12 Spots Left... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

12 Spots Left...

Status
Not open for further replies.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
wyoming has no population. none. come on now whaler. ;)

unlv on the other hand, i argue at unlv and unr are worthy down the road...i think atleast 1 of them will be in that pac16 one day.

Uh I was mocking Wyoming. What is going to change at UNLV that makea th worthy? Are they going to improve academics (ha)? They cant be better at basketball than they used to be. They will never field a football team that isn't pathetic and even if they did no one would watch.

Gee Im in Vegas - should I go sit in the heat and watch third rate football or do something on the strip .....

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
That's not completely true. The entire state of NC would be their Market by adding NC and Duke and they would have incorporated the most nationally relevant rivalry in all of college basketball. That counts for a decent chunk of change.

For the love of God. North Carolina State has 10 times the fan base of Duke statewide. Duke has a national following for basketball. They have no fans locally. They cant even sell out Cameron.

If Duke and Carolina are so valuable... Why is their league falling apart based on the contract they just signed?

Reaction Score
The PAC already has a track record of elevating schools from the non BCS ranks. No reason to think they wouldn't do so again if they wanted to get to 16. They may not care but if they wanted to I think Hawaii, UNLV, and Nevada would be on the short list.

Reaction Score
For the love of God. North Carolina State has 10 times the fan base of Duke statewide. Duke has a national following for basketball. They have no fans locally. They cant even sell out Cameron.

If Duke and Carolina are so valuable... Why is their league falling apart based on the contract they just signed?

It's pretty much just a matter of bad timing with the TV contract and a lack of recent success in football. Nothing more. No reason to over think it. It's not because UNC and Duke are worthless.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I give up. You guys have lost it. UNLV to the Pac12 is so f@&)(;mg stupid it's painful. Hawaii is a damned liability. No school in their right mind would agree to fly there.

Reaction Score
North Carolina State has 10 times the fan base of Duke statewide. Duke has a national following for basketball.

NC State's national following is a small fraction of Duke's. A very small fraction.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
It's pretty much just a matter of bad timing with the TV contract and a lack of recent success in football. Nothing more. No reason to over think it. It's not because UNC and Duke are worthless.

Right. We can check back on this when Duke is someplace other than the ACC.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Uh I was mocking Wyoming. What is going to change at UNLV that makea th worthy? Are they going to improve academics (ha)? They cant be better at basketball than they used to be. They will never field a football team that isn't pathetic and even if they did no one would watch.

Gee Im in Vegas - should I go sit in the heat and watch third rate football or do something on the strip .....

i know you were joking about Wy. i know where u stand on this stuff.

unlv can't improve its academics? why not? doesn't it just take a bball explosion, being a state school and a great leader? didn't uconn just do that the past 20 years? who is to say that unlv isn't doing that right now?

unlv in the pac16 ='s this.
-good bball and facilities are there
-potential fball with the right hire/program building
-a stadium all set and ready to go
-every fball home game will get huge away team suport. hey zona is at unlv, lets go friday night and come home sunday. every single fanbase is going to ride that every year. its apart of life out there. instead of a random trip during the summer, it will become part of fball and bball culture for fanbases in that league.

Reaction Score
I give up. You guys have lost it. UNLV to the Pac12 is so f@&)(;mg stupid it's painful. Hawaii is a damned liability. No school in their right mind would agree to fly there.

The PAC doesn't have as many good options to get to 16. It'd be very easy for the rest of the conferences. I'm not convinced that the PAC will ever go to 16 but if they did those are the schools I think they would have to look at.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
NC State's national following is a small fraction of Duke's. A very small fraction.

In basketball sure. Even Waylon has given up on basketball mattering.

Even in the looney world of message boards you can find anyone who thinks Duke is going anywhere but this thread.

Reaction Score

Even in the looney world of message boards you can find anyone who thinks Duke is going anywhere but this thread.

If they don't land somewhere else and the ACC does collapse at least we can expect to be conference mates with them. Good times ahead.

Reaction Score
UConn will never play big boy football. Is USF a college? Utah to the PAC 12? TCU to the Big 12? Boise St to the Big East? All crazy ideas 10 years ago.

The Western US is growing fast. Many of the colleges in the West (and South) are young and are generally looked down upon by Eastern elites, but they have big aspirations. During the 2000s, the four fastest growing states in the US were Nevada, Arizona, Utah, and Idaho. Nevada used to be half the size of CT, but it will be bigger than CT by 2020+/-. By the way, Boise St is enlarging their stadium to seat 50k+. Colorado St is looking to build a new stadium. These schools have ambition.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
i know you were joking about Wy. i know where u stand on this stuff.

unlv can't improve its academics? why not? doesn't it just take a bball explosion, being a state school and a great leader? didn't uconn just do that the past 20 years? who is to say that unlv isn't doing that right now?

unlv in the pac16 ='s this.
-good bball and facilities are there
-potential fball with the right hire/program building
-a stadium all set and ready to go
-every fball home game will get huge away team suport. hey zona is at unlv, lets go friday night and come home sunday. every single fanbase is going to ride that **** every year. its apart of life out there. instead of a random trip during the summer, it will become part of fball and bball culture for fanbases in that league.

Here are some reasons:
Its Las Vegas. Its not exactly conducive to education

It's not a flagship state university. Many state schools exist to educate above average students at reasonable tuitions - Central's mission is different than UConn's

Uh maybe you missed UNLV's basketball explosion?

Schools like Cal-Berkeley have to hold their noses to associate with Arizona State - they will never in 10 million years partner with UNLV.

I'm sorry that you can't see how ridiculously stupid this suggestion is. It's honestly so dumb I worry about you.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
UConn will never play big boy football. Is USF a college? Utah to the PAC 12? TCU to the Big 12? Boise St to the Big East? All crazy ideas 10 years ago.

The Western US is growing fast. Many of the colleges in the West (and South) are young and are generally looked down upon by Eastern elites, but they have big aspirations. During the 2000s, the four fastest growing states in the US were Nevada, Arizona, Utah, and Idaho. Nevada used to be half the size of CT, but it will be bigger than CT by 2020+/-. By the way, Boise St is enlarging their stadium to seat 50k+. Colorado St is looking to build a new stadium. These schools have ambition.

Uh TCU was in the SWC. Them being in the Big 12 is hardly surprising. It was only state politics that kept them out in the first place.

If you said the Pac-10 was adding 2 teams to get a championship game - were there two schools other than Utah you could name?

USF has been a school for much longer than they had a football team.

Boise State to the Big East is crazy, but how about they play a game in the conference before we decide it even happened.

Reaction Score

It's a good thing, then, that the NCAA has an established incentive for schools to fly to Hawaii for in-season games, in that you are allowed to play one extra game over the normal limit for travelling to Hawaii (also Alaska and Puerto Rico).

Hawaii's liability is not only its distance. The liability is the quality of its programs, its relatively small market, and weak academic standing.

Reaction Score

Well, some of those states were growing fast, before the real estate market crashed, and they were the hardest hit, when it did.

F

fortebleedsblue

PAC 12, if they expand, would be choosing from a different group of schools which is why I didn't include them.

So you are completely ruling out the possibility that the PAC 10 would add big 12 schools? It wasn't long ago that this was a real scenario so why is it all of a sudden completely off the table? If the PAC 10 expands with Boise, BYU doesn't that still leave 2 spots they can yoink from the BIG 12?

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I tend to agree with Whaler here when I say this board has lost it's collective mind.

I agree at times but I also feel that some people take this waaaaay too seriously when people are throwing out possible scenarios. I think HuskyFanDan said one time that the best part of all this is that it's fun to throw out random possibilities. I think it's funny when certain people get really ticked off when people make silly comments. I agree that Duke will never go to the B1G but no need to get all huffy about it!

Reaction Score
I agree at times but I also feel that some people take this waaaaay too seriously when people are throwing out possible scenarios. I think HuskyFanDan said one time that the best part of all this is that it's fun to throw out random possibilities. I think it's funny when certain people get really ticked off when people make silly comments.

it was all fun and games until someone threw UNLV in the Pac12...:mad:

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

Criteria for Expansion:

1) Markets
2) Markets
3) Markets

4) Football
4a) Basketball

I think the last two are relevant, but not drivers. Duke's problem is that it is a medium sized, elite, private school and the Big 10 wants big state schools. That said, it does bring a lot of national exposure. I don't think Duke to the Big 10 is likely, but it is not out of the question.

Duke is one of the top schools in the country, and its basketball program gives it a lot of credibility. It is one of a handful of schools that could effectively start their own conference if they wanted. If Duke and the remaining ACC schools decided to be a D1 Patriot League, Northwestern and Vanderbilt would listen.

If the Big 10 added UNC and UVa, I could see the Pac 12 taking a final look at Boise and BYU. Boise's academics are an issue, but it is a top football program, and that conference could use a boost athletically. Also, with the new playoff structure, especially if it goes to 8 or 16 teams, a program as good as Boise's could generate a ton of revenue for the conference with playoff berths. I could also see the Big 12, Big 10 and SEC saying that if they are all at 14, the Pac 12 needed to be at 14, and they had to take one for the team and take BYU and Boise, the only two schools outside the system that have a realistic shot of finishing Top 5. The only reason BYU is not in a major conference already is because of BYU. I think the Pac 12 likely just stands pat, but it could take one last look.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I agree at times but I also feel that some people take this waaaaay too seriously when people are throwing out possible scenarios. I think HuskyFanDan said one time that the best part of all this is that it's fun to throw out random possibilities. I think it's funny when certain people get really ticked off when people make silly comments. I agree that Duke will never go to the B1G but no need to get all huffy about it!

HuskyFanDan is a great UConn fan - no doubt about it, but I agree with Whaler that it just gets too much sometimes.

It's fun throwing out proposed conferences but how many times do we have to see UConn in a 16 team all sports league with Colorado State and Nevada?

pj

Reaction Score
Criteria for Expansion:
1) Markets
2) Markets
3) Markets
That's why the Big 10 which holds the decisive hand will be interested in Notre Dame (national), UNC (biggest available state), UVa and maybe Md (for the DC market), and Rutgers and UConn (for NJ/NY/CT and exposure for major teams in NYC TV market every year). They have 4 spots, 6 contenders. If they were to decide to go to 18, it would be easy to grab UConn/Rutgers now and wait for the ND TV contract to expire and the ACC to blow up. If they don't take UConn and Rutgers ahead of the new Big East TV deal which would have a GoR, then they don't want to go to 18.

UConn and Rutgers don't make geographic sense for any other conference except the ACC, which is why it's bad for us that the ACC may be self-destructing. I suppose the Big 12 could be a landing place. I do think UConn and Rutgers will be joined at the hip in this.

Reaction Score
It's a good thing, then, that the NCAA has an established incentive for schools to fly to Hawaii for in-season games, in that you are allowed to play one extra game over the normal limit for travelling to Hawaii (also Alaska and Puerto Rico).

Hawaii's liability is not only its distance. The liability is the quality of its programs, its relatively small market, and weak academic standing.

Distance isnt the factor for FB. It's having to send the non-revenue sports all the way to Hawaii every year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom