1 million viewers | Page 2 | The Boneyard

1 million viewers

Reaction Score
To me, this is good news for both FOX and ESPN/ABC. Let's be honest that ESPN has been promoting WCBB for a while and the fruits of their efforts are paying off and should be great for the NCAAT.

Having such a high profile rivalry helps but budding programs like Indiana, Iowa and old stalwarts like Stanford, LSU and Texas can help build the viewership more.
Good points, DefenseBB, although I might not call the perennially strong Iowa program 'budding.' The Hawkeyes haven't won a national title, but they've been in the NCAA tournament 28 of the last 36 years... just more people paying attention at the moment because of Caitlin Clark.

Reaction Score
i am delighted that the broadcast attracted over a million viewers! Good for the game, great for the players. I wish more games, Uconn and other teams, gain greater national coverage and viewership. More women’s basketball programs need to become “profitable”.
Absolutely. This is the key to both sustainability and, more importantly, expanding the game.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
LSU is an old stalwart in WBB? I was not aware of this.
They were pretty good in the days of Sylvia Fowles and Simone Augustus. The (late) coach at that time might be in the Hall of Fame. She coached there a long time, I think.

That said, I agree that LSU does not pop up quickly when thinking of old stalwarts.

Reaction Score
SC doesn't need luck to beat LSU. They are a complete team, and LSU isn't. LSU' has got the inside game to hang with SC, and so the volleyball that SC played against UConn probably won't happen, but LSU is paper thin at other positions...

Reaction Score
Isn’t this Stat referring to 1.087 million households? In my home we had 3 fervant sets of eyeballs engaged and rooting like crazy when we weren’t screaming at the refs.
No, it is estimated average viewers. I have not seen any household ratings for this game.

Reaction Score
Locals - Print and staple/tape this to trees and telephone poles in Bristol.

Flyers put on car windshields work too.
Better yet staple them them to ESPN employees windshields.

Reaction Score
Are perennial powerhouses good or bad for the game? SC, UConn, Stanford have been the big three of late. A few others have had dominant stretches, though perhaps not so sustained. But the number has tended to be small. I wonder if it’s the same in MBB, or in other sports.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
I bet ESPN is hoping that the brackets are set up such that next time UConn and South Carolina meet up it will be in the finals.
SC taking care of business with LSU could help in that regard.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Are perennial powerhouses good or bad for the game? SC, UConn, Stanford have been the big three of late. A few others have had dominant stretches, though perhaps not so sustained. But the number has tended to be small. I wonder if it’s the same in MBB, or in other sports.
I mean if you qualify of "late" as the last 35 or so years, then Yeah.
Tennessee was always a power in back in the AIAW days (pre-1982) and won their 1st NCAA title in 1987. Tara and Stanford won their first title in 1990. And UConn won their first title in 1995.

WCBB has really only been an established sport by schools since 1982 (NCAA 1st title) whereas Men's was established in 1939.

The Wiki pages will show Final Four and team appearances which will give a great overview of programs that have had sustained success during periods of the 42 years. Tennessee, as stated is still relevant, Stanford came onto the scene shortly after Tennessee and then UConn made their first FF in 1991.

I guess with so many new posters, I need to update the Conference and NCAAT history threads I produced a couple of years ago to show the perennial programs.

Reaction Score
I mean if you qualify of "late" as the last 35 or so years, then Yeah.
Tennessee was always a power in back in the AIAW days (pre-1982) and won their 1st NCAA title in 1987. Tara and Stanford won their first title in 1990. And UConn won their first title in 1995.

WCBB has really only been an established sport by schools since 1982 (NCAA 1st title) whereas Men's was established in 1939.

The Wiki pages will show Final Four and team appearances which will give a great overview of programs that have had sustained success during periods of the 42 years. Tennessee, as stated is still relevant, Stanford came onto the scene shortly after Tennessee and then UConn made their first FF in 1991.

I guess with so many new posters, I need to update the Conference and NCAAT history threads I produced a couple of years ago to show the perennial programs.
That's helpful. But even more helpful would be hearing your opinion about the tendency to coalesce around a small number of perennially dominant programs at a time. I was thinking it was about recruiting for and building team culture in a sustainable way. Perhaps you have a different sense of this. Am I wrong in thinking it's usually less than 4 schools?

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
They were pretty good in the days of Sylvia Fowles and Simone Augustus. The (late) coach at that time might be in the Hall of Fame. She coached there a long time, I think.

That said, I agree that LSU does not pop up quickly when thinking of old stalwarts.
5 FF with three different coaches Sue Gunter 2004, Pokey Chapman 2005-7, and Van Chancellor 2008 - something Pat never achieved, though TN pretty much owned LSU.

Reaction Score
Never great, but solid years ago.

It was nice to see them get a sellout toed against Tenn. WBB needs sellout crowds.Kim has created a growth market and Cajuns love a winner.

Will be interesting what tv numbers their visit to a sold out CLA in Columbia generates.
Super Bowl Sunday…..might even help viewership.

Reaction Score
SC doesn't need luck to beat LSU. They are a complete team, and LSU isn't. LSU' has got the inside game to hang with SC, and so the volleyball that SC played against UConn probably won't happen, but LSU is paper thin at other positions...
LSU has great guard play also, 3 exceptional players in the backcourt.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom