#10 UConn v. Boston College (Thursday 10/27/22 @ 7:05p @ XL Center). Game on ESPN+ | Page 3 | The Boneyard

#10 UConn v. Boston College (Thursday 10/27/22 @ 7:05p @ XL Center). Game on ESPN+

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
This was the sloppiest 5-1 you could hope for. BC really took it to us quite a bit and we seemed to be out of sync much of the night.

And that being said still won 5-1.

Terness was outstanding. Our tandem is as good as anyones in the conference.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I go back so far I remember frequent posters saying Cav wasn't the guy. Or that BCU didn't want him.

Reaction Score
Great win, although the final score was not indicative of overall play. Love the way this team hustles, goaltending and power play defending is fabulous. Three areas of concern:

1. The crowd (I know, I'm beating a dead horse). 3,031 is embarrassing for such a crucial game.

2. Face offs: 18 out of 50 and only .430 YTD.

3. Power play: 0-5, .158 YTD. But killing PPs has been stellar; opponents only .077 YTD.

Keep up the good work boys.

Reaction Score
Some very valid criticism has been leveled in some of the above posts. The difference is we are still talking about a win against a legacy HE program. It used to be that we would air our complaints re: play and finish with a "that's why we lost " line. This team is different.
After a fairly lackluster performance for 40 minutes (except for the brilliant Kinal to Rees goal), we played pretty well in the third and showed we can successfully "finish" a game when we didn't have our "A" game on display.

This is a well balanced team and Cav does have them playing well generally and they are able to hang a 5-1 defeat on BC when we didn't play flawlessly. Games like this are revealing. UConn can be a very successful team right through March/April, because "winning ugly" has always been part of the game. (And for effsakes, we have all seen enough of "losing ugly"...)

Reaction Score
Sea Goat is right! This morning I woke up irritated about our lackluster performance through parts of the game . A game that we won 5-1 against BC! What is wrong with me? What have we come to?

Reaction Score
Sea Goat is right! This morning I woke up irritated about our lackluster performance through parts of the game . A game that we won 5-1 against BC! What is wrong with me? What have we come to?
I was frustrated with the performance too. If there is such a thing as a fortunate 5-1 win it was last night.

I thought their performance in the defensive zone with their inability to get the puck out of the defensive zone was abysmal. They made some really bad passes in their defensive zone.

After UConn took the 2-1 lead, they played like their first few seasons in Hockey East when they parked the bus and hoped for the best. It was frustrating.

Samu Salminen looked impressive considering he’s been with the team for less than a week. The one power play he was a part of he looked pretty decent and he was the only UConn player to win the majority of his face offs.

Reaction Score
A few game notes, now that I have a chance to "post"

• Terness was terrific and deserved the number one star. There was more activity in front of the crease than usual - credit to BC for their game plan, but Terness was poised and solid and is seemingly always in the right position to make a save.

• Kudos to Cav and the staff for their line combinations. I saw a lot of Tverberg vs another terrific player in #11 Colby Ambrosio so speed could match speed.

• I appreciate seeing Samu Salminen in the lineup, and for just joining the team he didn't look totally lost. It will take some time to develop chemistry - I hope he can improve the team's ability to win and control face offs.

• I hope Amonte comes back healthy, because his energy was missed. Despite the win, we all know it wasn't a 5-1 game and that a great 5-3 kill and feed to a breaking Rees changed the momentum of the game. The Amonte effect is real, and the team feeds of his style and leadership.

• This team is DEEP! And diverse in the sense of roles that are played - even more so with #13 available. The plucker line of Veilleux Dawe and Tattle was great - they can really plug and muck things up and a re a threat to score. The fact that there are 4 lines that can perform bodes well deep into the season when they need to rely on contributions from more than one or two lines, or special teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom