OT: - 16 elite universities named in price-fixing lawsuit | The Boneyard

OT: 16 elite universities named in price-fixing lawsuit

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
"16 Ivy League and elite universities are facing a federal lawsuit alleging they illegally conspired to eliminate competitive financial aid in a price fixing scheme. The suit alleges the universities artificially inflated the cost of attendance for all students receiving aid. The suit goes on to say the result of the scheme was more than 170,000 students being overcharged by millions of dollars. Five former students from Vanderbilt, Duke, and Northwestern filed the suit in an Illinois federal court. Among those named in the filing are Brown, Columbia, Yale, MIT, Notre Dame, Georgetown, and University of Pennsylvania."

Reaction Score
"16 Ivy League and elite universities are facing a federal lawsuit alleging they illegally conspired to eliminate competitive financial aid in a price fixing scheme. The suit alleges the universities artificially inflated the cost of attendance for all students receiving aid. The suit goes on to say the result of the scheme was more than 170,000 students being overcharged by millions of dollars. Five former students from Vanderbilt, Duke, and Northwestern filed the suit in an Illinois federal court. Among those named in the filing are Brown, Columbia, Yale, MIT, Notre Dame, Georgetown, and University of Pennsylvania."
I don't even know where to start with this one. Price fixing and inflated costs aren't new, although the alleged motive here might be. College has its benefits and in my opinion the cost determination has always been a factor of actual costs PLUS additional costs to exclude who can actually obtain those benefits and get that degree. For so long...the degree was the ticket and justification (legally if need be) to the high paying job (wealth and power) and not how smart you were. In certain tech fields...certifications are a threat to this scheme.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
My son applied to both MIT and WPI. He ended up at WPI but I was hoping for MIT because it was less expensive. He graduated in 2019. Now, room, board, tuition, fees blah blah blah - 76k per year

Ah, MIT pulls ahead in the college costs race, now up to 77k. Cost of attendance | MIT Student Financial Services

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom