$ 14 MILLION? | The Boneyard

$ 14 MILLION?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Te Daily News' Dick Weiss is speculating that the soon to be negotioted television contract will be $ 14 Million by NBC.http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/c...ne-games-national-tv-article-1.1127668?pgno=1

If that was true - that would be an amazing deal from the Big East.

The money is way more than we could have reasonably expected.
NBC Saturday Football would lessen the blow of no ESPN coverage.

However, I will remain extremely skeptical and pessimistic until the deal is signed, sealed and delivered.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
There are 16 basketball schools? Aren't there 19 i honesty would need think about it but 11 all sport football members and 8 basketball only?

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
There are 16 basketball schools? Aren't there 19 i honesty would need think about it but 11 all sport football members and 8 basketball only?

I came up with the same number you did, once you consider Navy (19 basketball teams total, 11 all sports). Since the article references a per team quote and not a grand total number, I'm guessing that the error in team count didn't affect the payout number (or at least the estimate of the payout number by a third party).

Side note, Whaler: yet another speculating article that mentions bracketing around ND football (I couldn't pass up the opportunity! I won't do it again.)

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I was going to say something about this earlier. Does NBCSports Network have a deal with another conference currently? I know that the MWC had a deal with Versus but wasn't sure if that carried over....I ask because if anyone has been watching the Olympics they keep showing a commercial for upcoming events on NBCSN and among the things listed is Live College Football games. Now I don't know what that might be but a big light bulb went off with me thinking that they might be preempting the thought of Big East football coverage. I could be totally speculating with that thought or maybe they are talking about the MWC, but if there's ever a time for them to pump their network, it's during the Olympics. If I were them and planning on landing the BE, I'd wanna use this time to carry over the viewership gained from the Olympics and let them know that their station exists and what's going to be on it. Just a thought.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I came up with the same number you did, once you consider Navy (19 basketball teams total, 11 all sports). Since the article references a per team quote and not a grand total number, I'm guessing that the error in team count didn't affect the payout number (or at least the estimate of the payout number by a third party).

Side note, Whaler: yet another speculating article that mentions bracketing around ND football (I couldn't pass up the opportunity! I won't do it again.)

I'm all for it. Makes NBC a lot more attractive in my mind. Although it seemed to imply some ND on NBCS? Nobody knows anything, this is just people talking out their rear ends.
'one of the ideas may be'. One of their ideas may be to play a game at the north pole. One of their ideas may be playing Rutgers and Temple on the AC Expressway.

I think NBC floated Versus to ND at one point and they went berserk.

$4 million for the basketball schools sounds like a huge number. That's almost $80 million a year.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
I'm all for it. Makes NBC a lot more attractive in my mind. Although it seemed to imply some ND on NBCS? Nobody knows anything, this is just people talking out their rear ends.
'one of the ideas may be'. One of their ideas may be to play a game at the north pole. One of their ideas may be playing Rutgers and Temple on the AC Expressway.

I think NBC floated Versus to ND at one point and they went berserk.

$4 million for the basketball schools sounds like a huge number. That's almost $80 million a year.

Two things:

1) If they were able to talk ND into putting one of their games on NBCSports, I would be shocked. Why would ND go for that, when they have enjoyed being exclusively on NBC for so long (and NBC needs that for advertising dollars anyways)?

2) I know that you are speaking in hyperbole, but there is a reason that they don't talk about games played at the north pole or Rutgers / Temple on the AC Expressway; it's because they don't make any sense whatsoever. The bracketing of the ND game with other football games to increase your advertising dollars, however, does make sense. That's why people are talking about it.

I agree with you that the main channel is really what makes the NBC contract very attractive. If it was the same money as ESPN might offer during their exclusivity period, but only with games on NBCSports, it's a tough sell. Even with ESPN being the bastards that they have been for the past year or so, it's all about exposure and opportunities to grow our name and our conference.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Two things:

1) If they were able to talk ND into putting one of their games on NBCSports, I would be shocked. Why would ND go for that, when they have enjoyed being exclusively on NBC for so long (and NBC needs that for advertising dollars anyways)?

2) I know that you are speaking in hyperbole, but there is a reason that they don't talk about games played at the north pole or Rutgers / Temple on the AC Expressway; it's because they don't make any sense whatsoever. The bracketing of the ND game with other football games to increase your advertising dollars, however, does make sense. That's why people are talking about it.

I agree with you that the main channel is really what makes the NBC contract very attractive. If it was the same money as ESPN might offer during their exclusivity period, but only with games on NBCSports, it's a tough sell. Even with ESPN being the bastards that they have been for the past year or so, it's all about exposure and opportunities to grow our name and our conference.

I don't think ND would allow them to move games either.

I don't know if it makes sense or not to the affiliates which is who they would need to sell it to. There is no way the affiliates would allow them to go 12-10. There would have to be time after ND for the locals.

So yes, it's within the realm of possibility they could put the Big East on NBC over the air. I just don't think people speculating about it matters. Many more things happen that aren't speculate on than are - which is especially true for college sports.

The article even says 'may be a thought'. Not exactly the kind of wording that makes you think it's sourced in any way - it's just a WAG.

If it really ended up being 14 million you'd have to take a long look. Who knows what ESPN offers but to me NBC has to offer a lot more, because being ignored and lambasted on ESPN will hurt.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
I don't think ND would allow them to move games either.

I don't know if it makes sense or not to the affiliates which is who they would need to sell it to. There is no way the affiliates would allow them to go 12-10. There would have to be time after ND for the locals.

So yes, it's within the realm of possibility they could put the Big East on NBC over the air. I just don't think people speculating about it matters. Many more things happen that aren't speculate on than are - which is especially true for college sports.

The article even says 'may be a thought'. Not exactly the kind of wording that makes you think it's sourced in any way - it's just a WAG.

If it really ended up being 14 million you'd have to take a long look. Who knows what ESPN offers but to me NBC has to offer a lot more, because being ignored and lambasted on ESPN will hurt.

Yeah, but how would you feel if it turned out that NBC offered a contract that was either equal to or only slightly more than the ESPN contract, but UConn was guaranteed 2 Saturday games on national tv per year (either before or after ND). I think that is the more interesting debate. In that instance, I think I take NBC...

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
If uconn did get 14mil out of a tv deal the funny thing is thats not far off from acc schools. But then factor in our great tier 3 stuff. Compared to schools like cuse or bc we may be even or make more. That would be great and also show how strong we are without them. All big boy confs grew over time and there were always big publics that became the big name. Texas. Michigan. Psu. Florida etc. its the nbe turn and uconn can be that school.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
If uconn did get 14mil out of a tv deal the funny thing is thats not far off from acc schools. But then factor in our great tier 3 stuff. Compared to schools like cuse or bc we may be even or make more. That would be great and also show how strong we are without them. All big boy confs grew over time and there were always big publics that became the big name. Texas. Michigan. Psu. Florida etc. its the nbe turn and uconn can be that school.

From your lips to Lazarus' ears!

MarkLazarus16.jpg

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Yeah, but how would you feel if it turned out that NBC offered a contract that was either equal to or only slightly more than the ESPN contract, but UConn was guaranteed 2 Saturday games on national tv per year (either before or after ND). I think that is the more interesting debate. In that instance, I think I take NBC...

I don't know. If the money is the same I probably don't take it. I don't go to NBC unless they pay a premium. Don't see why they would guarantee national games to schools. They are going to pick the best matchups 2 weeks out like everyone else.

Of course this is NBC they would probably cut away from #14 UConn and #6 Boise St in quadruple overtime for a turf sprint at the breeder's cup, so really anything is in play I guess.

pj

Reaction Score
I don't know. If the money is the same I probably don't take it. I don't go to NBC unless they pay a premium.

I go with NBC every time. The Big East is their flagship property. At ESPN it would be property #6. You're just going to be featured more and have better publicity with NBC.

Reaction Score
I go with NBC every time. The Big East is their flagship property. At ESPN it would be property #6. You're just going to be featured more and have better publicity with NBC.

+1

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

And you'll be ignored by the entity that drives the national conversation. Also, it's a huge giant immense step back on the basketball side.

ESPN drives the conversation nationally. Think it bothers you now? Wait until they are bashing Big East basketball as well.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
And you'll be ignored by the entity that drives the national conversation. Also, it's a huge giant immense step back on the basketball side.

ESPN drives the conversation nationally. Think it bothers you now? Wait until they are bashing Big East basketball as well.

I don't know. CBS seems to do alright by that league they have.....what are they called again? Oh yeah, the SEC. (yes, yes, I know that ESPN gets the games CBS doesn't want!). The point is that we would have a partner that would talk us UP, not down (unlike our current partner or current and past commissioners). Saturday primetime exposure on a basic tv channel is huge, no matter how you slice it.

And don't worry so much about the basketball. Big East basketball is WAYYYY too attractive to be left in the cold. Teams like UConn, Ville, Nova, GTown, Memphis, Temple, Cincy, Marquette, ND, and hell, even the Johnies (Lavin will have them back soon). We'll be fine, no matter what. Look at it this way; even our "scrub" teams in the league have famous coaches!! (Larry Brown at SMU, Stan Heath at USF, etc.) That is the one part of the Big East equation that I DON'T lose sleep over...

Reaction Score

Agreed. And hopefully all the Olympic guys will be fired by then.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
ESPN drives the conversation nationally. .

That's about to change. NBC is a juggernaut in the making. Might as well ride that wave.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I don't see NBC paying that kind of money without a GOR.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I don't see NBC paying that kind of money without a GOR.

For $14M - I say we sign that GOR for 10 years. I don't see expansion happening anytime soon, except for possibly the Big12. Which in that case it would either be Louisville and potentially Cincy, Rutgers, Houston, etc. so I would rather have those schools locked up in the meantime.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
For $14M - I say we sign that GOR for 10 years. I don't see expansion happening anytime soon, except for possibly the Big12. Which in that case it would either be Louisville and potentially Cincy, Rutgers, Houston, etc. so I would rather have those schools locked up in the meantime.

Combining a bunch of responses:

A. Its a huge gamble that NBCS is relevant. NBC is a horribly run network from top to bottom. Maybe they will slay an absolute giant by slinging rocks at it, but let's not pretend there is no risk.

B. The SEC and ESPN deal is hardly the CBS scraps. It's huge money and ESPN has a vested interest in the league.

C. I'd completely lose it if UConn signed a GOR. I can't see any way that Louisville or Rutgers would sign anyway. If 14 million from NBC requires a GOR forget it.

D. If you can't see a negative impact on BE basketball I guess I can't help. The average casual fan watches what's on ESPN and thinks what the Wilbon's and Mike and Mike's tell them to think. The impact to recruiting would be almost immediate. Kids want to be on ESPN and have their highlights on Sportscenter. The NHL knows full well what happens when they decide to
ignore you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak