10 Games In: A few scattered thoughts | The Boneyard

10 Games In: A few scattered thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The story of the season will be floor spacing and perimeter defense.

On the first, I'm not sure there's an easy answer - though Purvis has looked good these past couple of games, and I think Hamilton will improve. Regardless, we won't be the devastating end-of-shotclock team we were last year with Bazz, Boat, Niels & DD on the floor. So we don't score as well as we could/will eventually.

More disappointing has been the sporadic perimeter defense, from everyone including Boat & Samuel. Purvis & Cassell are net negatives on that end, full stop, while Hamilton has shown good on-ball ability but gets lost off the ball (like all freshmen). Omar looked lively today, but I'm still taking a wait-and-see. When these guys get beat off the dribble - and it's been happening a lot - it forces rotations from the bigs that they're not really equipped for (and that gets Brimah in foul trouble, which kills us on both ends).

The good news is that 1) we've shown for 20-minute stretches that we can play elite defense, especially when Boat is in "duck_k you" mode; 2) the Brimah & Facey combo protects the hell out of the rim; and 3) both of Ollie's previous teams have improved defensively over the course of the season. I expect this one will, too.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A few more:

We attack the zone better than previous UConn teams because of Hamilton. When he flashes to the foul line he becomes a triple-threat, and is incredibly good at finding lobs to baseline cutters. I actually like when teams go zone vs. us because it forces us to get him touches in dangerous spots.

Facey is obviously "most improved," and is starting to remind me a lot of Roscoe, but with better (too much?) understanding of his own limitations. I'd love for KO to start designing a few plays per game on the block for him, because his footwork is better than expected.

Samuel's lack of a jumper has hurt us when he's in for the halfcourt. He doesn't have to be Ray Allen out there, but it'd be nice if he got himself into "Kevin Ollie" territory. Defenders sag 5-6 feet off of him.

We still rebound with 5 because Amida is still a poor rebounder. So we'll win a lot of rebounding battles, but in the process we're just not a danger on the break.

The secondary break, however, shows promise. It's especially good when Hamilton picks up a long rebound and pushes while Purvis drifts to the corner.

Free throws have killed us. Karmic payback for our otherworldly run in the tournament last year, I guess.

Cassell has been a big disappointment after a decent preseason. I expected him to shoot a higher percentage since he's a complimentary piece, but even in that role he's just been a bricklayer. He's also clearly below average athletically, which limits his defensive & dribble penetration impact. If his jumper's not falling, he has no spot out there.

To that end, missing out on Josh Perkins last year really stings. There's no clear secondary ball-handler in the halfcourt, which is nearly always fatal for college teams.

If the Omar of today (and of 2012-13) is what we'll get for the rest of the season, that makes us significantly better off the bench (duh). Right now we're 7 men deep, with neither of the bench options (Samuel & Nolan) providing any attacking push. Omar does that, and absolutely kills smaller defenders in mid-range. Yes, I'm thinking of the Yale loss right now.

Boat is a warrior, and has largely played smart and unselfish basketball in the halfcourt. His evolution since his freshman season on that end is one of Ollie's greatest feats, and one of the biggest reasons I'm bullish on the future of the program.

Lubin will need an even bigger evolution to become a contributor at UConn's level.

Nolan is underappreciated on this board. He gets to his spot early in the post and battles, handles the pick-and-roll better than anyone on the roster, and draws charges at Battier-esque rates. We're not "too good" for a guy like that.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A conference title and Sweet 16 are reasonable expectations for this team, should we avoid injuries. Anything beyond that would be gravy unless we get an incredibly kind break in the draw, or unless Hamilton realizes his destiny a year early and morphs into Brandon Roy by the end of his freshman season (seriously, that's the right comparison for him).

I, like everyone else, am not happy with the record. A healthy Purvis has us at 8-2 with no bad losses, and if we win two more recruiting battles (Perkins, Chuckwu) maybe we're 10-0.

But... oh well. The pieces are there for this to be a top 15 team, and Ollie's shown the ability to get his teams playing their best ball at the right time.

So bring on the AAC.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
I expect Lubin to lose a lot of weight, gain muscle, and improve his quickness. Facey is improving each and every game, his confidence is soaring, the kid has so much bounce and energy. Brimah needs to rebound better and work on his lateral quickness defensively as well as dribbling better when he is posting up. hamilton is a stud and his game is getting better every game he may need to get another move if teams cut off the lane when he spins. Purvis is playing very well as of late and I'm glad to see omar playing and playing fairly well for the minutes he has been given. Samuel is extremely quick and if we can get more consistent scorers both inside and out he'll make an excellent distributor.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Samuel has a nice form on his shot. Was it Hobbs who worked with kemba to improve his so drastically? I would like that to happen with Samuel

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
I es
I expect Lubin to lose a lot of weight, gain muscle, and improve his quickness. Facey is improving each and every game, his confidence is soaring, the kid has so much bounce and energy. Brimah needs to rebound better and work on his lateral quickness defensively as well as dribbling better when he is posting up. hamilton is a stud and his game is getting better every game he may need to get another move if teams cut off the lane when he spins. Purvis is playing very well as of late and I'm glad to see omar playing and playing fairly well for the minutes he has been given. Samuel is extremely quick and if we can get more consistent scorers both inside and out he'll make an excellent distributor.
I expect that Lubin will smarten up and go out for the football team, make all AAC as defensive end and earn ten million playing for the NY Giants.

Reaction Score
Obviously it was against an inferior opponent, but it was great to see nobody play over 28 minutes.

Reaction Score
Our potential is much better now that Rodney is coming on and of course Facey's improvement. We are still struggling from the perimeter with many wide open looks.

Reaction Score
Got to sit on the floor at the Columbia game. One thing I noticed is that Lubin is even shorter than I thought he was. He had maybe one inch on Omar when they were standing side by side.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Rodney is playing better now so Rock Lubin will be the guy everyone is throwing stones at now! He's a work in progress can we give him some time here before we throw him in the abyss?

We have to cycle through everyone in the roster at some point... :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Rodney is playing better now so Rock Lubin will be the guy everyone is throwing stones at now! He's a work in progress can we give him some time here before we throw him in the abyss?
My handle is a 4 year project

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Lubin = Boo Willingham but shorter.

Lubin is Eric Hayward who backed up Travis Knight. Lubin really needs 2-3 years to reshape his body. His legs, especially his calves are very thick. It's tough to explode when you have a bunch of weight below the waist (I know this to be a fact).

He's a four year player and if he drops the baby fat and gets down to 240-245 lbs he will be very good by the time he is a junior or senior. Right now he is too slow off of his feet to be effective consistently. He shows potential and no one should write off his career.

Horatio

15 years no Madden
Reaction Score
Lubin = Boo Willingham but shorter.

No!!!! Lubin = Bruh man from the fifth floor.
image.jpg
image.jpg

Reaction Score
whats up with the constant ball up pump fake only once everever per sequence, which fools not even fools and it becoming a nonbecoming habitual by notnewrip everever

it two stix like and that never accomplished anything except looking panic stix stricken sticks

dis version ham slipping in pressure cooker wit too much fat and not enuf meet; another oh for game from 3pt vil, dis dude gots more bluebary turnovers than appaloosa

dis sledteam need wes balosuknia trng prog bad

Reaction Score
I'm 6'5 and stood next to Rock at the Columbia game 6'6 tops. They keep listing him at 6'8 way off.

Reaction Score
concur don34; based on gals vs boys tip off on tv i pegged this ricky less recruit at sixfootsysixinch

on tv vs central observed this man near tsam and there was some motions at time but those to looked similar in height; what they doin in huskyville; shrinking dudes but concurrently increasing hite listings in official documents; what the hey

husky brass must think it fools somebody, maybe they tell recruits this is benefit to matriculate stores but it aint workin wit all the whiffs this semester because they forgot to tell recruits to never stand next to dude with similar legit height listing; too bad

Reaction Score
Lubin is Eric Hayward who backed up Travis Knight. Lubin really needs 2-3 years to reshape his body. His legs, especially his calves are very thick. It's tough to explode when you have a bunch of weight below the waist (I know this to be a fact).

He's a four year player and if he drops the baby fat and gets down to 240-245 lbs he will be very good by the time he is a junior or senior. Right now he is too slow off of his feet to be effective consistently. He shows potential and no one should write off his career.

At this point that is an insult to the Big E. Hayward was a top 70ish recruit and was essentially either the starter or backup at C for four years. He was a very good defender, mean, and didn't miss when he took a shot (think he has the career FG % record). Yes, he turned out to be an absolute , but he was a solid four year contributor. You knew you would get 3-4 points, 3-4 rebounds, and 3-4 fouls every game.

Lubin has some potential. But he looks a step slow right now. He's not sure where he is supposed to be and lacks the instincts. He does have some pretty good athleticism and there is something to work with. But the pre-season Lubin hype and countless Jeff Adrien comps were totally off base and contrary to the familiar rebuttal on this board when he committed, there is a reason that he was not/lower ranked and that there was very little said about him by the "experts."

Reaction Score
Lubin looks like all muscle to be but I probably have a high tolerance for fat these days or as I like to call it, loose muscle.
Wouldn't call Samuel quick but he is very strong with the ball when he drives to the rim and plays good defense. He is getting the right amount of PT IMO. He reminds me of Taliek except that Samuel can finish and make FTs.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Lubin looks like all muscle to be but I probably have a high tolerance for fat these days or as I like to call it, loose muscle.
Wouldn't call Samuel quick but he is very strong with the ball when he drives to the rim and plays good defense. He is getting the right amount of PT IMO. He reminds me of Taliek except that Samuel can finish and make FTs.
When I say quick I'm referring to his lateral quickness and overall quickness on defense. If he tightens up his handle he'll be a blur with the ball

Reaction Score
I'm not sure sure why this tured into a Lubin thread, but I love the original post by Matrim55. Quickly regarding Lubin, he's just not ready right now for this level of basketball. Maybe in 2-3 years he will be, but it's clear that we need to keep recruiting bigs. As to the core of this team, I'm liking what I've been seeing the last few games, primarily from Purvis and Facey. Purvis doesn't need to be a knock down shooter, but if he is a threat from deep that is huge. He's shot the ball better than he will going forward, but so long as he plays with the confidence he's playing with right now I think we will be dangerous. When he was hurt, our biggest issue was scoring, believe it or not. I'm seeing more scoring options, and better shot selection in the past few games, albeit not against the top competition. The Temple game comes at a good time, after a few good wins, but with the Duke loss still in their mouth. I won't talk about the rest of the AAC for now :(

caw

Reaction Score
Brimahs shot has been surprisingly good. He still turns mostly in one direction in the post though and lacks any sort of counter move. Still adding the jumper and being more comfortable has been a huge between season development. It will be fun to see how he develops the rest of the year and over the summer. Defensively he needs to be get stronger but his shot blocking is still outstanding.

Facey seems to be comfortable. He has a ton of athleticism and skill but looked lost all last year. He still looks lost on occasion but he's much better.

Samuel seems to be abLe to hit any jumper (not to be confused with actually hitting every single one) inside the three point line but has issues outside that line.

Calhoun already looks more confident than last year. Hopefully he can continue to grow and get comfortable. Having him as a weapon off the bench could be a game changer.

Boatright appears to have taken the Walker/Napier leap. If I was a PG in high school I know I would have UConn high on my list of schools.

Nolan doesn't seem to have changed much. Still flashes really solid post moves without any ability to actually make the layup. Still drawing charges and playing solid defense in the post and on pick and rolls. Has issues with mobile bigs who can drag him out of the post and drive.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
At this point that is an insult to the Big E. Hayward was a top 70ish recruit and was essentially either the starter or backup at C for four years. He was a very good defender, mean, and didn't miss when he took a shot (think he has the career FG % record). Yes, he turned out to be an absolute , but he was a solid four year contributor. You knew you would get 3-4 points, 3-4 rebounds, and 3-4 fouls every game.

Lubin has some potential. But he looks a step slow right now. He's not sure where he is supposed to be and lacks the instincts. He does have some pretty good athleticism and there is something to work with. But the pre-season Lubin hype and countless Jeff Adrien comps were totally off base and contrary to the familiar rebuttal on this board when he committed, there is a reason that he was not/lower ranked and that there was very little said about him by the "experts."

I don't think it's a stretch for Lubin to average 3-4 points and 3-4 rebounds a game by his junior/senior season.

With this one giant caveat. He has to drop some pounds and improve his conditioning. He can't get off the floor right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CT2SC

Top Bottom