10 Games In: A few scattered thoughts | Page 2 | The Boneyard

10 Games In: A few scattered thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I don't think it's a stretch for Lubin to average 3-4 points and 3-4 rebounds a game by his junior/senior season.

With this one giant caveat. He has to drop some pounds and improve his conditioning. He can't get off the floor right now.

Nor do I... But Hayward was doing that from day one. Not a fair comparison to equate frosh Lubin to frosh Hayward. Lubin just needs to learn how to play and like you said get into much better shape. He's a big dude, but he doesn't have any explosiveness at all. He's also not close to 6-8 as was mentioned earlier in the thread. Tough to be that undersized PF type without either some athleticism or some old man game to get you by. Lubin doesn't really have either.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
expanding on Amida being a bad rebounder... What happens is that he sells out for the block on defense which leaves his man there for the board... on the flip side he blocks a lot of shots and teams are also very hesitant to put up any shot in the paint or even outside the paint within 5 feet up him; so it's give and take.

Samuel nor Cassell should even be in our rotation right now but we have to play them with our depth issues. I hope recruits do not look at our roster and see a whole bunch of sophomore guards and write us off because i'm really not in love with any or our 2s. Rodney still has to prove to me that he can play under control and he needs to tighten up that handle. I've been impressed with him on the defensive end and with his longer range shots thus far though.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
Lubin strikes me as more of an Eric Hayward type of player. He hasn't made me laugh enough yet to be considered Boo-caliber.

Reaction Score
Heyward was actually quite athletic for someone of his build. Early in his career he finished with powerful dunks around the rim. As an aside, he was one of the quietest, humble, college ball players you could ever meet.

Reaction Score
Most frustrating part of Amidah is how he is always on the verge of picking up ticky tac fouls. On our very first miss of the game I was shocked he wasn't called for an over the back foul by trying to get a finger tip on a ball he had no chance of getting because the CCSU player had totally boxed him out. He has to be headier and be willing to concede an early game possession versus picking up a foul on a meaningless play. I don't want to call it fake hustle, becausee its not, but by this point I would expect him to avoid the absolute no chance to affect a play foul he is so prone to get.

Reaction Score
I look at this team:

Boat sr
Purv soph
Dham frosh
Facey soph
Brimah soph
Tsam soph
Nolan jr
Omar jr
Lubin frosh

and all i keep thinking is Damn we`re young but we could be really really really good. Next year. Or maybe it comes together by feb/march i just dont know but the potential is there. The starting 5 has played less than ten games together and have looked much improved over the last couple of games. What are they going to look like after game 30 games together? Last season we werent looking very good going into march and this team came out and played nothing like the team we saw most of last season. I dont know about national titles but i would not be surprised if this team is really clicking going into the tourney and ends up knocking off one of the favorites.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Good original post, although I disagree with the conclusion. Uconn is not close to a Sweet 16 team right now. Uconn is an NIT team unless either Brimah or UConn's outside shooting get a lot better.

Reaction Score
Good original post, although I disagree with the conclusion. Uconn is not close to a Sweet 16 team right now. Uconn is an NIT team unless either Brimah or UConn's outside shooting get a lot better.

Nelson do you have any positive thoughts on the state of UConn basketball? Your post are always doom and gloom

Reaction Score
I look at this team:

Boat sr
Purv soph
Dham frosh
Facey soph
Brimah soph
Tsam soph
Nolan jr
Omar jr
Lubin frosh

and all i keep thinking is Damn we`re young but we could be really really really good. Next year. Or maybe it comes together by feb/march i just dont know but the potential is there. The starting 5 has played less than ten games together and have looked much improved over the last couple of games. What are they going to look like after game 30 games together? Last season we werent looking very good going into march and this team came out and played nothing like the team we saw most of last season. I dont know about national titles but i would not be surprised if this team is really clicking going into the tourney and ends up knocking off one of the favorites.
Considering today's game this team isn't any younger than most. But I agree that we could surprise some if we are really clicking. We haven't seen it yet but our best ball is ahead of us. I think tomorrow"s game will be a good indicator. Are moving in the right direction or a hit or miss season.

Reaction Score
I
Nelson do you have any positive thoughts on the state of UConn basketball? Your post are always doom and gloom
I would love to have positive thoughts believe me and maybe one is just how hard we fought after losing our best player, but Nelson is just being real here. We have no threats from the outside that would make any team worry. Today 1 for 9 that's 11%, but against decent competition we're what about 25%? The sad thing is that our big men are getting the job done. I do not fault the effort on this team just the talent in shooting skills and what can you do about that really?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CT2SC

Top Bottom