12 Years. Seven season tickets. I'm done. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

12 Years. Seven season tickets. I'm done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The price level is indefensible. Times have changed. They need to stop pretending they're in a big conference with those prices.
I'm not sure the price level is a big con. If tickets were $10 or any dollar amount you want less each, would the game be sold out? I, for one, think the pricing is reasonable. Yes, it sucks that season tickets cost more than buying individually, but is our pricing that bad? It's $25 per game for season tickets without donation for decent seats.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I did a lot of laughing and joking too. Brought my 15 year old nephew, he said wow, they're awful. I looked at him and said you really think we don't have a chance at 41-0, left after that missed FG. I don't want to call Diaco a loser like Zoo did tonight, but that was a loser mover going for that FG.

I kept the tickets through the P era, cause I do feel like its my contribution to the program. Even after getting dicked out of my seats by the ticket office. I lost a dude from my crew due to that screw up. Still I'm there. I'm on the fence, and I'll probably renew, but yeah I wont dog anyone who drops this. They have to find a way to make this worthwhile. We are boring to watch and we lose a lot. That is a terrible combination.

I'll be there next year. It's not even a question for me. But I am not going to be critical of anyone who isn't.

It's supposed to be fun. When there is 6:00 left in the second quarter and you've played more quarterbacks than you've gained yards in the freezing cold... is that fun?

Reaction Score
It's not always fun. It's for better or worse. Just like a marriage.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Can't blame anyone for dumping. We all have our own breaking point.

Reaction Score
The price level is indefensible. Times have changed. They need to stop pretending they're in a big conference with those prices.
This is very true, drop prices and hope to gain some buyers I guess. I feel the ADs pain. They need all the revenue the can get, but this is four years with no bowl, and the excuses for next year seem to be starting already.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
It's not always fun. It's for better or worse. Just like a marriage.

And most people don't consider going to games as being that type of commitment. I imagine you own a TV and can see it's not just UConn fans...

Reaction Score
When college football started taking its business bigtime, killing rivalry, pomp, and circumstance in favor of TV dollars, Astroturf PR campaigns and "rebranding", etc, they turned this beautiful sport and collegiate community of athletics into a commercial, bloodless enterprise.

They will reap the results of that action.

I think UCONN fans have been very, very loyal and patient through the past 4 years. I have froze in those stands watching awful teams.

But when the colleges turned NCAA into a commercial cash cow they must have understood that they were breaking the bonds of loyalty.

I am 29 years old, not 75. Yet Even in my limited historical perspective I can see the signs. Dropping attendance, overtaxed donors, unnurtured young grads priced out and feeling like a revenue source and not a community member.

I hate that I am Right.

Reaction Score
When college football started taking its business bigtime, killing rivalry, pomp, and circumstance in favor of TV dollars, Astroturf PR campaigns and "rebranding", etc, they turned this beautiful sport and collegiate community of athletics into a commercial, bloodless enterprise.

They will reap the results of that action.

I am 29 years old, not 75. Yet Even in my limited historical perspective I can see the signs. Dropping attendance, overtaxed donors, unnurtured young grads priced out and feeling like a revenue source and not a community member.

I hate that I am Right.
I said in the other thread I got the chance to go to the Harvard/Yale game today and it was really refreshing. Just a genuine rivalry between two teams with a long history playing in close proximity to one another. Not great talent but all the pomp and tradition you could want and the game was actually fun to attend, which is something I haven't been able to say about UConn football in what seems like forever.

The AAC is purgatory. If it ever becomes evident that realignment is well and truly over and we're not getting a seat at the big boys' table, I hope at that point UConn drops FBS football and gets us back into a regional league where we can at least enjoy the rivalries again. I don't care to see us playing Memphis and Houston and SMU and Tulane and Tulsa and even the Florida teams over the long term if it isn't getting us to a better place. If this crappy hodge-podge of a league isn't a means to an end it's not worth it just to have a chance to go to the Quizno's Sandwich Bowl every few years.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Season ticket holder since my freshman year in 2005. My group got as high as I believe 12 in 2010.

The group was down to 8 this season.

Out of 8, not a single person went tonight.

As of now, from 12 from less than 5 years ago to likely nobody renewing next season is just downright sad.

It's a combination of a lot of things (mainly leaving ct and no longer having a car) but Diaco has pushed me over the edge.

I wish there was some glimmer of hope but I honestly feel like the program has sustained irreparable damage.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
thank you Jeff Hathaway, possibly the worst AD in the history of AD's

could anyone have been more incompetent.

I can't blame PP, he took the money and he actually convinced one man he could still coach

Reaction Score
So I got through midway through the 2nd quarter before going to sleep. Knowing the outcome I just can't watch anymore.

I'm pretty close to declaring Diaco a bust at this point. Next year is not gonna get better. We have no line, no QB, a tougher schedule, and there are cracks with defections at the end of the year. I still want to give him a glimmer of hope but man it's getting tough.

Reaction Score
You should sell the house with the DVR in it and just start fresh in another state.

I love that even though I am furious at the state of UCONN football and the play of the team last night, this board can still make me laugh,

Reaction Score
http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2014/09/mississippi_states_dan_mullen_4.html

"All of our fans, our student body, our alumni, everybody talks about if we build an unbelievable home atmosphere we can create a winning program, and they've done that," Mullen said. "You're not going to get it done with just the guys on the field. We went into an extremely hostile environment last weekend. You could tell every time the game, I thought our guys played really well down in Baton Rouge, but every time the game got tight, we could barely communicate at the line of scrimmage, guys weren't sure what play we were running on offense and it was deafening loud. That picks up their level of play.

"That's the atmosphere we want. When people say what's the hardest to play in in the country, that's what we want it to be. We've got to do our part on the field, but we certainly need everybody in the stands to do their part as well."

I know it is SEC football and its slightly apples and oranges, but his mentality was sort of the opposite of Field of Dreams, his thought is "If they come, we can build it"....As a non-season ticket holder (non-CT resident) I'm obviously not passing judgement, but it is a good debate between the NFL / College Football mentality of "I'm paying for a good product on the field" vs. "I'm going to support my school and create an atmosphere for them to win at"

He does obviously mention that they have to do their part on the field, which this program has not done the past 4 seasons, but just some food for thought

Reaction Score
If you build it they will come. UConn does not deserve sold out stadiums. You put a quality product on the field and the crowds will grow.

Reaction Score
The fac that we have 20k show up at this game given the time, team and weather does nothing but bolster the concept that we have a great fan base. We are horrible, we aren't getting better, it is late November, there was a hockey game yesterday a few miles away with strong support and still we had 20k. Win some games and show some competence and the place will sell out. This football program is a great head coach away from being good. Everything else is in place.

Reaction Score
Got jolted back to reality last night. One of my group of 12 has no connection to UConn. He & his wife are just very good friends & they bought in because they are part of our social circle. We all left at half-time to thaw out a Margharita's. At some point over cocktails, I said that I was sorry that everyone had to endure such a crumby display this season. He countered "That's why we'll be back next September. We'll hope for better results." Here's to hope.

Reaction Score
Even the diehards can only take so much. So darn sad what's become of this program in a few short years. Painful to watch every week.

Holding out hope that things can turn around soon is about all we've got left.

Last edited:

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Getting people to commit to the program again isn't just a matter of winning again. That's the most important factor, yes, but we have lost some fans PERMANENTLY over the last few years. It's harder to get people back the second time than to get them excited for the first time.

Reaction Score
Getting people to commit to the program again isn't just a matter of winning again. That's the most important factor, yes, but we have lost some fans PERMANENTLY over the last few years. It's harder to get people back the second time than to get them excited for the first time.
I don't think it's as bad as all that. If the team starts winning again the fans will come back. It's too good a time at the Rent for the fans to stay away out of spite even if the team is good.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
I don't think it's as bad as all that. If the team starts winning again the fans will come back. It's too good a time at the Rent for the fans to stay away out of spite even if the team is good.
Due to the fact that our season ticket sales are going to crater - I respectfully disagree.

Reaction Score
Sorry but if we're locked in the AAC this program is dead. It will have Yankee Conf level support. It's fine if you give up the D1A idea, but I honestly don't know how this program recovers. It is what is. I wish I could operate on blind faith but that's not in my DNA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom