12 Reasons Why UConn Will Regret the New Big East | Page 8 | The Boneyard

12 Reasons Why UConn Will Regret the New Big East

Reaction Score
I don't know if this has been mentioned, but Benedict pointed out today on the radio that the BE rotates it's end of year baseball tournament so expect a tournament in Hartford soon which would be fantastic plus the tournament will now be within driving distance often.

I agree the move to the BE is not a negative for baseball at all, i'm surprised so many people think that it is. The smaller league will actually create scheduling flexibility and travel savings will be huge over time.

The only negatives I can think of off the top of my head with respect to UConn baseball moving to the NBE, is 1) less program exposure to southern recruits (NC/FL/TX), though I am not sure how many of those kids would really consider a New England school in the first place, and 2) the NBE is not even as good as the pre-expansion OBE, especially after Providence dropped baseball. UConn's non-conference schedule will continue to be hugely important.

Reaction Score
The only negatives I can think of off the top of my head with respect to UConn baseball moving to the NBE, is 1) less program exposure to southern recruits (NC/FL/TX), though I am not sure how many of those kids would really consider a New England school in the first place, and 2) the NBE is not even as good as the pre-expansion OBE, especially after Providence dropped baseball. UConn's non-conference schedule will continue to be hugely important.

I would not worry about UConn baseball having less exposure to southern recruits due to its leaving the AAC. The south has not been a recruiting ground at all for UConn baseball. UConn baseball never got these southern kids to commit during their tenure in the AAC, so nothing much is going to change there. The only southern player who has shown up on the roster recently is Erik Stock from Virginia, and he transferred in from another Division 1 program, so he is not the normal freshman recruit. As far as incoming freshmen are concerned, UConn baseball recruiting base continues to be New England, New York, Pennsylvania, and New Jersey. Every once in a while they have pulled in a kid from the midwest or elsewhere. The California JUCO pipeline really opened up several years ago earlier this decade for Uconn, that is something that has been rather fruitful.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
What’s FSU’s sport again?

The fact that FSU can raise $20 million privately to terminate a football coach and his staff makes it very clear what is the sport at that school.

That, according to what reports are available for a private university, equals roughly 2/3 of Villanova's total annual athletic budget.

Reaction Score
We moved to the ZBE because we couldn't win in the AAC. If we had winning records the last few years, this move would NOT have happened. We were simply not able to compete in th AAC and made a panic move.

Reaction Score
The fact that FSU can raise $20 million privately to terminate a football coach and his staff makes it very clear what is the sport at that school.

That, according to what reports are available for a private university, equals roughly 2/3 of Villanova's total annual athletic budget.
Although football is FSU’s declared sport, they suck at it.

Look at all of the money and resources FSU invests. Yes, it’s true, their spending dwarfs Nova’s spending. Yet they still suck.

I think there’s 25 or so universities with 20 or more NCAA championships and FSU, with all of its spending, isn’t on that list. Nova and UConn are.

Quoting FSU’s spending is like bragging about all the money you have invested in the stock market, even if the stocks have all lost.

Reaction Score
We moved to the ZBE because we couldn't win in the AAC. If we had winning records the last few years, this move would NOT have happened. We were simply not able to compete in th AAC and made a panic move.

U so dumb lol

Reaction Score
The difference between FSU and Florida and some other schools is that the fans care enough about football to do what must be done. Even if it costs tens of millions.

University of Florida dumped Coach McElwain in his 3rd season in 2017 at a $13 million cost (and additional to pay off assistants) and is, this week, an AP Top 10 team.

As most are aware....The definition of insanity is repeating the same mistakes over and over again and expecting different results. Sometimes you need to reboot.

It surely must be puzzling to folks at Nova and the like re such an expenditure....different cultures.

Last edited:

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

The difference between FSU and Florida and some other schools is that the fans care enough about football to do what must be done. Even if it costs tens of millions.

University of Florida dumped Coach McElwain in his 3rd season in 2017 at a $13 million cost (and additional to pay off assistants) and is, this week, an AP Top 10 team.

As most are aware....The definition of insanity is repeating the same mistakes over and over again and expecting different results. Sometimes you need to reboot.

It surely must be puzzling to folks at Nova and the like re such an expenditure....different cultures.

I heard on the radio today that Sara Blakely, the founder and CEO of Spanx, a billionaire and an FSU alum, was pissed after Saturday's loss and stroked the $20m check on the spot to fire Taggart.

CT has billionaires too. None of them are invested in UConn athletics success to the extent of stroking checks that size.

Reaction Score

FSU is in the ACC and has the resources to be good in basketball, football, and all sports. Yet it doesn’t excel anywhere.

Nova is a basketball school and is regularly very good through multiple coaches over many decades. Multiple final fours and championships in Hoops and multiple championships across all sports.

FSU is an underperforming cash guzzler. It is a recognized brand, but not in a good way. I’m getting hungry for seafood just thinking about it.

Reaction Score
Actually, FSU has won as many football NC's as Nova has won basketball...

Nova never makes the CWS (do they play baseball?).

How about softball? I could have missed Nova in the Supers...FSU won the NC in 2018.

Women's Soccer? FSU won NC's in 2018 and 2014...Nova??

Heck...even in women's basketball, FSU has gone further than Nova the last five seasons (Nova-one round of 32...FSU-2 Elite Eights, a Sweet 16, and two round of 32).

Nova has a good men's basketball program...and Zissou, I know you have a case of envy...but let's stop boring UConn fans with Nova VS FSU crapola.

Go forth and enjoy the basketball season.

Reaction Score
Fsu doesn't excel anywhere? LOL

" Since joining the conference(acc), FSU has won ninety-six ACC titles and nine national titles including three in football, three in men's track and field, two in soccer, and one in softball. "

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
Yeah, belittling FSU sports is pretty stoopid.

Zissou and billybud in a Boneyard donnybrook.

Soon, my eyes shall bleed.

Reaction Score
The very fact that we never lost a game while playing AAC teams tells me that we needed to go to another conference. Unfortunately, especially due to geography, we are limited. I think that minus being invited into a power five conference we have made the best move possible.

Reaction Score
Yes, FSU has won football championships, and they now suck.
FSU seems to be a stepping stone coaching job now instead of a destination. Environment issues beyond just the coach.

Yes, Nova has won basketball championships, and they are still great.

Read 'em and weep. UConn 22 team titles. Nova 21 team titles. FSU doesn't make the cut. All of those resources and expenditures, and FSU doesn't make the cut.

Suck crab legs, FSU!

Division 1 Team NCAA Championships.
1573005036565.png

Reaction Score
" Since joining the conference(acc), FSU has won ninety-six ACC titles and nine national titles including three in football, three in men's track and field, two in soccer, and one in softball. "

And even with all of the cash and P5 status, it lags behind Nova and UConn in titles.

If billybud is going to look down on UConn and Nova, he should do it from a perch that is loftier than UConn and Nova. Since his perch is FSU, he should shut it, or just poke Florida Atlantic.

Reaction Score
Once Jay Wright leaves you will have a nervous breakdown. Enjoy it while it lasts.

Reaction Score
Once Jay Wright leaves you will have a nervous breakdown. Enjoy it while it lasts.
Check out the winning pct of all of Nova’s past coaches.

It’s true it’s time to enjoy Jay, but it’s not like Nova just recently came in the scene.

Reaction Score
Since you are a Villanova fan, you may or may not like to read about this:

Reaction Score
This suit marks the third time McDonald has attempted to force colleges to treat athletes like work-study students. The U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit ended his first shot in 2016 when it upheld a ruling that a group of former Penn track runners were not employees of the school.
"This complaint is filed by lawyers who have already sued unsuccessfully on this subject," NCAA chief legal officer Donald Remy said. "Importantly, it ignores previous court rulings that student-athletes are not university employees. The NCAA remains confident that courts will continue to uphold the precedent set by prior decisions."

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Hmm if student athletes become employees, would Title IX still apply to them?

Reaction Score
You must have missed these years -

He didn't have much post season success, but he did have a winning record, had some good teams, and beat UConn for a BET title. It wasn't good enough, but he was a winning coach and he actually left on his own terms.

…better than a Dom Perno or a Dee Rowe?

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom