11 Regular Season Titles for Nova | Page 2 | The Boneyard

11 Regular Season Titles for Nova

Reaction Score
No way FSU, Miami & Clemson would agree to being in the same pod. You only need to keep UNC & Duke together and UVA & VT together. Clemson & GT in the same pod is another annual game. Only 2 hours separate the schools. UNC also gets NC State in its pod.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Pitt has won nine national football championships—the most of any major college program in the East and the sixth-highest total ever.

Under Coach Johnny Majors in 1976, Pitt completed a miraculous turnaround by rolling to a 12–0 record and claiming the school’s ninth national title. Just five seasons earlier, the Panthers had gone 1–10.

The legendary John Bain "Jock" Sutherland coached Pitt to five national titles. His 1937 team ranked as the best in the land, with a 9–0–1 record. Among the Panthers’ vanquished opponents that year were Penn State (28–7), Notre Dame (21–6), Nebraska (13–7), Wisconsin (21–0), and West Virginia (20–0). The tie was a 0–0 deadlock with Fordham.

Under Glenn “Pop” Warner, Pitt won three national titles in four years. Considered one of the greatest coaches in football history, Warner directed the Panthers to unanimous titles in 1915, 1916, and 1918. During that period, Pitt won 30 straight games.
old man smile GIF by F*CK, THAT'S DELICIOUS
Thank you for figuring out the internet machine to drop some knowledge on those of us born in the 1900s

Reaction Score
No way FSU, Miami & Clemson would agree to being in the same pod. You only need to keep UNC & Duke together and UVA & VT together. Clemson & GT in the same pod is another annual game. Only 2 hours separate the schools. UNC also gets NC State in its pod.
Long time lurker, first time poster. I'm Florida State alum living in Connecticut. My eldest two kids are in high school. Expect that at least one will matriculate at UConn. I've long wanted the Huskies in the ACC, but...

Anyway, your pods ignore a lot of matchups that fans, and more importantly, administrators at these schools care about. For example, the North Carolina based schools would prefer to play each other every year. They're frustrated that they don't now. UNC additionally greatly values its annual game against Virginia. Duke and Georgia Tech likewise have a long tenured game that both schools are committed to keeping.

The other schools in the conference also have at least three games they care to some degree about. And these matchups don't fit neatly into pods either. The ACC would be better off foregoing pods and just assigning four permanent annual conference games to each school and rotating the rest. The two schools with the best conference records could play in the title game.

Unfortunately, I don't expect to ever see my alma mater at Rentschler, Gampel or the XL Center for a conference game, but here's to hoping.

Reaction Score
ND, Pitt, BC, SU
VPI, UVA, Ville, WVU
UNC, Duke, NCSU, WF
Clemson, GT, FSU, Miami

Trying to create competitive balance by artificial means never works out. Group the teams geographically and give the fans the matchups that they want to see.
Actually, add the 5th pod of Texas, Baylor, Oklahoma, and Oklahoma St, and rotate playing pods each year, you add good football and basketball.
You surround the SEC and cutoff the Big 10 from getting into the south.

Reaction Score
Long time lurker, first time poster. I'm Florida State alum living in Connecticut. My eldest two kids are in high school. Expect that at least one will matriculate at UConn. I've long wanted the Huskies in the ACC, but...

Anyway, your pods ignore a lot of matchups that fans, and more importantly, administrators at these schools care about. For example, the North Carolina based schools would prefer to play each other every year. They're frustrated that they don't now. UNC additionally greatly values its annual game against Virginia. Duke and Georgia Tech likewise have a long tenured game that both schools are committed to keeping.

The other schools in the conference also have at least three games they care to some degree about. And these matchups don't fit neatly into pods either. The ACC would be better off foregoing pods and just assigning four permanent annual conference games to each school and rotating the rest. The two schools with the best conference records could play in the title game.

Unfortunately, I don't expect to ever see my alma mater at Rentschler, Gampel or the XL Center for a conference game, but here's to hoping.
Nice post. Those old rivalries make a lot of sense. So naturally it follows, who in the ACC cares about playing BCU, Syracuse, Pitt and Louisville other than BCU, Syracuse, Pitt and Louisville?

Reaction Score
Nice post. Those old rivalries make a lot of sense. So naturally it follows, who in the ACC cares about playing BCU, Syracuse, Pitt and Louisville other than BCU, Syracuse, Pitt and Louisville?

Thanks. Miami seems most likely to want to play some of those schools every year. I certainly could imagine the Canes annually playing two of Pitt, BC and Cuse.

"Care" is likely too high a threshold for schools without Big East roots (and probably VPI too). But I do suspect some might be agreeable to annually playing one (maybe even two) of the four under the right circumstances.

For example, most in the Florida State community only care about playing conference mates Miami, Clemson, and Georgia Tech. Louisville being added to those as a fourth annual game would likely be viewed pretty favorably. My best guess is that Clemson's leadership would probably be fine with Louisville too so long as Georgia Tech, Florida State and NC State (a.k.a. the Textile Bowl) occupied the other three spots.

But yeah, adopting such a schedule would definitely require some bargaining.

Reaction Score
In the meantime, exchange Syracuse, BC, and Louisville, into Coastal, and put Georgia Tech, North Carolina, and Duke back in the Atlantic where they belong.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom