10 Years ago today, the current Era began . . . . | Page 2 | The Boneyard

10 Years ago today, the current Era began . . . .

Reaction Score
I agree with this being the start of the current. In my opinion the UConn program as it exists today and as it existed for most of the last decade has been in the image of Maya more than anyone else and the standard of play and behavior that she set. She took the program and it's pursuit of perfection to a different level.

Reaction Score
Close games are basically a coin flip the statisticians say. Teams that have a good record in close games is more a result of good luck than any superior coaching or clutch players. In UConn case you have to consider for the game to be close odds are UConn has been playing poorly over the course of the game, and the opponent has been playing pretty good basketball. Who do you expect to win in a close game when one team has the confidence of playing well all game and the other team has the pressure of having played poorly?

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Close games are basically a coin flip the statisticians say. Teams that have a good record in close games is more a result of good luck than any superior coaching or clutch players. In UConn case you have to consider for the game to be close odds are UConn has been playing poorly over the course of the game, and the opponent has been playing pretty good basketball. Who do you expect to win in a close game when one team has the confidence of playing well all game and the other team has the pressure of having played poorly?

I don't think that's true at all...winning close games is usually indicative of mental toughness and ability to stay focused and execute when the pressure is highest. For example, during the stretch where Notre Dame won several close games vs. UCONN, they executed in the clutch moments where UCONN didn't, and that was the difference between two very evenly matched teams. When Maryland won the title in 2006, they were something like 6-0 in overtime games that year. Their confidence and toughness down the stretch was the difference. I'm not saying UCONN is a mentally weak team, nor has Geno had mentally weak teams, but to say close games are a coin flip is wrong IMO.

Reaction Score
I don't know about "mediocre at best." At Baylor, twice against Maryland, and at Florida State in the past few years were close games that we pulled out. Yes, there was a BAD stretch against Notre Dame, but we did fine against other teams. The 2010 championship game was a close affair. Maya took over the second half.
And Tinas defense and rebounding.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
And Tinas defense and rebounding.
There's a sequence where Tina blocks Nneka's shot, rebounds it, and outlets it to Maya, who goes the length of the floor to beat Pohlen for a layup. It was the 2 best players in the nation combining for a key play on the biggest stage.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom