#10 Maryland Scouting Report | Page 2 | The Boneyard

#10 Maryland Scouting Report

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
dare I say, could Adams see some minutes in this game? He would at least provide solid defense to help rotate on their cast of bigger guards. Just give him explicit instructions not to shoot
Yeah concerned about Ayalas size given how poorly we’ve handled PGs posting us up

Reaction Score
I figure they will try and play a similar style to Nova/Creighton and use their guards on the post. Their bigs aren’t big so we should dominate the paint

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
This is an Andre Jackson and Tyrese Martin game defending with a small lineup with Whaley at the 5 I think
This is exactly what I was thinking. St. Johns killed us playing 5 out but we didn't have Jackson or Bouk for that game. To play against this lineup definitely feels like a RJ, Bouk, Dre, Martin, Whaley lineup. We need to push pace more without Sanogo in the post.

Reaction Score
I expect we'll see Jackson guarding Wiggins when he's in the game and probably Martin will be on him the rest of the time. Shut down Wiggins and Ayala and we'll be fine.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
This is exactly what I was thinking. St. Johns killed us playing 5 out but we didn't have Jackson or Bouk for that game. To play against this lineup definitely feels like a RJ, Bouk, Dre, Martin, Whaley lineup. We need to push pace more without Sanogo in the post.
They killed us playing 5 out because Hurley sat our best weapon the final 12 minutes of the game. So not only did our defense stink at the end of that game, but we couldn't score either. Same thing happened against Creighton when Sanogo was forced to the bench with fouls. As soon as he came out they destroyed us in the paint and we couldn't score or rebound. We need 30+ minutes from Sanogo on Saturday.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Great write-up! Thanks for taking the time.

The more I read about Maryland, the more I feel they're going to be a really tough match-up for us. Our team's 2 biggest strengths this year have been 2-LEVEL DEFENSE and REBOUNDING. Maryland's play style will create problems for us there.

The fact that MD has 5 guys that can play on the perimeter offensively will be a challenge for us defensively. We thrive on our 2-level defense... guards defending aggressively on the perimeter and switching, overplaying a bit and recovering knowing they have shot-blockers behind them protecting the rim. Maryland's bigs being on the perimeter will open up space in the lane for their driving guards.

I think back to when we struggled in the Creighton game... their bigs (Mahoney, Bishop, and Jefferson) spent a lot of time on the perimeter offensively, pulling Sanogo and Whaley out of the paint. Zegarowski and Bishop then had their way driving into the lane and bullying our guys 1v1 for buckets... with no shot-blockers there to help out.
That style of play (pulling the bigs out of the paint) also hurt our rebounding. Our bigs were not near the hoop to rebound vs Creighton because they were guarding on the perimeter... and when they did recover to the paint, they went for blocks, leaving them out of position for rebounds.

By all accounts, Maryland will play very similar to this. Their offensive strengths (5-out offense, opening space in the paint, driving guards) conflict with our strengths of aggressive 2-level defending and rebounding.

On the other side of the ball... they're a solid defensive team and likely will play the BIG10 DPOY on our best offensive weapon (Bouk). Hopefully we can get enough from Sanogo down low to overcome that.... but he needs to stay out of foul trouble. And at this point, we don't know if Cole will play due to concussion protocol.
We saw first-hand how bad we looked on offense when Bouk isn't cooking and with Cole out.

Teams pulling our bigs out and attacking the rim on penetration has been our nemesis all year. It’s critical that we do not hard hedge unless with Whaley when he is at the 4. Cannot leave the paint open. These guys score at the rim, look at that chart. I see that we defend the 3 better on the same side they shoot it better (Martin‘s defensive assignment).

If we make the mistake we made against St. John’s and play small to match up, we will likely lose this game. I think we need to overwhelm them inside with size and offensive rebounding on the offensive end. On defense, protect that rim and surrender the 3 if we have to. Force them to go bigger.

Reaction Score
Agree. I think Maryland's D is not great either. I am feeling pretty good about this game as long was we don't try to match their style. Make Maryland adjust to us, not the other way around.

They have the easier job. By not contesting offensive rebounds, they effectively negate any ability we have to run.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
They have the easier job. By not contesting offensive rebounds, they effectively negate any ability we have to run.

This. Maryland gets back on defense (they are the worst in the field at offensive rebounding) and our opportunity for open transition shots is going to be slim to none. We should push it off live ball turnovers or long rebounds if we have numbers, but will have to control the pace otherwise. We need to be deliberate with our shots, dominate down low but focus on getting our shooters going early. It was great to have Sanogo dominating early vs Creighton, but we didn't get the rest of our offense into the game. When he was forced out with fouls, the rest of our offense was ice cold. Need to get an early lather for Cole and Martin. Hit a few open shots in the first few minutes. Then start feeding the post.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
They killed us playing 5 out because Hurley sat our best weapon the final 12 minutes of the game. So not only did our defense stink at the end of that game, but we couldn't score either. Same thing happened against Creighton when Sanogo was forced to the bench with fouls. As soon as he came out they destroyed us in the paint and we couldn't score or rebound. We need 30+ minutes from Sanogo on Saturday.
I know this is a two camp topic on the board. I agree with defense first philosophically and if you can't stay in front of your man you can't stay on the court. We have the benefit of hindsight on what that did to us on the offensive end. Having BAdams play the role of Bouk in that scenario explains alot of the offensive outage. This time around I think its a more viable strategy to have Adama off the floor.

That being said, this board will be in full meltdown mode if we play that way and lose.

Reaction Score
@auror .Excellent data/overview.. Seems like a Nova-oriented offensive scheme .Our secondary scorers are going to have to provide support to Bouk if he gets taken out of his game by Morsall ..

Boards and D.. Make those FTs.

Reaction Score
Teams pulling our bigs out and attacking the rim on penetration has been our nemesis all year. It’s critical that we do not hard hedge unless with Whaley when he is at the 4. Cannot leave the paint open. These guys score at the rim, look at that chart. I see that we defend the 3 better on the same side they shoot it better (Martin‘s defensive assignment).

If we make the mistake we made against St. John’s and play small to match up, we will likely lose this game. I think we need to overwhelm them inside with size and offensive rebounding on the offensive end. On defense, protect that rim and surrender the 3 if we have to. Force them to go bigger.

Dare I say it...would this be a good game to mix in some zone/match-up zone?

Reaction Score
I think 100% it is, but I doubt we do it. I read some Maryland boards that said they were glad we play man because they struggle with zone. Mediocre but willing guard shooting, no rebounding, want to drive. Seems perfect for zone.

Reaction Score
Yes we've been awful finishing in the paint. The one heat spot near the basket is definitely Adama's favorite spot. Cole, Polley, Gaffney, and Adams were abysmal in the paint this year. Martin was bad for a while but has gotten better as the season has gone on. Carlton and Whaley (and still Martin) should be a bit better based on their height.
Spot on. Cole has Alterique Gilbert syndrome in that he constantly finds himself too deep in the post on drives and then gets stuffed. Polley is pretty awful around the rim but honestly, I'm willing to let him miss a few because his drives at least keep his man honest. Gaffney is 85% decent finishes at the rim and 15% "w.t.f was that". Martin is so hit or miss that it's actually insane. If he weren't such a good offensive rebounder I think it would be even more ridiculous how many bunnies he misses. Not knocking the kid too much as I love everything about him and the A-town boys need to stick together, but he'd be the ultimate college swiss army knife with slightly better finishing.

Reaction Score
Offensively it's going to be important to watch how many three pointers we attempt, Maryland as you said loves to switch, they'll switch almost everything one through 4, depending on their lineup one through 5. With their defenders sitting in driving lanes, it's going to be easy to fall in love with three's and with these guys they recover QUICK and contest. This was a massive problem for us against Villanova who obviously played a similar style of defense, we shot almost as many three's (27) as we did two's (28), for our team and how we want to play that is not a recipe for success. Other things to watch offensively, Sanogo against post doubles (his passing out of the post is still developing obviously has not been great against double teams), roll and replace with Polley (Maryland has struggled against this all year), and our screen game strategy specifically the usage of slips, multiple screens (screening the screener, double ball screens, double screen into a flare etc.), (Maryland occasionally has shown to have communication problems against this), and ghost screens (we'll run this with occasionally with Bouknight but it's typically a ghost screen into a flare screen, against Villanova the initial ghost screen would generate space for Bouknight but by running him off the flare we made it easier for Villanova to recover and switch by bringing the extra defender we need to either have the screener slip the flare in this situation or just ditch the flare all together, ditching it gives Bouknight more space on the catch).

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

5 out is a stupid offensive approach and it is easier to fastbreak against than more traditional offenses. Every 5 out set ends with one or two offensive players in the corners. The corner is as far away from being back on defense as one can get and still be on the court. Also, by not having a contested rebound, the defense's outlet pass is that much faster and can be more aggressive up the court.

The Heat making the NBA finals last year should have been the final nail in the coffin of 5 out small ball, but too many coaches are too stuck in their ways to understand that 5 out basketball represents a gross misunderstanding of the underlying probabilities.

Reaction Score
5 out is a stupid offensive approach and it is easier to fastbreak against than more traditional offenses. Every 5 out set ends with one or two offensive players in the corners. The corner is as far away from being back on defense as one can get and still be on the court. Also, by not having a contested rebound, the defense's outlet pass is that much faster and can be more aggressive up the court.

The Heat making the NBA finals last year should have been the final nail in the coffin of 5 out small ball, but too many coaches are too stuck in their ways to understand that 5 out basketball represents a gross misunderstanding of the underlying probabilities.
They are 331st in defensive tempo. Other teams are not successful in getting short possessions against Maryland. So whether or not you think it's easy, it has not happened.

They may have 1 guy in the corner, but that guy is getting guarded by someone who is taken out also. So then you're left with 4 guys in front of the ball and the opposing 4 guys.

Reaction Score
NW isnt considered a bad loss?
Judging by KenPom on the road it's not. They were top 70, so it's actually an 'A' game. I get that people might have other opinions on it based on this B1G possibly inflated season, though. NET it was top 100 road game so Q2, about the same as losing to Providence or Marquette on the road.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Great write-up! Thanks for taking the time.

The more I read about Maryland, the more I feel they're going to be a really tough match-up for us. Our team's 2 biggest strengths this year have been 2-LEVEL DEFENSE and REBOUNDING. Maryland's play style will create problems for us there.

The fact that MD has 5 guys that can play on the perimeter offensively will be a challenge for us defensively. We thrive on our 2-level defense... guards defending aggressively on the perimeter and switching, overplaying a bit and recovering knowing they have shot-blockers behind them protecting the rim. Maryland's bigs being on the perimeter will open up space in the lane for their driving guards.

I think back to when we struggled in the Creighton game... their bigs (Mahoney, Bishop, and Jefferson) spent a lot of time on the perimeter offensively, pulling Sanogo and Whaley out of the paint. Zegarowski and Bishop then had their way driving into the lane and bullying our guys 1v1 for buckets... with no shot-blockers there to help out.
That style of play (pulling the bigs out of the paint) also hurt our rebounding. Our bigs were not near the hoop to rebound vs Creighton because they were guarding on the perimeter... and when they did recover to the paint, they went for blocks, leaving them out of position for rebounds.

By all accounts, Maryland will play very similar to this. Their offensive strengths (5-out offense, opening space in the paint, driving guards) conflict with our strengths of aggressive 2-level defending and rebounding.

On the other side of the ball... they're a solid defensive team and likely will play the BIG10 DPOY on our best offensive weapon (Bouk). Hopefully we can get enough from Sanogo down low to overcome that.... but he needs to stay out of foul trouble. And at this point, we don't know if Cole will play due to concussion protocol.
We saw first-hand how bad we looked on offense when Bouk isn't cooking and with Cole out.
Sadly. Akok was made for this matchup.

Reaction Score

you talking about the heat team that played significant playoff minutes with andre iguodala and solomon hill at center??

in the nba, corner threes are probably the most valued shot outside of a layup/dunk. they are closer than a wing or top-of-the-key three on the nba court and certain players (e.g. pj tucker) practice them religiously and can hit open ones at a rate of 50-percent or better. it's obviously not the same in college (it's a different court and overall skill level) but having shooters in the corners isn't going away any time soon...

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I think 100% it is, but I doubt we do it. I read some Maryland boards that said they were glad we play man because they struggle with zone. Mediocre but willing guard shooting, no rebounding, want to drive. Seems perfect for zone.

Yes. Won’t be the first time. Some day he will do it. For those thinking we need to pull Sanogo, I think Sanogo is the biggest advantage we have in this game. He should lead the team in scoring and pull down 10+ boards.

Scoring inside is like running the ball in football. You do it until they show they can stop it. Relentlessly. It’s demoralizing for the other team. I don’t think they can stop it. I don’t think we can count in Bouk going off for 20+ against the B1G DPOY. He might, but relying on it is unwise.

Reaction Score
Good point. Sanogo was the difference for us vs STJ until he took a seat on the bench. He was a matchup problem for STJ and should be against Maryland too. If Josh brings his A game when he spells Adama we should own them inside.

Reaction Score
I know this is a two camp topic on the board. I agree with defense first philosophically and if you can't stay in front of your man you can't stay on the court. We have the benefit of hindsight on what that did to us on the offensive end. Having BAdams play the role of Bouk in that scenario explains alot of the offensive outage. This time around I think its a more viable strategy to have Adama off the floor.

That being said, this board will be in full meltdown mode if we play that way and lose.
Could have stopped after the bold part, the board will be in full meltdown mode whether we play that way and win or lose. At least a certain handful of posters

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom