Who will win this game?

• Wright St

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I wasn't able to catch this game, but from reading the thread it seems Arkansas didn't win over any fans today, and even the fellow SEC fans, to their credit, seem to have deserted their cause. The refs, it seems, acceded to Mike Neighbors' request for home cooking since he knew that they're only any good when at home. And despite Dungee being handed a ridiculous 18 free throws, it still wasn't enough.

Congrats to Wright State! I see you Horizon!

Reaction Score
I wasn't able to catch this game, but from reading the thread it seems Arkansas didn't win over any fans today, and even the fellow SEC fans, to their credit, seem to have deserted their cause. The refs, it seems, acceded to Mike Neighbors' request for home cooking since he knew that they're only any good when at home. And despite handing Dungee a ridiculous 18 free throws, it still wasn't enough.

Dungee's always running her mouth. Boasted about having to guard her 40 mins a game and then they got bounced in the first round of the SEC tournament and the NCAA. Will miss her about as much as we miss Sophie Cunningham. Not gonna lie I enjoyed watching them beat UConn but knew they'd come back down to earth real soon.

SimpleDawg

Dan Mullen, Dak Prescott, and Vic Schaefer fan
Reaction Score
I'm just not a Mike Neighbors fan, honestly.

He had that awesome run with Kelsey Plum in the Final 4 and that was great, but after that it's just been kinda downhill. He's always had some individual players and seems like he can recruit (Dungee, Slocum, Wolfenbarger), but his overall his team doesn't play to the level they should given the star power on their team(s).

I don't know if his players are coming back, but if not I can see Arkansas going back to a below .500 team. They'll have Jersey Wolfenbarger and they could end up being perceived as a team SEC fans will watch for one player, similar to Sophie Cunningham/Missouri era.

Still a Top 5 SEC coach though, but he's never gonna be elite imo.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
He had that awesome run with Kelsey Plum in the Final 4 and that was great, but after that it's just been kinda downhill.
The next year was good. Tied for 2nd in the Pac 12, 29 wins, Sweet 16. Had no answer for McCowan and got knocked out of the Tourney by Mississippi St. But yeah, as good as Dungee is she isn't Plum and he hasn't been able to recapture that magic at Arkansas.

Reaction Score
I wasn't able to catch this game, but from reading the thread it seems Arkansas didn't win over any fans today, and even the fellow SEC fans, to their credit, seem to have deserted their cause. The refs, it seems, acceded to Mike Neighbors' request for home cooking since he knew that they're only any good when at home. And despite Dungee being handed a ridiculous 18 free throws, it still wasn't enough.

I normally roll my eyes when a team loses and the fans blame the refs. If Wright State had lost, their fans had every right to blame the refs and I wouldn’t have been rolling my eyes.

Reaction Score

Yeah, this is a pretty ridiculous comment. Arkansas lost because Slocum and Ramirez shot 18% from the floor. Some credit to WSU, obviously, but Arkansas missed open shot after open shot. Dungee only shot 33%, and that was due to two 4Q 3's that she hit. They win going away if only one, or maybe even two, of their shooters had an off day. All three of them did. It was just a really bad offensive performance from the Hogs. And they probably would have won if their PF didn't dribble the ball off her foot after a steal (instead of giving the ball to a guard).

Did Neighbors pee in your Cheerios or something?

But absolutely, congrats to Wright State! Wins like this are what make the tournament so exciting.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Neighbors cries a lot to the refs...one of the reasons I'm not a fan
I honestly don't remember him working the refs much when he was at UW. Maybe I just didn't notice it, or maybe he's changed his approach.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I'm just not a Mike Neighbors fan, honestly.

He had that awesome run with Kelsey Plum in the Final 4 and that was great, but after that it's just been kinda downhill. He's always had some individual players and seems like he can recruit (Dungee, Slocum, Wolfenbarger), but his overall his team doesn't play to the level they should given the star power on their team(s).

I don't know if his players are coming back, but if not I can see Arkansas going back to a below .500 team. They'll have Jersey Wolfenbarger and they could end up being perceived as a team SEC fans will watch for one player, similar to Sophie Cunningham/Missouri era.

Still a Top 5 SEC coach though, but he's never gonna be elite imo.

Agreed. He reminds me of Walz with how much he complains to the refs and how aggressive and demonstrative he can be. Not a fan of that. The fact that Arkansas can beat UCONN and Baylor while lose to Wright State and Ole Miss tells me they have talent but lack giving consistent effort which is usually a sign of poor coaching. For example, we saw similar patterns with Holly.

Neighbors seems like a decent enough guy but he gets more credit and recognition than I think he deserves. He's a good recruiter but his program badly underperformed this year in the SEC (6th), SEC Tournament(didn't make quarterfinals) , and NCAAs (out first round). They absolutely should have achieved a lot more with the players they have.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I honestly don't remember him working the refs much when he was at UW. Maybe I just didn't notice it, or maybe he's changed his approach.

I've noticed it far more in recent years

Reaction Score
Arkansas is not the same team on the road as they are at home.The sight lines are different the lighting and background.Slocum was 0 for 4 from three and Ramirez was 2 for 9 from three.

Reaction Score
Arkansas is not the same team on the road as they are at home.The sight lines are different the lighting and background.Slocum was 0 for 4 from three and Ramirez was 2 for 9 from three.
The sad thing is they earned a home court first two rounds in a normal year.

Reaction Score
So did a lot of other teams. No greater tragedy for Arkansas than it was for anybody else.
I’d consider it greater since they’ve shown a particular need for home court.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
The sad thing is they earned a home court first two rounds in a normal year.
A matter of perspective, I guess, but it doesn't register on my sad scale. If you can't hold serve on a neutral court against a #13 seed that had to travel twice the distance, then one should reflect on what's actually been "earned".

Also, for that matter, in a "normal year" they wouldn't have gotten an impromptu home game against UConn, and without that win on their resume they almost certainly don't get a top 4 seed. So there's that.

SimpleDawg

Dan Mullen, Dak Prescott, and Vic Schaefer fan
Reaction Score
The next year was good. Tied for 2nd in the Pac 12, 29 wins, Sweet 16. Had no answer for McCowan and got knocked out of the Tourney by Mississippi St. But yeah, as good as Dungee is she isn't Plum and he hasn't been able to recapture that magic at Arkansas.

That was a good year too, but again felt like they could've gone further with Plum, Osahor, and McDonald. They had the best player in women's basketball. They had no depth of course, and I think that was their death knell against Vic... since Vic rotated 10 players in that game that gave quality minutes.

I think they did all they can in the regular season, but if they didn't get upset by Oregon in the tournament they could've avoided that matchup with Mississippi State and have gotten to at least an Elite 8 - and that would've left those last Mike Neighbors' Huskies teams imprint a little stronger.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
That was a good year too, but again felt like they could've gone further with Plum, Osahor, and McDonald. They had the best player in women's basketball. They had no depth of course, and I think that was their death knell against Vic... since Vic rotated 10 players in that game that gave quality minutes.

I think they did all they can in the regular season, but if they didn't get upset by Oregon in the tournament they could've avoided that matchup with Mississippi State and have gotten to at least an Elite 8 - and that would've left those last Mike Neighbors' Huskies teams imprint a little stronger.
McDonald wasn't really McDonald yet. She was a Fr. that showed some promise but no idea she would blossom into the scoring machine she was at Arizona. Remains to be seen about her, but but so far other than Plum there were no future WNBA players on that team. Oshaor was a rock but she was giving up about 6 or 7 inches on McCowan and for maybe the first time ever couldn't displace someone with her strength, so she was helpless in that matchup. UW was hot and cold, but other than Plum and Osahor there weren't any other dependable players on that roster. I strongly disagree with you, finishing tied for 2nd in a very strong conference and nearly winning 30 games w/ that roster was quite an accomplishment. With a different matchup maybe they could've won their 3rd round game, but I think they pretty well maxed out that season. Overall they were better than the Final 4 team, but didn't catch fire in the post season the same way, and were very much missing a dependable third scorer like they had w/ Talia Walton.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom