps. For native Massholes, traffic laws are only for the little people who are not from the Hub of the universe (some one actually said to me while he drove through 4 red lights in a row down Boylston St one night). Folks from NJ drive fast because everyone knows if you don't get to you objective by a certain time, especially if you have to cross the Hudson, you are never getting there.

Reaction Score
The "high school parties in the woods" really got me laughing, something I always heard my CT friends talk about but never really understood

Been to a few myself and my parents met at one or so I am told. That said, there are no 'woods' in CT. I spent time in the Adirondacks ad we used to get a few ATV's, several tents, a few kegs, some bear and black fly repellant, and a chainsaw to chop up some wood for a fire and then haul all of it 10 miles up a dirt ATV/snowmobile trail to camp on a lake that only loons lived on. Those are woods.

Reaction Score
I guess the best explanation I can muster is that the location of the party on any given night was almost always the last thing to be worked out, and oftentimes it didn't work out at all. So...the woods were often the default, and we knew the woods in most areas better than anyone who might want to find us. And we had forts in many of them too, some of which were pretty elaborate.

One of the more brazen examples that comes to mind was the day of the CROP hunger walk. We had the day off from school if we were participating in the hunger walk, so of course we all signed up. And we walked until we were far enough from others not to be seen. And then we disappeared into the woods, through backyards, etc. until we could get to a car we had stashed nearby. And then we drove to where the rest of us had left our cars, including one with a quarter keg we had obtained for the occasion. We then drove to a predetermined state forest where we knew we could enter without detection, hiked a mile or so into the woods and had an epic session from which many legendary stories were born.

Back in the day, my high school's senior class had a senior day at Holiday Hill in Prospect, which is in the woods. The kids would always stash beer down by the pond the day before. My Junior year, we stole all of the Senior class's beer. That did NOT go over well.

Reaction Score
Ain't that the truth.

One of my more memorable examples of this was when our krewe was attending a party somewhere in Wilton or Ridgefield--one of those word of mouth parties where we were "invited" by someone who knew someone who knew the girl whose parents weren't home, and everyone essentially crashed it. We showed up with a keg, which we were wont to do, and the party quickly got out of hand. Someone called the cops--may even have been the host--and we were all told to get out asap. On my way out, I remember seeing one of my classmates standing in a very nice room in the house that was decorated wall to wall with framed photos and other collectibles. He spotted a huge jar of pennies in the room, grabbed a couple handfuls at threw them at the walls, shattering most of the glass in the frames. And then he ran out laughing maniacally.

Yikes. My Junior year, there was this kid who really wanted to be popular and was willing to do anything to be so. So, when his parents went away for a weekend, everyone (pre-internet) heard that there was going to be a party at his house. I did not go because I had a bad feeling about it. Drove by his house the next morning and saw his kitchen sink sitting on the front lawn after being thrown out the large bay window in the living room. And people wonder why I never had a house party.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom