14th member? | The Boneyard

14th member?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Brian Murphy of the Idaho Statesmen (probably the most connected Big East beat writer at this point, ironically) thinks that Air Force is not going to join, and most reports are that BYU is probably not joining the Big East either.

Putting aside the reality of getting rejected by mid-majors, who does the Big East add? Fresno? Nevada?

Reaction Score
I'd prefer ECU or So Miss than some of the far west outposts available.

Reaction Score
[quote="nelsonmuntz, post: 392207, member: 833"

Putting aside the reality of getting rejected by mid-majors[/quote]

What a drama queen. The principal missions of the football programs at the Service Academies and BYU are not to generate maximum revenue, as the principal mission has generally become at most schools. To read anything into being turned down by AFA and BYU other than that joining the Big East is not what either school wants to do is beyond a reach.

Reaction Score
Take another 2 from the MWC: Fresno and the better of UNLV or Nevada. Then take Tulsa. 16 FB schools.

After that, turn this pig into an all sports bonanza and grab two more BB onlies (replace ND and cover navy).... Maybe Gonzaga and Butler...

East:
uconn/pc/temple/g'town/usf/ucf/st johns/nova/cincy/uofl/hall/rutgers/navy (FB only)

West:
SDSU/Boise/unlv or nevada/houston/smu/tulsa/fresno/gonzaga/butler/marquette/depaul/memphis

24 teams, 2 divisions, the best BB conference...
Imagine the BE tourney... 7 teams alone in the east are NCAA regulars. Throw in another 5 from the west... That's 12 teams or half the conference making the tourney...

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
u have to pressure and byu into having nothing else. if u take 1 more west school it further dilutes the mwc/wac and leaves with less and less games that matter at all to the point where joining navy makes sense. then u pitch byu but i think byu has pac/b12 dreams and knows it can go if certain things are worked out.

unr
fresno
tulsa
unlv
3rd texas school(utep/nt/utsa...)

would be the short list i think with several others getting a look

Reaction Score
I don't really think we want Air Force. Personally, I'm skeptical about Navy, and I think Air Force simply compounds the problem. Beyond that, they don't really have the tradition of either Army or Navy. Sort of the 3rd man in a 2 man race.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Two thoughts:

1) I am completely in favor of a 16 team league, even if you have to make the last two members junior members because they aren't worth $8MM each for football or whatever the football league will generate. I think 4 pods is much better than 2 divisions:

NorthEast: UConn, Rutgers, Navy, Temple
South: UCF, USF, Louisville, Cincinnati
Southwest: SMU, Houston, Memphis, New Mexico*
West: Boise, SDSU, Fresno*, Nevada*

The Big East basketball would be a 17 team conference, but then you take New Mexico, Fresno, Nevada, Boise, and SDSU, add St. Mary's, Gonzaga and Long Beach State, and form a basketball/olympic sports league that would be affiliated and have cross scheduling. It would be a pretty good basketball league, and would drive a stake through the MWC and WCC, which could shake BYU loose. Long term, New Mexico will be better than Tulsa. It is the main state school for a decent sized state and is in a reasonably sized metro area.

Realistically, that won't happen, the Big East will have two divisions, and SDSU's basketball program will die when Fisher retires.

2) I think the service academies present challenges as conference affiliates. There is a ceiling which they will never pass.

Reaction Score
Two thoughts:

1) 2) I think the service academies present challenges as conference affiliates. There is a ceiling which they will never pass.
Much more politically correct analysis of the Service Academy situation, and one with which I completely agree.

Reaction Score
Las Vegas never proved to do well in pro sports so far. Would have to check on their triple A baseball team. But UNR and Fresno State might be reasonable options. New Mexico is not a bad idea, either, from a market perspective.

Reaction Score
Take another 2 from the MWC: Fresno and the better of UNLV or Nevada. Then take Tulsa. 16 FB schools.

After that, turn this pig into an all sports bonanza and grab two more BB onlies (replace ND and cover navy).... Maybe Gonzaga and Butler...

East:
uconn/pc/temple/g'town/usf/ucf/st johns/nova/cincy/uofl/hall/rutgers/navy (FB only)

West:
SDSU/Boise/unlv or nevada/houston/smu/tulsa/fresno/gonzaga/butler/marquette/depaul/memphis

24 teams, 2 divisions, the best BB conference...
Imagine the BE tourney... 7 teams alone in the east are NCAA regulars. Throw in another 5 from the west... That's 12 teams or half the conference making the tourney...

Did you die and become HFD?

RMoore1999

Illegitimi Non Carborundum!
Reaction Score
Two thoughts:

1) I am completely in favor of a 16 team league, even if you have to make the last two members junior members because they aren't worth $8MM each for football or whatever the football league will generate. I think 4 pods is much better than 2 divisions:

NorthEast: UConn, Rutgers, Navy, Temple
South: UCF, USF, Louisville, Cincinnati
Southwest: SMU, Houston, Memphis, New Mexico*
West: Boise, SDSU, Fresno*, Nevada*

The Big East basketball would be a 17 team conference, but then you take New Mexico, Fresno, Nevada, Boise, and SDSU, add St. Mary's, Gonzaga and Long Beach State, and form a basketball/olympic sports league that would be affiliated and have cross scheduling. It would be a pretty good basketball league, and would drive a stake through the MWC and WCC, which could shake BYU loose. Long term, New Mexico will be better than Tulsa. It is the main state school for a decent sized state and is in a reasonably sized metro area.

Realistically, that won't happen, the Big East will have two divisions, and SDSU's basketball program will die when Fisher retires.

2) I think the service academies present challenges as conference affiliates. There is a ceiling which they will never pass.

Of course that won't happen.

I think you guys should target Utah St (a few plays from being undefeated this year) and Southern Miss (great potential rival for Memphis) to replace Rutgers (B1G) and Connecticut (acc) when Maryland joins the B1G.

As NBE promoters, instead of worrying about attracting Gonzaga for hoops, you'll need to figure out how to keep Boise for your football conference.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
HFD would include Wofford, Elon and Liberty in realignment scenarios.

i think a while back u guys thought i was nuts with this stuff. now most here have come to grips that while these schools suck, its whats best for uconns future to have some of them join the nbe. we went from me posting about unlv and unr to 75% of thise board wanting unr as a nbe member now. maybe at some point ppl will step back a sec and instead of ripping everything i post, just think about when hes posting it no matter how crazy, stupid or not favorable to your opinion it seems.

acc will never blow up..
schools in nevada play fball?
smiss, ecu others we are so far above blah blha
fanbase size is important

and so on...

Reaction Score
i think a while back u guys thought i was nuts with this stuff. now most here have come to grips that while these schools suck, its whats best for uconns future to have some of them join the nbe. we went from me posting about unlv and unr to 75% of thise board wanting unr as a nbe member now. maybe at some point ppl will step back a sec and instead of ripping everything i post, just think about when hes posting it no matter how crazy, stupid or not favorable to your opinion it seems.

acc will never blow up..
schools in nevada play fball?
smiss, ecu others we are so far above blah blha
fanbase size is important

and so on...
Don't lump me in with the crowd. I never said anything against Nevada. But North Texas? Seriously? ULM? ULL? Pass the damn pipe.

Reaction Score
If you hadn't heard North Texas has started an $80 million investment in their sports facilities. Not to mention Denton, TX(Where North Texas is located) puts out major D1 talent every yr, including last yrs #1 defensive player Mario Edwards. In a couple yrs North Texas will be big.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
If you hadn't heard North Texas has started an $80 million investment in their sports facilities. Not to mention Denton, TX(Where North Texas is located) puts out major D1 talent every yr, including last yrs #1 defensive player Mario Edwards. In a couple yrs North Texas will be big.

And SMU and Houston will be great too because of joining the NBE, right? I'm sorry....I know Texas is football crazed but there is only so much to go around and I can't see North Texas or UH or SMU getting big anytime soon. It's Texas or Texas AM. That's it. The other Big12 Texas schools will pull their fans but no one is buying North Texas

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
Believe what you want but they are beating out AQ schools for players(Tenn, Iowa, Zona, Ole Miss, Louisville,Vandy and K-State)so it's only a matter of time. Plus their coaching staff is pretty good and if it wasn't for that horrible hire of Todd Dodge they'd be in alot better position then they are right now.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Don't lump me in with the crowd. I never said anything against Nevada. But North Texas? Seriously? ULM? ULL? Pass the damn pipe.

down the road a couple years, some these teams will be in the NBE/CUSA conf of like 20 thats behind the big 4 or 5.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
and just to be a dick right now, wofford where ever that school is from is tied in the 4th quarter with a top 10 team right now.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
and just to be a dick right now, wofford where ever that school is from is tied in the 4th quarter with a top 10 team right now.
And so it begins...

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
And so it begins...

lol now that they got blown out i think we should invite them. clearly they are well coached and good enough but just lack NNNNNNNBE depth compared to the d3 confrence they are from. a couple years of NNNNNNNBE recruits will get them that depth and they will easily be a top 10 team. potential thru the roof.

Reaction Score
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wofford_College

They are in South Carolina. Was thinking they are in Georgia. They are the 64th ranked liberal arts and sciences college in the US. They are going to the B1G.

As for North Texas, I know where they are and know they are going to C-USA. Going above C-USA? We'll find out. If conference alignments are driven by markets, UTSA probably has more hope. ULL and ULM are not going to go higher than C-USA, if they ever get there. ODU was invited straight from D1-AA to C-USA in football. I wonder why.

Reaction Score
Believe what you want but they are beating out AQ schools for players(Tenn, Iowa, Zona, Ole Miss, Louisville,Vandy and K-State)so it's only a matter of time.
Can you please share proof? I went over the last 5 years and the biggest school they beat out is Houston for 1 recruit.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
The Big South

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01