#10 Oregon @ #11 Arizona - 1/14/21 | Page 3 | The Boneyard

#10 Oregon @ #11 Arizona - 1/14/21

Who will win this game?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Could it be, is Oregon St. actually going to play a game this week against Arizona? Beavs haven't played since 12/19.

Reaction Score
32% from the field, 3-11 from three, 8- 15 FT, 23 TO’s. Just an all around s*** show.
First loss to AZ in last 10 games... ouch.
This is where Kelly Graves earns his paycheck... getting these kids heads screwed back on going forward. Love my Ducks, though. More season to go (we hope). ASU game postponed

Last edited:
Reaction Score
32% from the field, 3-9 from three, 8- 15 FT, 23 TO’s. Just an all around s*** show.
First loss to AZ in last 8 games.
This is where Kelly Graves earns his paycheck... getting these kids heads screwed back on going forward. Love my Ducks, though. More season to go (we hope). ASU game postponed
Floridaduck or anyone else, Who is the leader on the team? And why is Shelley (bad passer) and Mikesell even out there. Should the rotation tighten up but again who is stepping up?

Reaction Score
Floridaduck or anyone else, Who is the leader on the team? And why is Shelley (bad passer) and Mikesell even out there. Should the rotation tighten up but again who is stepping up?
The leadership issue has been unclear since the start of practice IMO. Veterans Boley and Chavez would be logical candidates but Boley is shy and cerebral, Chavez sporadic. Not Sabally, not Prince, not Giomi. Dugalic and Watson are fine supporting players but... waiting for Paopao or Scherr or Parrish to mature into the role is my guess. (We were so spoiled for four years?)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Graves post game said he has not had a team look that bad since he coached in community college. Said a kids sports team (that is a grade school team club sport) could in bounds the ball better. Said it was "Nice it was on national tv too" Said players played scared,

Reaction Score
The leadership issue has been unclear since the start of practice IMO. Veterans Boley and Chavez would be logical candidates but Boley is shy and cerebral, Chavez sporadic. So waiting for Paopao to mature into the role is my guess.
Boley not the personality type to do so. Chavez has not stepped up. Mikesell and Shelley just bug the heck out of me when they are on the floor.

Reaction Score
More from Graves: "If we play like this we’re not going to win another game all year. That’s the honest truth. We can’t be great front-runners…We’ve got to be better than that. We’ve got to be able to win tough, hard-nosed, drag-out games, and we played young today."

Reaction Score
Wow. Tip my hat to Arizona. Putting together another nice solid season. Oregon definitely looking like a young squad. Always love the press conferences. Just to get some insight on what the coaches were thinking and their views of the game. Happy Birthday, Coach KG.

Reaction Score
Oregon still a team turnover machine right now. Saw it even in the beginning of the year. Against good teams it will be taken advantage of.
But with that said the Oregon firepower has never looked this bad though, they were missing point blank range.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Oregon still a team turnover machine right now. Saw it even in the beginning of the year. Against good teams it will be taken advantage of.
But with that said the Oregon firepower has never looked this bad though, they were missing point black range.
It was reminiscent of the South Carolina/NC State game. Some nights there’s just a lid on the bucket.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Well the game was at Arizona which is a hard place to play on the road given all that fan support....oh wait....never mind...:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Oregon was a team in full panic mode which killed them on offense but, ironically, gave energy to defense. Youth...yes...but primarily this is a team that has not come together as a cohesive unit yet. Graves is clearly going to use this debacle to tighten the rotation. Ya gotta stick with Paopao but otherwise the guard play was atrocious. Might look at starting: Paopao, Scherr, Dugalic, Prince, Sabally (with plenty subs still).
But hey...what do I know? Just an armchair fan..

Reaction Score
Thrashing OR on ESPN only makes AZ recruiting even more competitive
This is a great point. Barnes will use that first quarter video in both her recruiting and teaching her team to come together.

What is interesting is the wildcats maintained the lead after that first quarter but I thought really played down to the level of Oregon throughout the remainder of the game.

When McDonald's hits the three-pointer it makes Uarizona extremely dangerous because if they come out to guard her it opens up her ability to find cutters and to drive.

Oregon is in a position of having to replace three first round WNBA picks. Games like this can provide motivation and a turning point as Graves prepares his team for the big dance. I guarantee you he'll have the team ready to avoid another disastrous first quarter.

The wildcats defensive intensity in that first quarter was reminiscent of their last two games with the ASU Sun Devils. When they're locked in on that man to man defense and pressing their quickness is extremely disruptive.

Reaction Score
Alternatively, (and this is nostalgia/daydreaming) try to return to last year’s offense with Paopao, Scherr/Parrish/Chavez at 2 (Sabrina’s spot haha), Boley back at sniper role 3, Dugalic at 4 (IMO a young Satou), split the low post Sabally/Prince with improved finishing skills (please).

jonson

Oregonian
Reaction Score
In case someone doesn't want to hear/watch the head/eye-rubbing coach in the video @Figurehead linked above, here are some excerpts (slightly edited):

“I’m an offensive coach and I don’t think I’ve ever had a team that looked undisciplined and scared ever. Maybe since community college, and even most of my community college teams could have put up 41."

“Some of the times we couldn’t even get the ball inbounds. Seriously? You[r] Kidsports kids know how to get the ball inbounds against pressure. I mean I’m really disappointed. I’m at a loss. It wasn’t just one or two, it was basically everybody.”

“How do you score 100 points on Cal? I get it Cal isn’t Arizona. I think we play really well as front-runners. But when teams get tough and physical we have not shown that we can respond consistently.”

“I think the time has come for me to really tighten the rotation and say ‘This is what we’re going with and if you’re not in the rotation, work harder and find a way to contribute.' I’m trying to keep a lot of kids happy and give them a chance. I get it. This was what I wanted to do, but I thought it showed its ugly head tonight. We just never had any rhythm, and we were on our heels all night.

Our free throws were awful. We missed some good looks early. We didn’t shoot it well from range, and credit Arizona they put pressure on you and make it hard.”

“Bottom line is that they’ve [the team’s veterans] got to do better and be better in these kinds of games. We need them. That didn’t happen tonight.”

Ducks turn in worst offensive showing in years in loss in the desert

Reaction Score
or 10 spots below after last night lol
I'm guessing 5 spots to #15. Still #4 on Massey but the wide exposure of that disaster will result in a significant AP/Coaches drop.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
In case someone doesn't want to hear/watch the head/eye-rubbing coach in the video @Figurehead linked above, here are some excerpts (slightly edited):

“I’m an offensive coach and I don’t think I’ve ever had a team that looked undisciplined and scared ever. Maybe since community college, and even most of my community college teams could have put up 41."

“Some of the times we couldn’t even get the ball inbounds. Seriously? You[r] Kidsports kids know how to get the ball inbounds against pressure. I mean I’m really disappointed. I’m at a loss. It wasn’t just one or two, it was basically everybody.”

“How do you score 100 points on Cal? I get it Cal isn’t Arizona. I think we play really well as front-runners. But when teams get tough and physical we have not shown that we can respond consistently.”

“I think the time has come for me to really tighten the rotation and say ‘This is what we’re going with and if you’re not in the rotation, work harder and find a way to contribute.' I’m trying to keep a lot of kids happy and give them a chance. I get it. This was what I wanted to do, but I thought it showed its ugly head tonight. We just never had any rhythm, and we were on our heels all night.

Our free throws were awful. We missed some good looks early. We didn’t shoot it well from range, and credit Arizona they put pressure on you and make it hard.”

“Bottom line is that they’ve [the team’s veterans] got to do better and be better in these kinds of games. We need them. That didn’t happen tonight.”

Ducks turn in worst offensive showing in years in loss in the desert
They just looked terrified out there and couldn't get anything going. It was so bizarre. Just awful shot selection, so many bad passes and Oregon was jittery offensively, blowing a plethora of easy layups and open shots. I mean they had 33 points with about 2 minutes to go. Props to Arizona for completely flustering Oregon.

Rematch will be interesting to watch to see if Oregon can execute. If I'm Arizona I'd absolutely hound Oregon full court again since it was so disruptive the first time. Id probably bet on Arizona winning again in a rematch since Oregon was just so visibly intimidated.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Boley not the personality type to do so. Chavez has not stepped up. Mikesell and Shelley just bug the heck out of me when they are on the floor.
That is surprising about Mikesell. I believe there were some on this board who thought she would be a positive game changer for Oregon when she chose to transfer there.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Rematch will be interesting to watch to see if Oregon can execute. If I'm Arizona I'd absolutely hound Oregon full court again since it was so disruptive the first time. Id probably bet on Arizona winning again in a rematch since Oregon was just so visibly intimidated.
Nah...as bad as Oregon played there will be plenty easy to correct. Probably good to realize that the last three quarters were just AZ 35 to ORE 34 despite a 5 point (!) 3rd Quarter. Defense was stout, offense horrible. Shooting % about equivalent but the 23-12 TO margin was the difference and FTs.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom