101-95 - Another Entertaining Game | Page 2 | The Boneyard

101-95 - Another Entertaining Game

Status
Not open for further replies.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
When I reflect on Maya's season and post season, I have my doubts that she should be one of the 12 who represent the USA in the Olympics. She did not truly break out as did Tina in her freshman effort, despite Maya being name Chief Rookie. There must be more than a dozen more experienced players who belong, but I'll bet on her for 2016.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
When I reflect on Maya's season and post season, I have my doubts that she should be one of the 12 who represent the USA in the Olympics. She did not truly break out as did Tina in her freshman effort, despite Maya being name Chief Rookie. There must be more than a dozen more experienced players who belong, but I'll bet on her for 2016.
Eric and I discuss this periodically. I think Maya may be on the bubble. 12 is a small number. Locks seem to include, if healthy, Diana, Sue, Catch, Tina, Candace, and Sylvia. Angel is likely a lock. Cappie could be. Does Griner make the team? Let's assume Whalen or Harding or Montgomery as a back-up PG. That leaves Maya, Swin, Asjha, and Candice Dupree competing for 2 spots. Tough competition!!

Edit: Seimone is likely as well.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I can't imagine a situation where Griner is not on the 2012 team after her performance in the recent European tour. Geno commented that she is the only player on this squad that can dominate. Do you omit the only player that you think can dominate?

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I think that Geno is looking forward as well and that Maya will be on the squad. I think that Brunson has to receive some serious consideration. She is greatly improved over the past couple of years.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Eric and I discuss this periodically. I think Maya may be on the bubble. 12 is a small number. Locks seem to include, if healthy, Diana, Sue, Catch, Tina, Candace, and Sylvia. Angel is likely a lock. Cappie could be. Does Griner make the team? Let's assume Whalen or Harding or Montgomery as a back-up PG. That leaves Maya, Swin, Asjha, and Candice Dupree competing for 2 spots. Tough competition!!

I agree that Maya is a 'bubble' player at this point when you get down to brass tacks: BG is on the scene now and Seimone is finally healthy. Neither was on the final WC squad, and the way Seimone has raised her game on the defensive end makes her tough to leave off, IMO. The last few spots will be insanely competitive.

But there is a lot of time left before the team is chosen. Maya may not have had the same kind of break-out WNBA season that Tina did, but she still has her Euro ball season to go, and after her upcoming rest period you can be sure she will be using that experience to its fullest advantage. Then there are the trials themselves. Next year's version of Maya may be at another level from this year's version.... time will tell.

I have to think that the moment the WNBA playoffs are over, Maya has one goal and one goal only in mind: being on the USA squad that brings home Olympic gold. Anything and everything she does between that moment and selection time will be geared toward that purpose. As Steve Jobs would say, everything else is secondary.

Gold_Medal_V.jpg

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
I think that Geno is looking forward as well and that Maya will be on the squad. I think that Brunson has to receive some serious consideration. She is greatly improved over the past couple of years.

Brunson = yet another name not on last year's WC squad that will likely get serious consideration. It will be amazing group of 12, whoever makes it.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
The thought of seeing BG and Fowles on the same team makes me smile. Good luck scoring in the paint when those two feel free playing aggressive defense knowing that if they get into foul trouble that the other one can come off the bench.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I agree that Maya is a 'bubble' player at this point when you get down to brass tacks: BG is on the scene now and Seimone is finally healthy. Neither was on the final WC squad, and the way Seimone has raised her game on the defensive end makes her tough to leave off, IMO. The last few spots will be insanely competitive.

But there is a lot of time left before the team is chosen. Maya may not have had the same kind of break-out WNBA season that Tina did, but she still has her Euro ball season to go, and after her upcoming rest period you can be sure she will be using that experience to its fullest advantage. Then there are the trials themselves. Next year's version of Maya may be at another level from this year's version.... time will tell.

I have to think that the moment the WNBA playoffs are over, Maya has one goal and one goal only in mind: being on the USA squad that brings home Olympic gold. Anything and everything she does between that moment and selection time will be geared toward that purpose. As Steve Jobs would say, everything else is secondary.

Gold_Medal_V.jpg
And I forgot Seimone! Really tough competition!

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
i think it's fantastic seeing two teams in the finals score over 90 points each. sure i'd have preferred less fouls to be called, but both teams play an exciting brand of offense and defense. i think any fan who doesn't enjoy these games simply isn't a fan of the game, per se, but a fan of individual teams. and i don't mean that as a criticism - everyone is entitled to like or dislike something - it's all personal preference, right?

just look at the men's game - much more popular. makes billions of $$. i would be as hard pressed to find a college team that plays as solid a brand of team basketball as the UCONN women do, never mind the pros, but there are millions of more fans who watch MCBB and the NBA than WCBB or the WNBA.

if one is "only" looking for teams who play the game with the same style UCONN does, well, then they will ONLY like UCONN WCBB. nothing wrong with that.

as for the Olympics, Milford is right - i sure hope Maya makes it, but i think she's one of about 6 competing for the final 2 spots and it's going to be tough for her to make the team this time around. not saying she won't, but Angel and Catch play the same position and i'd clearly put them ahead of Maya on the depth chart. Sue, Backup PG, Diana, Siemone, Catch, Angel, Tina, Candace, Sylvia, Brit Griner. that's 10 players. if the backup PG comes from Whalen, Harding or Monty, that leaves 2 spots for (assume Whalen is the backup PG) Harding, Monty, Cappie, Maya, Swin, Ashja, and Dupree. with that kind of lineup, maybe they take one more guard (Harding, Monty or Cappie) and one more wing/forward (Maya, Swin, Ashja or Candice).

it's all speculation. of course i'd love to see any combo of the final 2 come from UCONN products, but UCONN may end up with just 4 players on the Olympic team.

also it depends on who is healthy. there still could be injuries between now and next June. so you never know!!

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
That is a classic quote. Says something about UCONN basketball that 4 players on the Olympic team may be disappointing. As a Baylor fan, we will be thrilled to have one. (-:

"but UCONN may end up with just 4 players on the Olympic team."

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
That is a classic quote. Says something about UCONN basketball that 4 players on the Olympic team may be disappointing. As a Baylor fan, we will be thrilled to have one. (-:

"but UCONN may end up with just 4 players on the Olympic team."
very good point. however, on the last US National Team, there were 6 UCONN players. but i hear ya!

Reaction Score
Maya is not nor will she be on the Olympic team bubble. USA Basketball is not making roster decisions based on how players play in the WNBA. The only way USA Basketball is leaving her off the team is an injury.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Maya is not nor will she be on the Olympic team bubble. USA Basketball is not making roster decisions based on how players play in the WNBA. The only way USA Basketball is leaving her off the team is an injury.
Scotter, I hope you are right. Who do you think gets left off?

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score

I agree Scotter. Barring an injury, Maya will be on the team and she should be. Maya, Tina and Griner will be the foundation for future national teams and USA basketball will include them on the 2012 olympic team.

Here's what the team might look like:

Bird, Pondexter/Whalen
Taurasi, Augustus
Catchings, McCoughtry, Moore
Parker, Charles, Fowles, Griner, Cash/DuPree

Reaction Score
I agree Scotter. Barring an injury, Maya will be on the team and she should be. Maya, Tina and Griner will be the foundation for future national teams and USA basketball will include them on the 2012 olympic team.

Here's what the team might look like:

Bird, Pondexter/Whalen
Taurasi, Augustus
Catchings, McCoughtry, Moore
Parker, Charles, Fowles, Griner, Cash/DuPree

I pretty much agree with this lineup, but if Parker, Charles, and Fowles are all healthy and Griner is on the team I don't think they take anyone from the Cash/Dupree/Brunson/Asjha group. Instead they take both Pondexter and Whalen since it is appears that Pondexter is in the picture. If they have the three all-world post players healthy and a 6'8" player in reserve I think USA Basketball and Geno will be willing to go with Catchings and Moore playing minutes as the 5th post player. Which lets them keep a better overall player and a higher profile player.

Maya's position in my opinion is much safer than any of her Lynx teammates as well as players like Cash, DuPree, etc.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I pretty much agree with this lineup, but if Parker, Charles, and Fowles are all healthy and Griner is on the team I don't think they take anyone from the Cash/Dupree/Brunson/Asjha group. Instead they take both Pondexter and Whalen since it is appears that Pondexter is in the picture. If they have the three all-world post players healthy and a 6'8" player in reserve I think USA Basketball and Geno will be willing to go with Catchings and Moore playing minutes as the 5th post player. Which lets them keep a better overall player and a higher profile player.

Maya's position in my opinion is much safer than any of her Lynx teammates as well as players like Cash, DuPree, etc.

I agree. In fact, I actually typed pretty much what you said and deleted it because I wanted to think about it a bit more. I was thinking that the committee and Geno might prefer 5 guards which would mean one less post player. Like you, I think Maya and Catch have the versatility of playing in the post. Plus, I like the idea of having another true point guard to back up Sue.

I don't think there's any question that Cappie is back in the picture in a big way. Geno likes what she brings and I think her presence in Europe is paying her dues for bagging the world championships in favor of fashion week last year.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
After watching these WNBA playoff games I cannot imagine anyone thinking that that Augustus won't make the team. IMO, she is clearly the best player on the floor, along with Angel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom