11 Regular Season Titles for Nova | The Boneyard

11 Regular Season Titles for Nova

Reaction Score
Another leadership milestone in a storied basketball conference.

Reaction Score
Laughing Out Loud GIF by memecandy

Reaction Score
Thanks for keeping the seat warm for us - you can go away now.
Lol, you were here for this one! UConn could have prevented another Nova title.

Reaction Score
College athletic programs to never win an NCAA Championship in any sport. I remember reading something about Kansas State never winning so I was curious what other programs have never won, especially P5. Perhaps this deserves it's own thread, but how about this list.

Which P5 (and other) schools have never won a NCAA title? - MWC Sports Forum - MWC Message Board (mwcboard.com)
Pitt has won nine national football championships—the most of any major college program in the East and the sixth-highest total ever.

Under Coach Johnny Majors in 1976, Pitt completed a miraculous turnaround by rolling to a 12–0 record and claiming the school’s ninth national title. Just five seasons earlier, the Panthers had gone 1–10.

The legendary John Bain "Jock" Sutherland coached Pitt to five national titles. His 1937 team ranked as the best in the land, with a 9–0–1 record. Among the Panthers’ vanquished opponents that year were Penn State (28–7), Notre Dame (21–6), Nebraska (13–7), Wisconsin (21–0), and West Virginia (20–0). The tie was a 0–0 deadlock with Fordham.

Under Glenn “Pop” Warner, Pitt won three national titles in four years. Considered one of the greatest coaches in football history, Warner directed the Panthers to unanimous titles in 1915, 1916, and 1918. During that period, Pitt won 30 straight games.

Reaction Score
Pitt has won nine national football championships—the most of any major college program in the East and the sixth-highest total ever.

Under Coach Johnny Majors in 1976, Pitt completed a miraculous turnaround by rolling to a 12–0 record and claiming the school’s ninth national title. Just five seasons earlier, the Panthers had gone 1–10.

The legendary John Bain "Jock" Sutherland coached Pitt to five national titles. His 1937 team ranked as the best in the land, with a 9–0–1 record. Among the Panthers’ vanquished opponents that year were Penn State (28–7), Notre Dame (21–6), Nebraska (13–7), Wisconsin (21–0), and West Virginia (20–0). The tie was a 0–0 deadlock with Fordham.

Under Glenn “Pop” Warner, Pitt won three national titles in four years. Considered one of the greatest coaches in football history, Warner directed the Panthers to unanimous titles in 1915, 1916, and 1918. During that period, Pitt won 30 straight games.
OK for this discussion we are not recognizing these "championships."

Reaction Score
Villanova should have went FBS. But they probably knew they'd be in the American right now, which is why they probably didn't upgrade!

One thing to be said about some schools in the AAC, some are definitely advancing very rapidly to get ahead of Louisville academically. I suppose UL leaves the intelligentsia stuff to UC.

Reaction Score

Since you are including ancient history, pre 1940, the most football titles are with programs in the East, Princeton and Yale, and Pitt isn’t even close.

When Pitt was chosen over Penn State by the Big East in the early 80s Pitt did have a Big Time program and a Johnny Majors championship was very relevant.

Pitt has fallen off of a cliff in both basketball and football. Of all the Big East teams that have made a final four, Pitt is not on that list. So before we call them a basketball “has been”, we might want to consider that they “never were”.

Reaction Score
Remember when Villanova was second tier behind the football playing Big East schools? I remember.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Lol, you were here for this one! UConn could have prevented another Nova title.

I think you will clearly see the impact of injuries on titles and success soon enough.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Villanova should have went FBS. But they probably knew they'd be in the American right now, which is why they probably didn't upgrade!

One thing to be said about some schools in the AAC, some are definitely advancing very rapidly to get ahead of Louisville academically. I suppose UL leaves the intelligentsia stuff to UC.
If Villanova goes FBS the C7 becomes the c6 and probably doesn't leave. While the OBE would still have been among the weakest of the P6 is still would have survived.

Reaction Score
If Villanova goes FBS the C7 becomes the c6 and probably doesn't leave. While the OBE would still have been among the weakest of the P6 is still would have survived.
The PAC-12 is very weak right now.

Either way, Pitt's AD seems to be placing their chips on women's volleyball as their best chance to win a championship. Pitt, BC, and Cuse will regret their move one day, if they don't already. The only winners were their athletic administrators who got to pay themselves more.

Reaction Score
1985? Yep, I remember.

A five game season...Div. III...big wins over Navy JV and Pace...and Catholic Univ. of America.

I had spent a summer interning at Catholic University in the way, way, way back and I had gone back in early '85 to have my son christened by a friend. I did not follow the team at all...so it was interesting to see that they played in the ODAC back then.

Reaction Score
With the ACCN the per team payout will be in the 35-40 million range. That money has paid for facility upgrades at Pitt, SU & BC.

Cincinnati and WVU are two likely options for the 16th ACC spot. It’s also possible that the ACC just adds ND and stays at 15 members, dropping division play like they did this year.

Reaction Score
With the ACCN the per team payout will be in the 35-40 million range. That money has paid for facility upgrades at Pitt, SU & BC.

Cincinnati and WVU are two likely options for the 16th ACC spot. It’s also possible that the ACC just adds ND and stays at 15 members, dropping division play like they did this year.
Notre Dame wants to play Texas yearly, so that is a good number 16, but 20 is the way to go. You have 4 pods of 5, just switch the pods every year. You end up playing everyone ousige your pod in 3 years.

Reaction Score
4 pods of 4 teams each and 4 super conferences gives you a sweet 16 (pod champions) that leads to a final 8 (conference championship games) that leads to the 4 team playoff.

9 game schedule with 3 games in your pod and 2 games each against the other 3 pods. You play every team at least every two years.

ACC
ND, Pitt, BC, SU
Miami, VT, UVA, Louisville
Clemson, GT, Wake, WVU
FSU, UNC, Duke, NC St

Reaction Score

BC, Cuse, and Pitt fans talk more about money than people who work on Wall Street. Because in the end that's all they've got.

It amazes me that a sport (football) drives the bus for BC, SU and Pitt considering they will NEVER, EVER, EVER win a championship in that sport.

But that's what is driving the bus. Football and it's money. Which leads to no more MSG and regional rivals. And playing in a Dixie conference.

Yes, UConn's current setup isn't the most conducive to landing the big bucks. But as a fan? I love the Big East and Hockey East. I have no itch to run to the ACC anymore. Give me the BET and MSG every friggin year. And soon the TD garden on Final 4 Hockey East nights.

Reaction Score
BC, Cuse, and Pitt fans talk more about money than people who work on Wall Street. Because in the end that's all they've got.

It amazes me that a sport (football) drives the bus for BC, SU and Pitt considering they will NEVER, EVER, EVER win a championship in that sport.

But that's what is driving the bus. Football and it's money. Which leads to no more MSG and regional rivals. And playing in a Dixie conference.

Yes, UConn's current setup isn't the most conducive to landing the big bucks. But as a fan? I love the Big East and Hockey East. I have no itch to run to the ACC anymore. Give me the BET and MSG every friggin year. And soon the TD garden on Final 4 Hockey East nights.
100%. Last night was the most excited we've been for a UConn Basketball game in years and if not for covid, we would have been at the Garden enjoying the annual tradition. Big East Tournament. NYC. MSG.

Reaction Score
BC & SU being private schools need the money. It’s huge money that keeps growing.

As far as winning national championships in football, only about 8% of football schools have even made the playoffs. I think the new transfer rules will help get the talent on the field and make the conferences more competitive. No doubt football is the least competitive sport of all the NCAA sports. That’s primarily due to oversized rosters. Limit team rosters to 65.

Reaction Score
The ACC has helped BC and Pitt in baseball. Of course if they would just start the season on April 1st they would not need to be in the ACC!
We all better hope that ACC hockey is a long ways off. HEA is the perfect conference.

Reaction Score
4 pods of 4 teams each and 4 super conferences gives you a sweet 16 (pod champions) that leads to a final 8 (conference championship games) that leads to the 4 team playoff.

9 game schedule with 3 games in your pod and 2 games each against the other 3 pods. You play every team at least every two years.

ACC
ND, Pitt, BC, SU
Miami, VT, UVA, Louisville
Clemson, GT, Wake, WVU
FSU, UNC, Duke, NC St

ND, Pitt, BC, SU
VPI, UVA, Ville, WVU
UNC, Duke, NCSU, WF
Clemson, GT, FSU, Miami

Trying to create competitive balance by artificial means never works out. Group the teams geographically and give the fans the matchups that they want to see.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom