Not open for further replies.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I didnt know NC State was in the hunt... who are their top players

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
I think the key name to know is not a player, but their coach Wes Moore. who had a nice career at Chattanooga before moving over to NC State. I think his career winning percentage is top 10.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I don't know any of their top players, but isn't their current HC a guy who just took the team over recently? Basically doing all this with kids he didn't recruit. Their last coach was former Tennessee star Kellie Jolly-Harper - was she fired or did she quit?

Reaction Score
Markeisha Gatling (17 pts 6 reb/game) and Kody Burke (15 pts and 6 reb/game)

Reaction Score
Yes Moore has taken Kelly jolly harpers team and turned them into ACC contenders.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Gatling is a force, cant think of anyone in the ACC who can matchup with her size wise.

Reaction Score
is anyone implying Harper deserves credit because she recruited most the of team ?

Last edited:

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Yes. Wes Moore is coaching Harpers team. They are all her recruits. Shows what you can do with someone else's payers.

My point,

He can coach!

My minor point, well, you can figure it out.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
ok... thanks for the replies.

guess this coach needs a raise!

loneycafe

Go Pack! #GTHC
Reaction Score
Just saw this. In case you're interested, I posted a summary of the difference between the State team under Harper and under Moore on Pack Pride. State was probably a little too high at No. 10 in the country, but still impressed by State's ability to put themselves in a position to win against a UNC team that is much more athletic and that was shooting lights out. One criticism for Coach Moore in yesterday's game, which he said so himself, is that he probably waited too late to switch the defense to deny DeShields the ball.

Anyway, here's what I posted on Pack Pride for State fans who joined the bandwagon late in the season:

Regarding the questions about the differences in coaches. This has been discussed throughout the season on the Olympics board, but here are highlights:

-- Moore's 4-out, 1-in offense runs through Gatling first and then Burke and then the guards; Harper's version was guard-oriented and Gatling was mainly used as a decoy and to set screens.
-- Moore uses different defenses (including various traps and zones and junk defenses); Harper rarely did.
-- Moore has a tighter rotation (going about seven players a game); Harper went as many as nine deep and had inconsistent substitution patterns, which contributed to problems with lack of rhythm on offense.
-- Moore brought discipline, both on the court and off. He doesn't put up with crap, and he nips things in the bud as soon as they pop up. Discipline was needed; even the players have openly said that was lacking before.
-- Moore's practices are much more intense.
-- Moore placed an emphasis on conditioning, which Harper had even said wasn't her strength.
-- Moore doesn't have favorites. He plays who has earned it and who is needed to win the game, and he and the coaching staff work to bring out the best in all the players.
-- Moore has confidence, and he has instilled it in his team and players. He believes in them, and they believe in them and in each other.

Moore is an exceptional coach. I'd say he is the second-best coach in the ACC right now, behind McGraw, and she gets the first spot because of her resume (NCAA title and multiple Final Fours). (Jeff Walz will be up there, too, when Louisville joins the ACC next season.)

Moore's great coaching ability, though, is greatly helped this season by having a very experienced group of players who were hungry to win and who welcomed the breath of fresh air. They are much more relaxed than they have been in the past, and that affects the product on the floor, too.

loneycafe

Go Pack! #GTHC
Reaction Score
I don't know any of their top players, but isn't their current HC a guy who just took the team over recently? Basically doing all this with kids he didn't recruit. Their last coach was former Tennessee star Kellie Jolly-Harper - was she fired or did she quit?

Fired.

Reaction Score
Is David Thompson still playing there? I loved his 44" vertical. :)

David Thompson, Monte Towe, Tom Burleson, Steve Neuse, Mo Rivers and a player who went on to have a very nice career in another sport, Tim Stoddard.

Reaction Score
Yes. Wes Moore is coaching Harpers team. They are all her recruits. Shows what you can do with someone else's payers.

My point,

He can coach!

My minor point, well, you can figure it out.

Either that or Ms Jolly was a season away from turning it all around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom