#16 UConn vs Alaska Anchorage Seawolves (Thursday 2/23/23 @7:05p @ Toscano Ice Forum - Student Only Game) Game on ESPN+ | Page 4 | The Boneyard

#16 UConn vs Alaska Anchorage Seawolves (Thursday 2/23/23 @7:05p @ Toscano Ice Forum - Student Only Game) Game on ESPN+

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The problem is UConn is playing with 5 fourth liners. The forward depth is not good.

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
whew…still not a good one overall. Happy for the students though…they got to see a fun one.

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
A happy hockey recap!

E89A28CF-B8D0-4E5F-B238-22BEC2DC3FA9.jpeg

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
Well, Alaska Anchorage is my new favorite non UConn hockey team. How can you not root for A) a team from Alaska and B) a team with a goalie named Whale? I hope he’s only a freshman.

Reaction Score
Not a that great of a performance but the students got to see an entertaining game. Hopefully the program found some new fans.

A lot of areas need to be addressed for this team to be considered a legit contender for the NCAA tournament next season.

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
Not a that great of a performance but the students got to see an entertaining game. Hopefully the program found some new fans.

A lot of areas need to be addressed for this team to be considered a legit contender for the NCAA tournament next season.
Take this with a grain of salt, because I always appreciate your insight. (Mostly because you are correct)..know I’m just kidding and a few beers in. And we are all guilty of it…so this goes out to everyone.

E5B2A303-066E-4EA4-90AE-BB03B0EC298D.jpeg

Reaction Score
Gotta feel for Alaska, fourth straight 4-3 OT loss. What are the odds of that like 0.01%?

They’re pairwise sucks but it seems they have a couple good wins and a lot of heartbreaking losses.

Reaction Score
They should bump it to two a year and hope that translates to more students going to XL games as well as interest increases

Reaction Score
You might not see it, but Cav just called out the season ticket fans. Be louder and more engaged. Sit in your seats. Watch the game. He’s right.

From what it appeared on ESPN+ in overtime half the student body had already left the game and I was viewing many empty seats in the 3 v 3 session. While there's no doubt Season ticket holders fanbase does need to step up at Tuscano, they would not have abandoned the team at that pivotal time either. So chalk this one up as a novelty - one that should continue once a season sure, but let's not over glorify the vibe or experience last night.

Speaking of 3 v 3 - I'm not a fan of it, but UConn has performed very well with this format this season. It's too bad that that style just doesn't translate into the 5 v 5 play that defines the game.

Reaction Score

Alternate access link <<

-> So the Huskies’ third game in the new arena was designated a student-only affair. Once the free tickets were made available online, they were all claimed in 12 hours and there were not many empty seats. Except for a few big wigs, parents and 46 NHL scouts who came to eyeball UConn’s 18-year-old freshman phenom Matthew Wood, it was all students who walked across campus. Rarely is it so easy to find a parking space outside a sold-out arena. <-

-> The team surrounded Schandor at the glass behind the net, as the students behind and above them joined the long celebration, long enough for the entire recording of Brass Bonanza, yes, even the rarely heard bridge, to blare on.

“Listen, I would have liked to have won that in regulation,” Cavanaugh said. “But if you’re not going to win in regulation on a student-only night, to win in overtime it’s awesome.” <-

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
I'm guessing the 46 NHL scouts had to do with the fact this was the only D-1 NCAA hockey game played last night, but impressive none the less.

Reaction Score

Need Dmen next year and a center or two that can win faceoffs. Goalie situation will be a strength and Pearson is the only forward graduating. Tverberg will probably leave but we will see. Need bigger Dmen that move people down low, far too often we get hurt in our own end. Better breakouts through the neutral zone and better passing out of our zone wouldn't hurt either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom