11/3 Practice Tidbits (via Horde Twitter) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

11/3 Practice Tidbits (via Horde Twitter)

Reaction Score
A weird twist going off this, for the first time since I’ve been here Gampel student season tickets still haven’t sold out. Funny enough XL tickets are gone but not Gampel must be because of the opponents at each venue.
Sorry but opponents or not that just plan f ‘ n pathetic. One team that WILL be playing in all of those games is Uconn. There are thousands of kids at the school, there are no lame transportation excuses or anything. Get to the freaking games and support your school in their flagship sport. Awful.

Reaction Score
Sorry but opponents or not that just plan f ‘ n pathetic. One team that WILL be playing in all of those games is Uconn. There are thousands of kids at the school, there are no lame transportation excuses or anything. Get to the freaking games and support your school in their flagship sport. Awful.

I think this is a bit of an over reaction.

I'm confident they will be there.

Student support deserves no scorn.

It's the rest of us that need to do better.

Last I checked there are plenty of seats available for the game on Friday.

Reaction Score
Well if you play like a middle of the pack AAC team you get treated like one.

BS success is not that far removed and there’s plenty of time to drink after 7:30, sad student base.

Reaction Score
BS success is not that far removed and there’s plenty of time to drink after 7:30, sad student base.

After everything the athletic department does to students, we should appreciate that they still go to games at all

Reaction Score
Wish they had opened it up to non-students. At least the guys were having fun!

$

Reaction Score
After everything the athletic department does to students, we should appreciate that they still go to games at all

Elaborate? Not sure what they can do to a student who likes the basketball team to make them rebel from being a fan, but I’m curious.

Reaction Score
Elaborate? Not sure what they can do to a student who likes the basketball team to make them rebel from being a fan, but I’m curious.

@mauconnfan please indulge me here and allow me to rant as this is something I am passionate about (this will probably go off in a few different directions but I believe it is all connecte):

UConn students are forced to attend half their basketball games and all their football games 30-45 minutes off campus.

This is insane and almost totally unheard of in all of major college athletics.

I can hear the whining now; "whaaaa I can't get to Storrs for a 7pm tip whaaaa"

Well guess what, folks; 10s of thousands of fans make it from KC to Lawrence, from Indy to Bloomington, from Detroit to Ann Arbor, from Raleigh to Chapel Hill and I can go on and on.

You want UConn to be a power program in a power conference? It's time to start behaving more like a power fan base.

So, we ask UConn students to attend 75% of their major sporting events (plus hockey) a long drive from their campus to service lazy alum and fans.

And, yes, these sports are THEIRS. UConn sports belong to UConn, UConn sports are NOT Connecticut's pro teams. It is NOT UConn's responsibility to support Hartford's bars and restaurants.

College sports are to be played on campus, for the students which is the way it is at almost every other school in the country. Anything else is antithetical to what college athletics (should be) about.

My wife went to Georgia. Every last detail of the Georgia football game day experience is catered to the students. The student section is from the 35 to the goal line. Some of the best seats in the house.

We make our students sit behind the end zones and behind the backboards while other schools ring the court with students. All this is done while making our students pay the same if not more as we paid for Big East games AND force them to subsidize the AD through "voluntary" student fees.

So yes, I get PO'd when I hear people criticize the students.

They deserve no scorn.

/end rant

Last edited:
Reaction Score

I'm not a UConn student or alum, but I'm guessing he's referring to the athletic and marketing departments constantly mangling the distribution of student tickets with their stupid lottery, refusing to market the teams/events in a way that is remotely efficient or convenient, and completely killing all signs of student life on campus by breaking up parties as if they were a threat to national security. Couple that with increased tuition and static rates for a declining product (there are seniors this year who are yet to see UConn have a nationally relevant basketball, football, or even hockey team) and I can see the angst. It doesn't help that they play football games, hockey games, and half of the basketball games a half hour from campus.

Now, that being said, they need to go to basketball games. It's the marquee sport at the school. Spring break or not, it's inexcusable that more of them didn't show up for the conference tournament. Millennials really suck sometimes. It's not just a UConn thing. School spirit in general is less cool these days and the growing emphasis on making sure every sport and student organization on campus is equally represented doesn't help with establishing a culture. It isn't because all of them have wild social lives, either. Many of today's college kids simply do not know how to socialize and it is sad and only getting worse by the year. When you build a generation that is just a little too self-aware that comes with the good and bad.

Reaction Score
I'm not a UConn student or alum, but I'm guessing he's referring to the athletic and marketing departments constantly mangling the distribution of student tickets with their stupid lottery, refusing to market the teams/events in a way that is remotely efficient or convenient, and completely killing all signs of student life on campus by breaking up parties as if they were a threat to national security. Couple that with increased tuition and static rates for a declining product (there are seniors this year who are yet to see UConn have a nationally relevant basketball, football, or even hockey team) and I can see the angst. It doesn't help that they play football games, hockey games, and half of the basketball games a half hour from campus.

Now, that being said, they need to go to basketball games. It's the marquee sport at the school. Spring break or not, it's inexcusable that more of them didn't show up for the conference tournament. Millennials really suck sometimes. It's not just a UConn thing. School spirit in general is less cool these days and the growing emphasis on making sure every sport and student organization on campus is equally represented doesn't help with establishing a culture. It isn't because all of them have wild social lives, either. Many of today's college kids simply do not know how to socialize and it is sad and only getting worse by the year. When you build a generation that is just a little too self-aware that comes with the good and bad.

Yes, thank you.

Reaction Score

Not to be a nitpicker here, but I just want point out that while, "millennial" is used a catch all for "kids these days", most college kids now are either barely millenials or not millenials at all.

Reaction Score
Not to be a nitpicker here, but I just want point out that while, "millennial" is used a catch all for "kids these days", most college kids now are either barely millenials or not millenials at all.

Yeah, I wasn't sure exactly where the cut-off point was but figured they'd still qualify since virtually all of them were still born in the 1990's. It is actually from this article that I base most of my argument, though many of those kids probably aren't in college yet. Have Smartphones Destroyed a Generation?

Regardless, I think there are a lot of ways in which people improve with every generation. Many students today are plagued by things like mental illness, anxiety, and social isolation at a rate much higher than students of the past. My suspicion is that in some cases these things are directly related to the trend of declining student attendance at pubic events.

Reaction Score
Fan base in Connecticut is and has been apathetic for a while now. It took something special the great run by Calhoun and U conn to keep it going and a sudden slide and that enthusiasm fades fast.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
Do people really think that a decline in fan enthusiasm is specific to Connecticut?

It's very simple. Win games, market it, and people will show up. Generally, outside of us on this board, it's hard for people to get very excited about a Tuesday night conference game against Tulane.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
there are seniors this year who are yet to see UConn have a nationally relevant basketball, football, or even hockey team

And UConn is one of the few schools in the nation/D1 who can claim this?????
Poor Poor seniors
What happened before the OBE at UConn? The stands were filled with students
It's the kids these days - sleep, iphones and lack of commitment/loyalty to anything - I see it in the young folks we hire - smart but lacking in business protocol and people skills

Reaction Score
My my how things have changed.
When I was at UConn I never let "classes" prevent me from going out. Lol.

"What's a class?" asked Joel Berry.

ps this never gets old, and shouldn't, for the sh$te they pulled in Chapel Hill.

Reaction Score
@mauconnfan please indulge me here and allow me to rant as this is something I am passionate about (this will probably go off in a few different directions but I believe it is all connecte):

UConn students are forced to attend half their basketball games and all their football games 30-45 minutes off campus.

This is insane and almost totally unheard of in all of major college athletics.

I can hear the whining now; "whaaaa I can't get to Storrs for a 7pm tip whaaaa"

Well guess what, folks; 10s of thousands of fans make it from KC to Lawrence, from Indy to Bloomington, from Detroit to Ann Arbor, from Raleigh to Chapel Hill and I can go on and on.

You want UConn to be a power program in a power conference? It's time to start behaving more like a power fan base.

So, we ask UConn students to attend 75% of their major sporting events (plus hockey) a long drive from their campus to service lazy alum and fans.

And, yes, these sports are THEIRS. UConn sports belong to UConn, UConn sports are NOT Connecticut's pro teams. It is NOT UConn's responsibility to support Hartford's bars and restaurants.

College sports are to be played on campus, for the students which is the way it is at almost every other school in the country. Anything else is antithetical to what college athletics (should be) about.

My wife went to Georgia. Every last detail of the Georgia football game day experience is catered to the students. The student section is from the 35 to the goal line. Some of the best seats in the house.

We make our students sit behind the end zones and behind the backboards while other schools ring the court with students. All this is done while making our students pay the same if not more as we paid for Big East games AND force them to subsidize the AD through "voluntary" student fees.

So yes, I get PO'd when I hear people criticize the students.

They deserve no scorn.

/end rant

Very good post

I always wondered what it would be like if the state built a rail line to Storrs, allowing fans and (more importantly) commuter students to more easily get from Hartford and the local towns to campus. Minimize the traffic and parking hassle, speed up commute times, and allow people to get some work done while in transit. Likely a pipe dream, but would do wonders for UConn IMO.

Reaction Score

Tell that to any of the kids that have been there the last 3 years. Not a whole lot to get excited about during that time.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
there are seniors this year who are yet to see UConn have a nationally relevant basketball, football, or even hockey team

And UConn is one of the few schools in the nation/D1 who can claim this?????
Poor Poor seniors
What happened before the OBE at UConn? The stands were filled with students
It's the kids these days - sleep, iphones and lack of commitment/loyalty to anything - I see it in the young folks we hire - smart but lacking in business protocol and people skills

Wow kids today like to do different things than 60 years ago when you were in school.

*yells at cloud*

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chino323

Top Bottom