12/1 Media Availability | The Boneyard

12/1 Media Availability

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
We saw this with USA Basketball.

When Geno said after the SC game that Azzi's foot issue "would need to be addressed," I suspected we would hear something like this. How else would you address this sort of injury? Rest.

Reaction Score
Thanks for the update. I have been watching old press conferences. Missing the team and Coaching Geno's wise guy comments. :)

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score

Notable quotes. He seems to be more positive and upbeat

On Azzi

“I don’t know if you saw her when she played, it didn’t look great, right? She’s not getting up and down the floor great and it’s been bothering her. We were trying to work at it, work at it, work at it,” Auriemma said. “She’s a really tough kid. She never wants to sit down. She thinks she can do anything. You’ve been waiting all this time to play and she tried playing through it, and it’s just not working.”

On Aubrey

Auriemma said last week that Griffin was missed in the South Carolina loss, and he expects her to bolster the Huskies’ depth in more ways than one.

“Defensively, I think for one. Rebounding I think for two. Attacking, slashing kind of guy that we kind of are missing for three,” Auriemma said. “She’s a much better stand-up shooter from the 3-point line than people recognize. I don’t think there’s area that she doesn’t help us.”

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
If Azzi has the possible makings of a stress fracture in her foot, why is she riding a stationary bike? When I ride a bicycle it puts pressure on the bottom of my feet. Am I missing something here?

Reaction Score
Yes.
? What? Makes perfect sense to me? Is it the weight? It seems like the pressure of pedaling would at least put some of the same pressure on her foot as the pressure of her weight. Do you know or are you simply choosing to be mysterious?

Reaction Score
If Azzi has the possible makings of a stress fracture in her foot, why is she riding a stationary bike? When I ride a bicycle it puts pressure on the bottom of my feet. Am I missing something here?
I understand your point, but I’m sure the trainers and coaches know better how to treat it and aren’t going to do anything that would put further injury at risk.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Depends on where the stress reaction is in the foot and how she is pedaling (where the pressure is applied to the pedal) - I suspect the trainers actually know what they are doing.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Depends on where the stress reaction is in the foot and how she is pedaling (where the pressure is applied to the pedal) - I suspect the trainers actually know what they are doing.
David Tennant GIF by Doctor Who

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score

On Aubrey

“She’s a much better stand-up shooter from the 3-point line than people recognize. I don’t think there’s area that she doesn’t help us.”
To me, this comment by Geno about Aubrey is his most surprising statement in quite a while. Aubrey is a better 3-point shooter than people recognize?? Apparently he has seen something in practice that we haven't seen in games.

Either this is just news conference fluff or it is big and very welcome news. Aubrey with a credible 3-point shot would be worth 25 minutes per game. She could be a central part of the guard rotation, which is less deep as of now than the front court rotation.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
The UConn training staff have an EXCELLENT track record of working with the female basketball players. Every player they have worked with has returned to action( as far as we know) completely healed. Most recently, look what they did for Paige, Nike and Evina. Azzi is in good hands. There should not be any hurry for her to return.

She'll return when she's ready, and the doctors and trainers release her. I know they said two weeks, but I'd be surprised if she returned before their game with Marquette on the 29th of December. She would only miss 5 games........Seton Hall, ND, Georgia, UCLA and Louisville.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
? What? Makes perfect sense to me? Is it the weight? It seems like the pressure of pedaling would at least put some of the same pressure on her foot as the pressure of her weight. Do you know or are you simply choosing to be mysterious?
The instantaneous force on a foot from jumping, running, or even walking is WAY greater than cycling. I’ve had foot issues off and on for most of my adulthood, and they got much better when I began to mix cycling into my routine. Cycling both strengthens and stretches the muscles of the foot.

Reaction Score
To me, this comment by Geno about Aubrey is his most surprising statement in quite a while. Aubrey is a better 3-point shooter than people recognize?? Apparently he has seen something in practice that we haven't seen in games.

Either this is just news conference fluff or it is big and very welcome news. Aubrey with a credible 3-point shot would be worth 25 minutes per game. She could be a central part of the guard rotation, which is less deep as of now than the front court rotation.

I remember that in one of her first games the announcers stated that she was cleared to shoot 3's in games by the coaches. They don't do that unless a player has done it in practice. She took 3's in HS.

I'd like to see some minutes with a lineup of Edwards Griffin and 3 guards in some of the conference games. 5 players able to guard the perimeter and run the floor.

Reaction Score

Well when playing Seton Hall, Aubrey can do anything....

Reaction Score
The instantaneous force on a foot from jumping, running, or even walking is WAY greater than cycling. I’ve had foot issues off and on for most of my adulthood, and they got much better when I began to mix cycling into my routine. Cycling both strengthens and stretches the muscles of the foot.
Pounding from running and jumping are definitely bad. I'll take you word and that of the UConn trainers about cycling.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score

I watched Aubrey’s last 4 games in HS. She put up 30+ in each game, including knocking down 1 or more 3 in every game. The 3-pt line is a little further out in college and you have less time to get a shot off, but for someone like Aubrey it may simply come down to confidence and opportunity.

Reaction Score
You know sometimes teams and coaches come up with phantom injuries to provide media cover when they think they need to bench someone. For example maybe they want to focus Azzi's training in the next several weeks on defensive positioning and development. Maybe they consider her a liability until they fix that. Maybe they want her working on her conditioning as they appeared to have been doing with Amari early this season. She's a major "property" they want to protect, emotionally, as well as physically. Or maybe it's just an injury. I think it's an injury in this instance but using injuries as an excuse to bench someone is probably in Geno's playbook as it is for many major programs.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom