12 Spots Left... | The Boneyard

12 Spots Left...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
If conferences go to 16 schools, the SEC has 2 spots, the Big12 has 6 spots, and the Big 1G has 4 spots left, which means there are 12 spots left. Who are the most attractive schools from a markets, academic reputation, and athletic achievement basis? (In my opinion, private schools get devalued with the exception of ND.)

Here is my order:

1) ND
2) Florida St.
2a) Virginia Tech
2b) North Carolina
5) Virginia
6) NC State
7) Maryland
8) Clemson
9) Georgia Tech
10) UCONN
10a) Duke
12) Miami
13) BYU
14) Syracuse
15) Rutgers
16) Louisville
17) Pitt
18) BC
19) Cincinnati
20) Wake Forest
21) Everyone else

The problem with this list is that I think UConn does not get a spot. Here is what I think would happen:

SEC: Virginia Tech, NC State
Big 12: Florida St., Clemson, Georgia Tech, Miami, Louisville, Maryland
Big 1G: ND, North Carolina, Virginia, Duke

The New, New, New Big East:

Pod 1: BC, UConn, Syracuse, Rutgers
Pod 2: Temple, Pitt, Navy, Cincy
Pod 3: USF, UCF, Houston, SMU
Pod 4: Boise St., San Diego St., Air Force, BYU

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Doesn't the PAC12 in your theory have 4 slots?

Reaction Score
Duke has about as much chance of going to the B1G as I do holding a jackpot Powerball ticket. While Duke BB is excellent and very profitable, Duke football is awful and a drag on finances. Duke would quickly become the University of Chicago with multiple 1-11 seasons. They are awful and play in a 33,000 seat stadium that hasn't been full since Bill Murray was coach (it used to be 42,000). Duke can get good athletes for any of its many
sports teams except football and baseball. The Devils aren't being invited anywhere in a football-centric culture.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Duke has plenty of 1-11 seasons already.

Reaction Score
The Big 1G has been home to some miserable Northwestern football teams over the years. Duke would be the top academic school in the Big 1G, improve Big 1Gs basketball presence as well as bring in the top basketball rivalry with UNC, and football attendance would dramatically improve in the Big 1G, especially with visiting fans.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The Big 10 is already plenty good at basketball and Duke doesn't add subscribers to their television network. It's a conference of mostly huge land grant universities. Duke doesn't fit in any way shape or form.

Reaction Score
The B!G would take Duke if UNC and UVA wanted them in and if ND was supportive.

Reaction Score
Northwestern is not a land grant college. In addition, The University of Chicago is an academic member of the Big 1G through the CIC. With ND, UVa, UNC, and Duke, the Big 1G would be far and away the best academic conference, excluding the Ivy League. Remember, the academics weren't happy about Nebraska joining and wanted nothing to do with Missouri, Kansas, and Oklahoma, never mind Kansas St. And Oklahoma St. And, they would be far and away the best basketball conference.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Why would Notre Dame ask the Big 10 to add Duke? Why would they ask to add Virginia for that matter?

The maximum revenue per team for the Big 10 is this:
Add Notre Dame, then never expand again.

Reaction Score
Doesn't the PAC12 in your theory have 4 slots?

PAC 12, if they expand, would be choosing from a different group of schools which is why I didn't include them.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Northwestern is not a land grant college. In addition, The University of Chicago is an academic member of the Big 1G through the CIC. With ND, UVa, UNC, and Duke, the Big 1G would be far and away the best academic conference, excluding the Ivy League. Remember, the academics weren't happy about Nebraska joining and wanted nothing to do with Missouri, Kansas, and Oklahoma, never mind Kansas St. And Oklahoma St. And, they would be far and away the best basketball conference.

Northwestern isn't a land grant college? Maybe that is why my post said mostly.

The Big 10 is ALREADY the best academic conference. They arent playing as schools match wits.

Duke is 100% totally worthless to the Big 10. Totally and completely worthless. Useless. Absolutely zero value. None. Nada.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I know some people on here would prefer to be in a league with New Mexico and UCF, but if we ever ended up in a pod of BC, Syracuse and Rutgers I would be estatic. I mean, play your 3 biggest rivalsor no name state U thousands of miles away...

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Do you guys not realize that as the ACC and Big East collapse the Big 10 is already the best basketball conference? The computers already rank them at the top most years as it is. The Big East is a shell - barring a major comeback from the ACC they don't need to worry about not being the best basketball league.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
PAC 12, if they expand, would be choosing from a different group of schools which is why I didn't include them.

There actually aren't any schools for them. Thats where the concept falls apart. They can't go to 16 without Texas.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
what if your 3 biggest rivals are not good teams and have all around sports cept for cuse bball? meanwhile the rest of the country is getting paid to play fball and all that jazz...do u dream of being bc/ruty/cuse? or do u dream of being mich/bama/fl/unc/uva/ok/tex/usc.....?

Reaction Score
Why would Notre Dame ask the Big 10 to add Duke? Why would they ask to add Virginia for that matter?

UNC and UVa happen to be the 10th and 12th largest states in the US and both will pass Michigan in the near future. Have you heard of the Big 10 Network? Big AND growing pops for the network. Similar logic is being used for the SEC to expand by adding NC St and VIrginia Tech.

Reaction Score
There actually aren't any schools for them. Thats where the concept falls apart. They can't go to 16 without Texas.

You are correct, but, there are some very good California universities that could make the move if they wanted to and had the financial desire. Who are they? There are lot of UC's that are highly ranked schools like UCSD, UC Davis, UC Santa Barbara, and UC Irvine. In addition, there is Air Force, SD St., BYU, Wyoming, Nevada, New Mexico, Colorado St. You have to remember, most Western states are growing fast and the schools are improving over time. Still, the PAC 12 has the fewest logical choices.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
UNC and UVa happen to be the 10th and 12th largest states in the US and both will pass Michigan in the near future. Have you heard of the Big 10 Network? Big AND growing pops for the network. Similar logic is being used for the SEC to expand by adding NC St and VIrginia Tech.

You aren't making a case for North Carolina you are making a case for Duke. I could see the Big 10 wanting Virginia - but why the hell would Notre Dame push for them?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
You are correct, but, there are some very good California universities that could make the move if they wanted to and had the financial desire. Who are they? There are lot of UC's that are highly ranked schools like UCSD, UC Davis, UC Santa Barbara, and UC Irvine. In addition, there is Air Force, SD St., BYU, Wyoming, Nevada, New Mexico, Colorado St. You have to remember, most Western states are growing fast and the schools are improving over time. Still, the PAC 12 has the fewest logical choices.

You somehow managed to name 11 schools - none of which will be in the Pac12 in 500 years. Why not just add UNLV and Montana to your list.

These teams being in the Pac-12 is ridiculous. New Mexico. Wyoming. You may as well lump together UConn and New Hampshire.

Reaction Score
You aren't making a case for North Carolina you are making a case for Duke. I could see the Big 10 wanting Virginia - but why the hell would Notre Dame push for them?

Duke is a national brand in basketball and their rivalry with UNC is the biggest rivalry in college basketball. I think if the ACC is breaking up, the Big 1G will expand to 16 which appears to be the end game by adding ACC schools plus ND.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
nd will want md for dc and ruty or uconn for nyc. in return the big publics will want 2 of unc, uva, other of ruty/uconn, kansas. nd will say ok but we pick the 2 of those also and pick unc and then uva or ruty or uconn.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
You somehow managed to name 11 schools - none of which will be in the Pac12 in 500 years. Why not just add UNLV and Montana to your list.

These teams being in the Pac-12 is ridiculous. New Mexico. Wyoming. You may as well lump together UConn and New Hampshire.

wyoming has no population. none. come on now whaler. ;)

unlv on the other hand, i argue at unlv and unr are worthy down the road...i think atleast 1 of them will be in that pac16 one day.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Duke is a national brand in basketball and their rivalry with UNC is the biggest rivalry in college basketball. I think if the ACC is breaking up, the Big 1G will expand to 16 which appears to be the end game by adding ACC schools plus ND.

That doesn't change the fact that Duke adds nothing. Maybe you have never been to North Carolina - Duke has no fans there.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The Big 10, Big 12, and SEC could all get to 16 with decent candidates with a snap of their fingers. The Pac 12 has some problems.

BYU is the only candidate for Pac 12 expansion. They have a huge following and are very good in multiple sports. The problem with them is that they are a massive pain in the ass to deal with. Nevada and UNLV are out of the question. I could see the Pac 12 swallowing hard and taking Boise in an extreme situation if BYU promised to play nice.

Reaction Score

That's not completely true. The entire state of NC would be their Market by adding NC and Duke and they would have incorporated the most nationally relevant rivalry in all of college basketball. That counts for a decent chunk of change.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom