10 Years ago today, the current Era began . . . . | The Boneyard

10 Years ago today, the current Era began . . . .

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
. . . . . with a loss! :p

NO. 2 WOMEN'S BASKETBALL DROPS EXHIBITION OPENER TO USA NATIONAL TEAM 90-74

But there were good reasons for the loss; reasons like Taurasi, Bird, Leslie, Augustus, and Lawson among others. This was, after all, the US Women's National Team that the Huskies opened up with. Not exactly your typical cupcake!

And while history doesn't always provide clear lines of demarcation, in my opinion the current era of UCONN WBB began that night in 2007 when a certain fresh-faced newcomer took the floor and immediately took no prisoners:

maya newcomer.jpg

Indeed she would take no prisoners in that year - as a 1st-team AA - or in any other. Far be it from me to suggest that a squad already stocked with players like Tina Charles, Renee Montgomery and other stalwarts was anything like chopped liver. These were future All-Americans, after all.

But I believe that Maya brought a certain mix of intangibles that are still lingering in the air at UCONN to this day; under the lights, in the gym, and especially on the practice court. Her singular drive and strength of will were so great, in small things as well as large, that they permeated the program like no one else since. They spilled over to others and inspired them to better than they thought they could be. To do more, to reach higher, and believe (just ask Tina).

Others may say we are in the age of Stewie -- and I would not argue -- but to me we have been in the Maya Moore Era since she first laced 'em up for UCONN ten years ago tonight against our nation's best. And she is still inspiring UCONN players, recruits and fans to this day.

Geno and CD are the twin forces most responsible for the heights the program has reached, but it takes special players as well, players who not only go above and beyond the level of mere mortals with their play but who also seem to lift up the entire program on their shoulders, mostly through deeds unseen, even after they have played their final game. Their imprint on the Husky culture is thus indelible. This to me is Maya's greatest legacy.

Long may she reign

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
As Geno said recently, Mel Thomas referred to the “Dark Years,” a period in which UConn failed to win more than 25 games in one season. (They have surpassed 30 every year since.) Having lost Diana Taurasi, the team struggled the next season. Gradually, they added talent and improved, so the absence from the Final Four was limited to only 3 years. UConn already had won 5 championships, but there was a lull. Then a kid out of Georgia, prime recruiting territory for Pat Summitt, believed what Geno was selling and decided to come north.

Before Maya played a regular-season game, no less than Diana Taurasi claimed Maya “could be the man.” Tara Vanderveer said that Maya and a bunch of middle schoolers would be a pretty good team. Doug Bruno asked Geno, “Tell me the truth. She’s even better than you thought, isn’t she?” Maya went on to be a consensus (unanimous?) All-American, finishing behind only veteran Candace Parker in the AP POY voting.

Maya won 2 or 3 NPOY awards, the only one she missed out on going to her roommate Tina Charles. She was a key part of the 90-game winning streak. She set a record with 150 career wins (still a record for games in which a player actually played) and never lost in the State of Connecticut.

Her team lost 4 games: At Rutgers against a mentally and physically tough team, when Maya hit 2 late treys to make it a single-possession game, but the team couldn’t get her the ball on the last play. Against an excellent Stanford team in the Final Four, a team that the Huskies had thrashed for 30+ minutes earlier in the season when UConn had a full roster. I believe that Maya was still feeling the effects of a physical takedown by Rutgers a few weeks earlier. At Stanford, carrying the weight of a 90-game streak, when our freshmen weren’t quite ready for that level of pressure and at least Geno and Tiffany had the flu. Against Notre Dame in the Final Four, when Stef got in foul trouble and our interior defense gave up a lead of about 10 points late in the game. Maya’s 36 points weren’t enough.

After Maya left, Geno said it would take 6 players to replace her. Geno asked his team in practice, who would replace Maya’s intensity and leadership. No one made eye contact. We had a stretch where we struggled in insanely close games to ND, but still made the Final Four and won the championship after a 2-year hiatus. Maya’s work ethic was picked up by Kelly Faris, who passed it on to Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis. Moriah Jefferson picked it up and passed it to Gabby Williams. The upperclassmen have incorporated it and are sharing it with Meg et al.

Whether we are still in the Maya era is open to debate. If we aren’t, I’d argue that Maya set the stage for the Stewie era. The 70-game streak was remarkable. Running a streak of 90 was incredible. Getting to 111 was unfathomable. With the larger-than-life mural of Maya hanging in the Werth Center, the players who followed her are reminded to compete on every possession, act with dignity and class, and refuse to lose.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score

But there were good reasons for the loss; reasons like Taurasi, Bird, Leslie, Augustus, and Lawson among others. This was, after all, the US Women's National Team that the Huskies opened up with. Not exactly your typical cupcake!

And while history doesn't always provide clear lines of demarcation, in my opinion the current era of UCONN WBB began that night in 2007 when a certain fresh-faced newcomer took the floor and immediately took no prisoners:

View attachment 25860

Indeed she would take no prisoners in that year - as a 1st-team AA - or in any other. Far be it from me to suggest that a squad already stocked with players like Tina Charles, Renee Montgomery and other stalwarts was anything like chopped liver. These were future All-Americans, after all.

But I believe that Maya brought a certain mix of intangibles that are still lingering in the air at UCONN to this day; under the lights, in the gym, and especially on the practice court. Her singular drive and strength of will were so great, in small things as well as large, that they permeated the program like no one else since. They spilled over to others and inspired them to better than they thought they could be. To do more, to reach higher, and believe (just ask Tina).

Others may say we are in the age of Stewie -- and I would not argue -- but to me we have been in the Maya Moore Era since she first laced 'em up for UCONN ten years ago tonight against our nation's best. And she is still inspiring UCONN players, recruits and fans to this day.

Geno and CD are the twin forces most responsible for the heights the program has reached, but it takes special players as well, players who not only go above and beyond the level of mere mortals with their play but who also seem to lift up the entire program on their shoulders, mostly through deeds unseen, even after they have played their final game. Their imprint on the Husky culture is thus indelible. This to me is Maya's greatest legacy.

Long may she reign

Maya’s arrival was the start of the truly dominant era in UCONN basketball. UCONN went from being a regular title competitor to being peerless in most seasons. Since 07-08, they’ve either won every title or entered the tournament as the #1 overall seed, except in 2012 when they were the #3 overall seed.

In the ten years since Maya arrived, they’ve had 4 undefeated seasons, 2 one loss seasons, 2 2-loss seasons, a 4 loss title year and a 5 loss season. Each year they’ve made the Final Four and were a #1 seed in the tournament.

Prior to that, the previous 3 years they missed the Final Four, and the year before they won it all but as a #2 seed.

The 2000-2004 stretch was dominant, but not to the degree of 2008-present. UCONN had peers in 2000-2004 (mainly Tennessee and Duke), they just usually beat their peers. They had numerous losses and close games during that run...even in 2002 they had games that were competitive late in the final minutes. In the Moore era, UCONN really hasn’t had any peers besides Baylor and Notre Dame for 2-3 seasons. Even when Notre Dame beat UCONN in the 2011 Final Four, it was a massive upset, where it wasn’t when they beat UCONN in 2001.

I think a lot of fans look back more fondly on the Taurasi titles than the Moore titles because there was almost no doubt that UCONN was winning it all in 2009 and 2010, where it was much less of a sure thing in 2003 and 2004.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Maya’s arrival was the start of the truly dominant era in UCONN basketball. UCONN went from being a regular title competitor to being peerless in most seasons. Since 07-08, they’ve either won every title or entered the tournament as the #1 overall seed, except in 2012 when they were the #3 overall seed.

In the ten years since Maya arrived, they’ve had 4 undefeated seasons, 2 one loss seasons, 2 2-loss seasons, a 4 loss title year and a 5 loss season. Each year they’ve made the Final Four and were a #1 seed in the tournament.

Prior to that, the previous 3 years they missed the Final Four, and the year before they won it all but as a #2 seed.

The 2000-2004 stretch was dominant, but not to the degree of 2008-present. UCONN had peers in 2000-2004 (mainly Tennessee and Duke), they just usually beat their peers. They had numerous losses and close games during that run...even in 2002 they had games that were competitive late in the final minutes. In the Moore era, UCONN really hasn’t had any peers besides Baylor and Notre Dame for 2-3 seasons. Even when Notre Dame beat UCONN in the 2011 Final Four, it was a massive upset, where it wasn’t when they beat UCONN in 2001.

I think a lot of fans look back more fondly on the Taurasi titles than the Moore titles because there was almost no doubt that UCONN was winning it all in 2009 and 2010, where it was much less of a sure thing in 2003 and 2004.
Maya played in so few close games that some people actually wondered if she could perform well in a close game. That was a silly question. Look at Game 5 against the Sparks for all the marbles.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
Maya played in so few close games that some people actually wondered if she could perform well in a close game. That was a silly question. Look at Game 5 against the Sparks for all the marbles.

It's obviously not the case, but I think it was valid since she hadn't been in many situations at that point. Inability to win close games has been one of the only criticisms UCONN in general--over the last ten or so years, the results in close games have been mediocre at best for the Huskies. If opposing teams can make it a one or two possession game late, they have a good shot to win against UCONN. The problem is, it's so rare that anyone can keep it close late in the game.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
It's obviously not the case, but I think it was valid since she hadn't been in many situations at that point. Inability to win close games has been one of the only criticisms UCONN in general--over the last ten or so years, the results in close games have been mediocre at best for the Huskies. If opposing teams can make it a one or two possession game late, they have a good shot to win against UCONN. The problem is, it's so rare that anyone can keep it close late in the game.
I don't know about "mediocre at best." At Baylor, twice against Maryland, and at Florida State in the past few years were close games that we pulled out. Yes, there was a BAD stretch against Notre Dame, but we did fine against other teams. The 2010 championship game was a close affair. Maya took over the second half.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I was living in Chicago in 2008 and was at this game with @ThisJustIn and @j66kicker. I realized that night that Maya was something special.

I believe Geno said something like, "Who does THAT? No one does THAT! But Maya Moore did it."

DaddyC was kind enough to send me a DVD of Collins Hill in the Seattle tournament. Against Tiffany Hayes and Winter Haven, Maya's shot was off, but she got a block, steal, and rebound at the end of regulation and in OT to ensure the win. Then, in the next game, against Khadijah Rushdan and St. Elizabeth, I believe that Maya put up 38 points in the first half. It was then that I knew she wore a cape.

Reaction Score
Diana won three titles and has a more brash personality than Maya so she gets a little more recognition sometimes, plus she literally carried them in 2003. The Maya era would likely have ended with another title if EDD had been on the team, but alas she wasn't.

I have a buddy who went to Collins Hill high school while Maya was there and he said it was ridiculous how much better she was than who she played against.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
I don't know about "mediocre at best." At Baylor, twice against Maryland, and at Florida State in the past few years were close games that we pulled out. Yes, there was a BAD stretch against Notre Dame, but we did fine against other teams. The 2010 championship game was a close affair. Maya took over the second half.

I’d say mediocre might be generous when you look at results in single possession or OT games.

Of the games you mentioned. the late game management against FSU was awful, the Maryland game was never a single possession game, @ Baylor in 2014 wasn’t a single possession game in the last several minutes either. Same with the 2010 title game—Stanford hit a few threes late but the game wasn’t in jeopardy. UCONN had built a healthy lead and the game wasn’t in doubt.

The close losses I can think of since 2008 are:
2012 St. John’s
2017 Mississippi State
5 games 2012-2013 vs Notre Dame
2015 Stanford
2008 Rutgers

On the contrary, the only nail biter wins I can think of over the last ten years are:
2017 Florida State
2017 Tulane
2008 DePaul
2011 Baylor

I may be missing a close win somewhere along the way, but that totals a 4-9 record in games decided by OT or a single possession over the last ten years.

Reaction Score
I would agree that Geno does not manage the end of close games well. My impression is that he does very well with overall strategy and game planning and he is good at half time adjustments, but on a tactical "one play to win the game" level he is not the best.

Reaction Score

View attachment 25860

Long may she reign
Wow. Well put. We went to our first UCONN WBB game back then out of curiosity to see what all the fuss about a " girls" basketball team and their outspoken coach is all about. Maya Moore that night did her magic and it is not an exaggeration to say we were comepletely in awe and fans for life. Thanks for the post.

Reaction Score
In fairness one of those Final Four games we lost to ND was a Semi played in their Back Yard Indianapolis. We should have won anyway but their crowd was another disadv. also.N Not as bad as losing to ND when D was a Freshman though!!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Diana won three titles and has a more brash personality than Maya so she gets a little more recognition sometimes, plus she literally carried them in 2003. The Maya era would likely have ended with another title if EDD had been on the team, but alas she wasn't.

I have a buddy who went to Collins Hill high school while Maya was there and he said it was ridiculous how much better she was than who she played against.
The video of the McDonald’s AA game is on YouTube. She was way better than anyone in that game. I forget the exact rankings of Winter Haven and St. Elizabeth, but I know both were in the top 15 or better nationally. At least one was in the top 10. I’m sure a regular league game had to be ridiculous in terms of non-competitiveness.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I would agree that Geno does not manage the end of close games well. My impression is that he does very well with overall strategy and game planning and he is good at half time adjustments, but on a tactical "one play to win the game" level he is not the best.
I’d say he is good at that, but not great. Of course, when his senior disregards the shot clock and drives to the basket prematurely, it’s out of Geno’s hands.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I’d say mediocre might be generous when you look at results in single possession or OT games.

Of the games you mentioned. the late game management against FSU was awful, the Maryland game was never a single possession game, @ Baylor in 2014 wasn’t a single possession game in the last several minutes either. Same with the 2010 title game—Stanford hit a few threes late but the game wasn’t in jeopardy. UCONN had built a healthy lead and the game wasn’t in doubt.

The close losses I can think of since 2008 are:
2012 St. John’s
2017 Mississippi State
5 games 2012-2013 vs Notre Dame
2015 Stanford
2008 Rutgers

On the contrary, the only nail biter wins I can think of over the last ten years are:
2017 Florida State
2017 Tulane
2008 DePaul
2011 Baylor

I may be missing a close win somewhere along the way, but that totals a 4-9 record in games decided by OT or a single possession over the last ten years.
Ok, you’re focusing on single-possession games, not just close games. I’d argue that you should give UConn credit for keeping some close games from becoming single-possession games.

The St. John’s, Stanford, and Mississippi State games were all determined by a shot at the buzzer. Some luck was involved, especially on the Amber Orrange shot.

The N.D. losses were particularly agonizing. It seemed like a multi-game Shakespearean tragedy in which the outcome was inevitable. In 2012-13, it looked as if we had few players who wanted to take the big shot. That was just a bad stretch when the planets were misaligned. When Stewie came of age, all that changed.

Reaction Score
IMO, it is difficult blaming a coach for lack of late game execution. Especially a coach as meticulous with preparation as Coach Auriemma. The players have to bear the bigger responsibility and, even then, have to be given the benefit of the doubt. Nerves and handling the pressure borne by the situation are extremely hard to overcome for even the best players. The extremely confident, the fearless, those who easily shrug off failure, teams with less to lose tend to fare better. When you have Michael Jordan, Robert Horry, or Christian Laettner available to take the big shot, a coach can appear to be a late game guru. But, if one looks closely, one is likely to find more instances of late game failure than of heroics. The truly heroic will salivate for the next such opportunity to succeed/fail. The less heroic will shy away from the opportunity unable or unwilling to deal with the possibility of failure. While coaching matters most in close games, sometimes players just do not make the play or opposing players make better plays. One must also account for the fact that the better players/teams are more heavily scrutinized/scouted for tendencies. My feeling about UConn's present close late in the game game woes is that they just do not experience enough close games. And when you are the team that is supposed to win, finding yourself in a close game without much previous experience is a daunting task.

Reaction Score
2017 Florida State
2017 Tulane
2008 DePaul
2011 Baylor

I may be missing a close win somewhere along the way
, but that totals a 4-9 record in games decided by OT or a single possession over the last ten years.

2008 at LSU was a great nail biter of a game that UConn pulled out. Great defensive execution on LSU's last possession, especially by Ketia Swanier on Quianna Chaney. The subject of the OP's post was brilliant in that game. The LSU game directly preceded UConn's great win over DePaul. I have stated previously that Maya's effort chasing down and stealing the ball after Montgomery's missed throw late in the DePaul game is what separates her from all the other UConn greats.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom