#1 guard of 2012 Moriah Jefferson--- New youtube video--Compilations of her games.. | The Boneyard

#1 guard of 2012 Moriah Jefferson--- New youtube video--Compilations of her games..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
What's up Huskies fam.. Ive been a husky fan since the Lobo days, and i finally post here for the first time ever.. :)) I secretly stalk you guys on this forum..lol.. anyway:

Here are two video compilations of her games in high school and with Moriah's AAU ballclub which wont he Nike Tournament this summer... check them out... This is the best point guard, period..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gsjw9Yc9Kf8&feature=related (Nike Tournament)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQbstNCiuW0&feature=related (2007-2011 THESA yrs)

Reaction Score
Flat out she is better than Skylar Diggins...So as far as the Big East goes, the best point guard will be Moriah.. Her speedy, agility, discipline with the ball is second to none in this class (2012), and the next three classes coming. What's great about her is her basketball ethics. Some scoring pg's like to score first, then pass, or shoot, then pass. Geno, being notorious for taking his elite recruits out of their comfort zone on the court, will definitely challenge Moriah to rebound more, play better defense (like if she doesn't play superior defense already..lol) Moriah will be the Chris Paul or John Wall on college basketball.. Anyone can really score, but her overall skills are just too raw for me to see any other pg challenge her in the college ranks.. :) can't freaakkiinn wait...

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Welcome to the posting world! Great start. Funny, but I thought she was lefthanded all this time. Don't know why.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
great stuff. i checked out the videos and several things stood out to me...

1. She is just as happy to pass as she is to shoot
  2. In addition, she has great court vision in finding teammates
  3. She has incredible quickness and speed
  4. She has a sweet 3 point shot as well as a very nice pull up jumper
  5. She will be a beast on defense
like you, i'm very excited about landing her...

Reaction Score
Mo is a complete player who can do it all! The 2012 class is going to make UCONN a dominant team once again. Then hopefully Diamond in 2013 is going to add another weapon.

Olde Coach

Rip, Olde Coach
Reaction Score
What's up Huskies fam.. Ive been a husky fan since the Lobo days, and i finally post here for the first time ever.. :)) I secretly stalk you guys on this forum..lol.. anyway:

Moriah Jefferson is my friend on facebook and she put up two video compilations of her games in high school and with her AAU ballclub which wont he Nike Tournament this summer... check them out... This is the best point guard, period..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQbstNCiuW0&feature=related (2007-2011 THESA yrs)

Holy Samoli:

Moriah has to be the quickest guard ever in college basketball. She can dribble through traffic with the ball so low that defenders have no chance of stealing or even deflecting the ball. Her cross-over steps and direction changes are unbelievably quick. And that 360 degree shooting move is just ridiculous.

With Moriah, Bre, and Morgan coming in next year, UConn is going to have unbelievable talent, depth, and speed.

Thanks for the videos.

OC

I can't wait to see the Huskies' 2012-13 "show".

Reaction Score
Just to clarify my post: for the record:

1. I am a former basketball player / Doing my masters at NYU in Sports Business Management
2. Moriah and I are friends on FB, and those two videos i posted here, she created them herself, she created her own youtube account, and she posted her videos to the public.
3. I would only reference Moriah, Breanna, and Morgan as big east candidates until they sign their letter of intent. :)

Reaction Score
Thanks for posting these! In my opinion, her signing is the biggest since Maya. It gave UCONN a 1-2 punch with a very good Morgan Tuck a bit further down. It also ensured the point will be in good hands after Bria leaves.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
MJ's signing can't be overstated. Not only does she project to be fantastic in and of herself, but UConn making inroads into Texas is a step that's going to make it that much more diffiult for anyone else to keep up. You expected Geno and CD to reel in Breanna Stewart...but not Moriah.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
I also like the fact that Moriah Jefferson's AAU teammate is Brianna Turner!!!!

:)

Reaction Score

Moriah Jefferson is my friend on facebook and she put up two video compilations of her games in high school and with her AAU ballclub which wont he Nike Tournament this summer... check them out... This is the best point guard, period..

Great post, thanks.

Reaction Score
I also like the fact that Moriah Jefferson's AAU teammate is Brianna Turner!!!!

:)
That is the best news of all. If she can pursuade recruits the way KML does then that would be a continued help in recruiting.

Reaction Score
There's obviously a lot of talent there for Geno and Shea to work with, but I wouldn't be surprised if her transition to UConn has its difficulties. That's mostly because I don't think she has had enough experience playing with other great players in a structured environment. She's been cut twice from USA Basketball, although she was playing through an injury the first time around. And while Hoopgurlz went nuts over Moriah getting cut, but based on what I have seen of Moriah which isn't just these two videos I could see how USA Basketball would decide to cut her. That doesn't mean I think Moriah won't play significant minutes as a freshman or have success. I felt somewhat similarly about Bria Hartley, but I thought playing for Jenn in USA Basketball prior to her freshman year helped as well as her experience playing multiple positions besides PG. Geno is just going to be looking to change her style of play and mindset more than other players whose style of play more naturally suits UConn's and/or have experience playing in a structured system for established powerhouse high school teams with other DI teammates. How public those difficulties become will depend on how Geno gauges Mo's personality.

Replicant

Nexus 6 Leader
Reaction Score
Thanks for posting the vids. Now that my jaw has returned to its upright position, I couldn't believe what I was seeing. Her cross-over dribble is pure ankle breaker stuff and she'll be embarrassing countless defenders in the future. She capitalized several times on various defenders fear of her ability to penetrate with an unstoppable step-back and pop. Had no idea she was such a good shooter or had the kind of deep range she showed. And her ability to penetrate the lane at will, under control and through multiple defenders reminds me of another very special player...Derrick Rose.

Reaction Score
There's obviously a lot of talent there for Geno and Shea to work with, but I wouldn't be surprised if her transition to UConn has its difficulties. That's mostly because I don't think she has had enough experience playing with other great players in a structured environment. She's been cut twice from USA Basketball, although she was playing through an injury the first time around. And while Hoopgurlz went nuts over Moriah getting cut, but based on what I have seen of Moriah which isn't just these two videos I could see how USA Basketball would decide to cut her. That doesn't mean I think Moriah won't play significant minutes as a freshman or have success. I felt somewhat similarly about Bria Hartley, but I thought playing for Jenn in USA Basketball prior to her freshman year helped as well as her experience playing multiple positions besides PG. Geno is just going to be looking to change her style of play and mindset more than other players whose style of play more naturally suits UConn's and/or have experience playing in a structured system for established powerhouse high school teams with other DI teammates. How public those difficulties become will depend on how Geno gauges Mo's personality.

It would really worry me if I believed for one minute that when you said:

"Geno is just going to be looking to change her style of play and mindset more than other players whose style of play more naturally suits UConn's"

you were in fact not only expressing your opinion, but also Coach A's perceptions, then I would be really worried. Are you suggesting that we need another Charde type experience?

Another poster has suggested that Moriah is the # 1 PG in the class of 2012. And that she maybe the best PG coming out in the near future at her position.

I find it difficult to believe that at any point in process of recruiting her that anyone ever even hinted about changing her to the extent that you suggested.

I maybe wrong about that. But I seriously doubt it.

Peace,

JohnFryer

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Wow now thats magic. UConn will be putting on a show when Magic Mo arrives. She handles the ball like no girl Ive ever seen. Its going to be fun watching how Geno & Company develop her. Shes special.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
to be accurate, while she was cut from the USA team she tried out for, she was one of the last 3 cut and made the final 15 players. additionally, she was not only competing against kids her own age, but kids 1 and 2 years older. i'm not sure that being one of the final 15 but being cut says much about the type of player she is or how coachable she is. i don't know enough about who she played for or what kind of coaching/experience she has received, but...
  1. I find it difficult to believe Geno would make an error of that magnitude in recruiting the next great PG to UCONN
  2. i saw a player who took pride in her defense, found open players to pass to, and wasn't afraid to take the ball to the basket.
i can see where some fans might be concerned about her experience (being home schooled and not having as much national experience), but does this kid look like someone who will have trouble fitting in with her teammates?! :)

5069591921174AFBB5ADFE303EB6E358.ashx

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
Wow! Thanks for sharing the videos... It is obvious that a lot of UConn players are going to be the beneficiaries of Mo dropping dimes in their direction. I believe that combination of Mo Jefferson and Breanna Stewart is going to be legendary...the college version of Stockton and Malone :). Hard to believe that MJ is only a junior and that she has a whole year to further polish her skill set...UConn is truly very fortunate that this young lady has decided to bring her college basketball career to CT. Can't wait to see her in UConn blue as she becomes part of the UConn point guard pedigree Rizzotti - Rita Williams - Bird - Maria - DT* - Renee - Doty - Hartley - Mo

*even though DT was a 2 guard she often had to play the point after Sue graduated.

Reaction Score
What's the point? Seems like you're throwing an unnecessarily negative slant here. She's very talented and like any talented high-school player, she will face new challenges at the college level. IMO she is a good fit for Geno's program and where you see him looking to change her style of play and mindset, I see the staff helping her take her style of play to the next level. I see a very exciting future here for her.

Reaction Score
Did Geno not worked to change Shea Ralph? Did he not battle to change Svetlana Abrosimova? Did he not try to change Diana Taurasi? Did he not try to alter things Maya did? I hoped my reference to Bria Hartley would prevent Charde's name from immediately coming up, but that was naive on my part. Watching Moriah play you can see that she has the skills to do the things the UConn offense demands of guards, but there is going to be a transition. How easily she can alter her habits to play in a passing/cutting orientated offense we won't know until she has do it? But there's no reason to assume the worst case scenario. Even while she is adapting she will play significant minutes and be great in transition.

UConn produces great point guards, but it is not an easy place to play for players that grow up playing point guard because Geno takes the ball out of their hands and makes them be a well rounded offensive basketball player. And with good reason Geno almost always tries to teach a basketball player to be a point guard, rather than a point guard to be a basketball player. I wouldn't be surprised if Moriah doesn't play much point guard during the early part of her UConn career as she learns how to play in the system.

Reaction Score
I never said it was an error in recruiting. She's someone that Geno absolutely should have pursued and I'm thrilled she wanted to be a Husky. I also did not say anything about her not being coachable or even imply anything negative about her character. I saw all the qualities you list, which is why she's a great fit for UConn. It was just a simple observation about a challenge she'll likely face when she puts on the UConn uniform. She'll hardly be the first player to face similar challenges at UConn, and she'll likely be far from the first player to meet those challenges successfully. I was simply offering an observation that may help to calibrate expectations for the few that may see value in my opinions.

to be accurate, while she was cut from the USA team she tried out for, she was one of the last 3 cut and made the final 15 players. additionally, she was not only competing against kids her own age, but kids 1 and 2 years older. i'm not sure that being one of the final 15 but being cut says much about the type of player she is or how coachable she is. i don't know enough about who she played for or what kind of coaching/experience she has received, but...
  1. I find it difficult to believe Geno would make an error of that magnitude in recruiting the next great PG to UCONN
  2. i saw a player who took pride in her defense, found open players to pass to, and wasn't afraid to take the ball to the basket.
i can see where some fans might be concerned about her experience (being home schooled and not having as much national experience), but does this kid look like someone who will have trouble fitting in with her teammates?! :)

Reaction Score
Did Geno not worked to change Shea Ralph? Did he not battle to change Svetlana Abrosimova? Did he not try to change Diana Taurasi? Did he not try to alter things Maya did? I hoped my reference to Bria Hartley would prevent Charde's name from immediately coming up, but that was naive on my part. Watching Moriah play you can see that she has the skills to do the things the UConn offense demands of guards, but there is going to be a transition. How easily she can alter her habits to play in a passing/cutting orientated offense we won't know until she has do it? But there's no reason to assume the worst case scenario. Even while she is adapting she will play significant minutes and be great in transition.

UConn produces great point guards, but it is not an easy place to play for players that grow up playing point guard because Geno takes the ball out of their hands and makes them be a well rounded offensive basketball player. And with good reason Geno almost always tries to teach a basketball player to be a point guard, rather than a point guard to be a basketball player. I wouldn't be surprised if Moriah doesn't play much point guard during the early part of her UConn career as she learns how to play in the system.

Well, most people, IMHO, would reserve any such negative expectations, such as yours, until they have some observed facts upon which to base their opinions.

These are nothing more than your opinions, right? And they are based on?

What really bothers me about your posts is that it is possible, if not likely, that Moriah, her family and or friends might read or hear about this negative discussion that is based on nothing more than your unacknowledged opinions.

Svetlana, Diana and Charde were part of the learning curve, IMHO, that suggests to me that Coach A has no intentions of trying to radically changing Moriah's style of play as you are suggesting.

These are, of course, just my opinions.

Peace,

JohnFryer

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Just to clarify my post: for the record:

1. I am a former basketball player / Doing my masters at NYU in Sports Business Management
2. Moriah and I are friends on FB, and those two videos i posted here, she created them herself, she created her own youtube account, and she posted her videos to the public.
3. I would only reference Moriah, Breanna, and Morgan as big east candidates until they sign their letter of intent. :)
thank you for the clarification. glad to have you on board!!!

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
John,

Scotter noted he had seen more than just the clips posted. I consider Scotter one of the most measured posters on the board. When he states something it makes me take careful consideration of what he is sharing. I don't think his post was negative so much an observation that the path may not be simple for Moriah. She has all the talent in the world but that doesn't mean there isn't much to learn and that can be complicated, even trying. In Scotters follow up he notes rightly that DT, Svet and other greatly gifted players have been down that path at UConn. Geno will challenge Moriah to use her talents in ways and to ends that likely she has never considered. There is some flair in her game he will likely expect her to dial back because it has no purpose and serves no end on the court. If s he has a TO because of an extraneous and unnecessary juke we can expect to hear criticism from Geno. He made some comments concerning Lauren's tendency to unnecessary ball handling last year.

I read Scotter's comments less as criticism or a reason for concern than his expectation of what the path may be and a critique of where growth may occur and Geno may challenge her.

Well, most people, IMHO, would reserve any such negative expectations, such as yours, until they have some observed facts upon which to base their opinions.

These are nothing more than your opinions, right? And they are based on?

What really bothers me about your posts is that it is possible, if not likely, that Moriah, her family and or friends might read or hear about this negative discussion that is based on nothing more than your unacknowledged opinions.

Svetlana, Diana and Charde were part of the learning curve, IMHO, that suggests to me that Coach A has no intentions of trying to radically changing Moriah's style of play as you are suggesting.

These are, of course, just my opinions.

Peace,

JohnFryer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members